Wesnoth 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 patch for windows - download inside

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

borsook

Wesnoth 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 patch for windows - download inside

Post by borsook »

DOWNLOAD

Ok, hope I did this right: This is a small patch (3.7 mb!) that'll update your 1.2.2 installation to 1.2.3 just run it and click on browse (...) to point it to your 1.2.2 installation. Please do bear in mind the following:

1. First I wanted to do it a bit prettier and more automated but it was over 7mb, so twice the size so I went for smaller. Hence it's not pretty (no wesnoth icons etc)and you have to be able to find the folder where your game is istalled to by yourself. If people don't like it I can go back to bigger/prettier aproach.

2. If you uninstall wesnoth some files are bound to be left in your wesnoth directory as currently it does not update your uninstall information.

3. I am not to be held resposible in any way for any faults found in this. I can however promise it is virus free and if I did screw something I will fix it.

4. I have not tested this on any other computer beside mine.

5. I've uploaded it to location, that at best should be considered temporary. If anyone has any suggestions, do say so.

6. I don't know how big interest there is in such patches, so I'm not gonna do any more unless somebody requests them to be done.

7.this is not mine but:
As we changed to more recent SDL libraries, there came up incompatibilities here and there. We don't know the exact reasons for them at the moment. If Wesnoth does not start up (that is does not even get to the title screen) do the following:
Copy all files in the "old_system" directory to the installation root directory. Overwrite existing files there if prompted to do so.
freddf

Post by freddf »

Thank you for the patch, will try it tonight, if have time.
For what it worth, I like your approach of a 7-zip compressed archive. It's small and straightforward. Personally I don't install Wesnoth, since it runs just fine when uncompressed and does not use the registry, so your patch suits me just fine. :-)
For a more "flashy" installer, have you considered NSIS or Inno Setup? They both use 7z compression, and the former also support file patching.
borsook

Post by borsook »

freddf wrote:Thank you for the patch, will try it tonight, if have time.
For what it worth, I like your approach of a 7-zip compressed archive. It's small and straightforward. Personally I don't install Wesnoth, since it runs just fine when uncompressed and does not use the registry, so your patch suits me just fine. :-)
For a more "flashy" installer, have you considered NSIS or Inno Setup? They both use 7z compression, and the former also support file patching.
The first patch I did was 1.2.2 to 1.2.3, I started with something as you say a bit flashier, but the patch got 3 mb larger, which in that case was 100% bigger... and I since I got this patching idea thinking of dial-up users only my goal was to make it as small as possible. I did not try the setups you mention though, so I'll give a look
freddf

Post by freddf »

Tested on WinME, it worked fine. Was even able to load the savegames from version 1.2.2. :)
Took a look inside your archive and had some suggestions, if you wish.
I think all the files in Userdata and Userdata/cache are not needed, you may skip the whole directory. This will also preserve user’s settings. :D Same goes for Stderr.txt in the root.
Had a look in 7-zip help file. It seems to be possible to create a decompression script that will display a message to the user and may be even replace automatically existing files, which I guess you can enable by default if you will continue to use this way to distribute the patch.
You may also find interesting this utility, which will enable you to extract the Wesnoth installer eliminating the need to install it: http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

All the best with your endeavour, and hope to see more patches from you.
borsook

Post by borsook »

freddf wrote:Tested on WinME, it worked fine. Was even able to load the savegames from version 1.2.2. :)
Took a look inside your archive and had some suggestions, if you wish.
I think all the files in Userdata and Userdata/cache are not needed, you may skip the whole directory. This will also preserve user’s settings. :D Same goes for Stderr.txt in the root.
Had a look in 7-zip help file. It seems to be possible to create a decompression script that will display a message to the user and may be even replace automatically existing files, which I guess you can enable by default if you will continue to use this way to distribute the patch.
You may also find interesting this utility, which will enable you to extract the Wesnoth installer eliminating the need to install it: http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

All the best with your endeavour, and hope to see more patches from you.
Thanx, I removed the unnecessary files from the patch. As to the method of distribution, I will be in all probability switching to a new (and more advance) one with next realises.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

That's right, the userdata directory is not needed, it gets created by starting wesnoth for the first time if it's not there already. The installer also doesn't provide it.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

Hello,

I have tried it and it works just fine.

So nice job :D
Maintainer Elf War