Compiling 1.1.5 on Ubuntu 5.10

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thanatos

Compiling 1.1.5 on Ubuntu 5.10

Post by Thanatos »

Hey guys...
this is my first self-compiling ever, so please give me a chance:

Followed the instructions on http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CompilingWesnoth for compiling.
All packages that I should install due to this page are installed. (Were all in the sources except libsdl1.2 which is replaced in Ubuntu by libsdl1.2debian - so says apt-get).

Up to now the following errors occured:

1) During ./configure: No c-compiler found. -> installed gcc from the sources. Run ./configure again, problem 1 solved.

2) configure: error C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check.
Any ideas?

Than
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I guess you just got the gcc package without the g++ package which is for C++?
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Thanks... installed the standard Ubuntu-g++-package and ./configure worked absolutely fine...

But now comes problem number 3:

If I type "make", it only says:

Code: Select all

bash: make: command not found
So which pakets do I need either?
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Perhaps you could try out the most obvious answers yourself? By great wonder make is usually contained in a package called make. If you don't know the correct package, just install something and if it was wrong remove it again until you find the right packages. To compile one needs quite a lot of helper tools but usually they're all grouped together into a package by your distribution to be installed as a block. Don't know about Ubuntu, never used it.

Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

There are several simple ways on a debian based system to make sure you have everything to compile a program and/or search for a package.
  • apt-get build-dep wesnoth - gets all necessary dependencies to build wesnoth
    aptitude install build-essential - gets all necessary packages to build programs in general
    apt-cache search string - to search for some package
You should really read a bit of documentation for your distribution's package manager; there is plenty.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Thanks @soliton: That will help me a lot...

Worked all fine, the game is running and looks awesome ;)

Finally all I needed was just the information about the installation of the build-esentials... for my first compilin ever I think this was quite not so hard as I thought.

To prevent those of you which can't hear such stupid beginner questions like mine any longer: Should I edit the Wiki-page about CompilingWesnoth and add a line for the build-essentials? Something like:
If you're compiling for your first time, you will have to make sure, that all needed building packages are installed. On Debian-based System (e.g. Debian, Ubuntu) do

aptitude install build-essential
And by the way my last question - because also this is not totally clear in the Wiki: Is it correct, that I will have to execute "make uninstall" in the /home/thanatos/wesnoth-1.1.5/ directory?

Thanks for your help.

Than
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Thanatos wrote:To prevent those of you which can't hear such stupid beginner questions like mine any longer:
We all were beginners once. But when you already know that you need to install something and search for a tool called make, looking for something named make is obvious enough that you should be able to find it yourself.
The harsh answer would have been - ask in the Ubunto forums since those are the right place to learn how to do the basic setup of your system. Your problem is not specific to Wesnoth at all! :wink:

Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

torangan wrote:Your problem is not specific to Wesnoth at all! :wink:
Hmm, maybe you're right... didn't realize that when I started the topic.
Will think twice next time where to post... for this time it's too late... ;)

Than
lalitnagrath

Post by lalitnagrath »

hi ,
i have ubuntu fiesty fawn (7.04 )
nd i have same error -

checking for OGG support in SDL_mixer... no
configure: error: *** SDL_mixer has no OGG support! You need SDL_mixer with OGG support

i tried ./configure --help .
but it doesnt have any such option as --enable-ogg or like wise!

i downaloaded the 1.2.4 version!
plz help !

Regards
Lalit Nagrath
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

lalitnagrath wrote:hi ,
i have ubuntu fiesty fawn (7.04 )
nd i have same error -

checking for OGG support in SDL_mixer... no
configure: error: *** SDL_mixer has no OGG support! You need SDL_mixer with OGG support

i tried ./configure --help .
but it doesnt have any such option as --enable-ogg or like wise!

i downaloaded the 1.2.4 version!
plz help !

Regards
Lalit Nagrath
You need the "libogg0" and the "libogg-dev" packages as well as "libsdl-mixer1.2" and the "libsdl-mixer1.2-dev" packages. All debian based distributions have the needed files to build a software from the sources in these "-dev" packages, which have to be downloaded separately. If a dependency is not solved you need most probably the -dev package. Remember this.

Greetings from another Feisty user