0.4.9-CVS Save File Problem

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Norvell

0.4.9-CVS Save File Problem

Post by Norvell »

I noticed a problem with the cvs version I got at 2003.10.07 01.07 UTC. When opening any save file (Auto-Save or manual), wesnoth reports this error:

The file you loaded is corrupt or from a different version of the game.

Note that these save files were from the same version which reports the error, not from 0.4.8.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Some units got renamed (Assasin -> assassin in mind).
YOu cab parse the file by hand and correct those things.
vynaldo

Post by vynaldo »

I've noticed the same thing. I completely wiped my save directory to make sure I wasn't trying to load any old versions and the saves produced by the CVS version (i.e. the same one) it refuses to load, giving the "corrupt" message.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Norvell,

Thanks for the bug report!

Yes this was a problem - and I have just fixed it. If you get the latest CVS it should work fine. (But only from new games you saved, the problem was that games weren't being saved problem).

Let me know if the problem reoccurs.

David
Norvell

Post by Norvell »

Dave wrote:If you get the latest CVS it should work fine. (But only from new games you saved, the problem was that games weren't being saved problem).
David
Starting a new campaign, saving it, then loading it seems to work just fine now. Thanks very much.

By the way, the new features in the latest CVS sources are nice. I especially like the `feature' of less expensive troops!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Norvell wrote: By the way, the new features in the latest CVS sources are nice. I especially like the `feature' of less expensive troops!
Elvish Fighters and units from other sides were too cheap compared to other unit types, so other units other than Merman, Thief, and Fighter have been made cheaper.

We will probably make some units such as Shaman and Mage cheaper again in multiplayer mode.

David
Norvell

Post by Norvell »

Dave wrote: Elvish Fighters and units from other sides were too cheap compared to other unit types, so other units other than Merman, Thief, and Fighter have been made cheaper.

We will probably make some units such as Shaman and Mage cheaper again in multiplayer mode.
David
Cool!

This is off-topic, but since you mentioned multiplayer mode: BfW is multiplayer but not across a network, right?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Norvell wrote: Cool!

This is off-topic, but since you mentioned multiplayer mode: BfW is multiplayer but not across a network, right?
There is very early experimental networked multiplayer in CVS.

Go 'Multiplayer' -> 'Host Multiplayer Game', choose a scenario, then make sure that at least one player is a 'networked' player.

The game will then wait for other players to connect.

The other player must then go 'Multiplayer' -> 'Join Networked Multiplayer Game' and choose the address of the machine hosting the game. Once all networked spots have been filled, the game will start.

The game uses port 15000 so this will have to be open.

While waiting for other players to make their turn, the game will 'freeze'. Loading saved networked multiplayer games is currently not possible.

Any testing feedback on networked multiplayer is appreciated.

David
Norvell

Post by Norvell »

Dave wrote:Any testing feedback on networked multiplayer is appreciated.

David
I'll open up that port in my firewall and can have Wesnoth up and running between, say, 03:00 and 06:30 UTC, if anyone's interested. The domain name is houseofspearman.org; my DSL connection isn't the fastest but it can sometimes max out around 80 KB/s (upload).
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Seems thats is better post the IP.
To launch a multiplayer game join the #wesnoth in irc.freenode.net channel and ask there to find players.

EDIT Wrong irc address
Last edited by fmunoz on October 7th, 2003, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norvell

Post by Norvell »

fmunoz wrote:Seems thats is better post the IP.
To launch a multiplayer game join the #wesnoth in irc.freenode.org channel and ask there to find players.
OK: 64.185.54.115
I'll open up the port a little later. I didn't know about the irc channel; thanks.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes I'd definitely recommend using some kind of messaging program or IRC to set up a game at this stage - #wesnoth on irc.freenode.net is probably best. There's no in-game messaging at this stage, and playing against someone who you can't talk to would feel....kind of weird.

Eventually there will be a server that anyone could connect to to more easily find players.

I'd also note that multiplayer may not be very fun at this stage, since there are only two scenarios available, and there has been precisely zero effort put into playtesting multiplayer or tweaking game settings with multiplayer in mind. (but we do have to start somewhere of course!)

EDIT: Oh, and it should be possible to use either an ip address or a hostname to connect.

David