0.4.8 RC4 for Windows

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

0.4.8 RC4 for Windows

Post by Dave »

I have made a new CVS snapshot for Windows that attempts to fix the fullscreen problem found in the version done by Slainte.

See http://www.ventu.info/wesnoth/?WesnothBinaries for details.

Bug reports are much appreciated, as we are planning on releasing version 0.4.8 soon.

David
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

Accelerated speed still doesn't work, making the game unplayable.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

B0rsuk wrote:Accelerated speed still doesn't work, making the game unplayable.
What do you mean by accelerated speed "doesn't work"? You have pressed down the button in preferences, and what happens? Do units move a little faster? Does it skip fading-in on recruit and skip healing?

How fast is your machine? Did accelerated speed work for you on any previous version of the game? If so, which version?

David
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

It works for me at least on my compiled versions... speed is faster for unit moves while activated...
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

Healing and fading in skipped, but I'm sure units don't move any faster.

I've just noticed one strange thing: ALT-Tab causes everything to go much faster (I can hear it). Good way to speed-up AI turn, but I can't see anything.

I'm trying to abuse Rangers, with good results so far. It's start of Scenario3, I have 2 Elvish Druids, 6 Elvish Rangers, 1 Elvish Avenger...

By the way, my preciousss Avenger has exp limit at 73. Wiki unit tables claim it's 80.

I thought Avenger was top level unit for this branch. Going back to testing.
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

Strange, but my Avenger has experience 73/73.

Start of scenario5: Konrad is Lord, 2 Elvish Druids, 8 Elvish Avengers (well one of rangers needs 3 exp more...). Skill level: normal
No unit combination was so easy... so far. Or perhaps I'm sooo elite ;].

I think that units with Leadership aren't good enough, because they can't lead level3 units. Not everyone uses Druids+Outriders...

"Wesnoth-1.ogg is played over and over bug" mystery solved !

I know I haven't reported it, but this is how it worked for me since loong time, so I thought it's obvious and to be fixed.

It happens when one listens to music in background (what B0rsuks often do), and runs Bfd.
Once this blasphemous act is commited, no amount of preferences/config tweaking will help, neither will turning off the music or rebooting the machine. Wesnoth-2.ogg is never played again.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Maybe your 73/73 Avenger was inteligent...
The inteligent trait just lower the amount of exp needed to level.
You can use/abuse any kind of unit, think about groups of paladins healing each other or archmages teleporting around or...
After a couple of times playing the campaing (or just doing the early scenarios again and again) you could beat the ai, same in every strategy game, allways (unless the ai cheats too much)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The music is currently set to play track 2 for scenarios 1 & 2, and track 1 for all other scenarios, and the title screen.

Each scenario has the music that plays during it set in its .cfg file. Playing track 2 for only 2 scenarios, and track 1 everywhere else may seem a little silly, but we're really waiting for more music tracks before making serious decisions about what gets played where. The current implementation is simply a 'proof of concept'.

Level 3 units are generally powerful enough already, without being given a leadership bonus. It may be possible to get Li'sar and Konrad up to level 4 with leadership in the future, but I doubt we'll make a 'normal' level 4 unit with leadership -- or if we did, it'd be very hard to get. You can use a Mage of Light alot like a leader for Lawful level 3 units though.

Rangers/Avengers are probably too powerful at the moment, although it'll be interesting to see how you do in scenario 7, since blades and bows are not great against undead. But as fmunoz points out, once you play a strategy game enough, (or indeed any game), you usually master it, at least on a certain level. A skilled player can beat 'normal' with many different combinations of units. Try moving up to 'hard' if 'normal' is too easy for you. And...wasn't it you who was complaining about scenario 3 being too difficult not so long ago? :)

David
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

The point about Avengers is that all other top level units have exp limit at 500. Strange.

Scenario3 with pack of rangers is now pathetic. I completed it on first try. However it is still frustrating - 2 units can be recalled per turn, and that damn water...

In rc2 I managed to have 4 knights by scenario3, and it seems to work well (Minsc voice: Swords for everyone !, and Charge at archers.

Then what is Captain/Marshal good for in campaign ? Soldier training ?

I look forward to try scenario7. Every time I played it I did it by swords, because mages are quite fragile.

My newest concept to try is Knight+Red Mages+Druids. Should be deadly.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes, the Elvish_Avenger.cfg file says that Elvish Avengers need 80 experience although they advance to 'null'. This will be fixed shortly. (Not in 0.4.8 though, because that is pretty much frozen).

In fact in the future we may change experience to -/- for units that can no longer advance.

David