[Historical] Scenario Review: EI 17 - Weldyn Under Attack

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

flammstrudel

Re: Scenario Review: EI 17 - Weldyn Under Attack

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Challenging - Royal Guard)
628 gold (had to replay the former scenario to squeeze every piece of old out)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8 Tough one.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Figuring out a working strategy. First I tried to defeat the northern lich – and succeeded (several times). This, however, usually left me cornered in his keep, unable to hold on until the end. After that I tried to smash the south-western one (his area is way better to defend), but I was overwhelmed by turn 16 or so. Then I discovered that it is possible to lure the south-western boss out of his base before he spends all of his money – that changes everything! Instead of defending your can actually be offensive once you sniped him (Great Mages or arcane enhanced Great Knights can do it easily). The rest is basically a clean-up. Lost no core units, mainly because you can get a fair number of level1 meat-shields for 628. Should be doable to kill all three lichs (got two), although I didn't attempt it and have no intentions of playing the scenario yet another time.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Very good! 9/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Necrophages?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, I started numerous times from turn 1.
Attachments
EI-Weldyn_under_Attack_replay.gz
(60.95 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
Nel

Post by Nel »

Medium, 1.12.0, 636 starting gold

4 - not that difficult, provided I have quite a good recall list and enough gold to recruit a lot of cannon fodder too.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Good

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Not losing a good unit (I did). Difficult to escape the spectres too...

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? no idea

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I've played it twice (forked from turn 4 or 5), the first time to ensure I could survive till the end after I killed the SW lich, but I had almost nothing to do all the time, apart from watching the others chiefs getting killed. The second time, to kill the two other liches too. Was not too difficult.
Attachments
Io-Weldyn_assiégée_revoir_la_partieb.gz
(73.57 KiB) Downloaded 724 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

I badly miss the talkative Great Mage and several other units from the previous (dialogue-only) scenario. As I won Evacuation, I guess I should try killing all leaders here with another elaborate assassination scheme.

---

With evacuation won (= full recall list) and about 650 gold this wasn't too difficult to win with killing all leaders once I settled upon a strategy and didn't try fancy things (restarted from turn 1 several times, when trying to force assassinations). I killed north while defending the center. Before the task force returned most of the rest was beaten in the center, this was possible since the two southern leaders spread their forces to take out the allied leaders. Unfortunately I couldn't rescue any of the allied leaders. Finished turn 15/18 and very little carryover, so I went for the duel. Gweddry was still level 3 and only got level 4 in the final.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 664 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) just to survive - 3; to do well enough to get a good carryover for Weldyn Besieged - 8. I think the difficulty will vary greatly depending on how many veterans you saved in Evacuation. I saved all my best veterans so I had a relatively easy time here.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Saving gold (this means not recalling everyone), grabbing enough villages to keep my income positive
(6) Fun? (1-10) 9
(7) Changes? -
(8) Restarts? None.

Strategy: Recruit 3 cavs to village grab in the NW, NE, and south. Recalled a mix of mages and cavalry, and a silver mage to help village grab. Rushed the southwest leader so I would not have to deal with invisible nightgaunts for the rest of the scenario. I manage to lure him out on turn 3 before he spends all his gold - it wasn't intentional but if he wants to offer me a leaderkill chance I won't complain. After that I moved north and killed the northern leader on the final turn. I end with 400 gold which gives me a nice carryover for Weldyn Beseiged.
Attachments
EI-Weldyn_under_Attack_replay.gz
(69.03 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Med

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Both clear and interesting.

Not getting slaughtered before the turns run out. Saving my best and brightest for the Dual.
What the heck were those faceless things? Gonna give me nightmares.

10. I enjoyed having so much money for the first time. And having high level troops.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None. Its good the way it is.

Yes, restarted once because I got clobbered. :doh:

Once it dawned on me not to hold out on the middle island, it went well.
Started with 633 gold, more than I've ever had before.

While still on the middle island, sent out 6 horsemen to the south, west and east to gain villages. Also used them as decoys to hold back some southern enemy troops, buying me more time in the north. Then I recalled my best troops and moved Everyone north. I had about 10 units moving north.

Defeated the north by turn 8. On the northern keep, recruited more troops using all of my remaining money, total of 33 units. Mostly heavy infantry. I knew I was going to do "The Dual" scenario so I did not care about money. It was so... freeing.

On turn 10, my top level troops were all healed. Everyone was in position, ready for the enemy to come knocking on the door. HI were stationed on the riverbank, the mages behind them for healing. Reinforcements waiting in the rear. The Grand Knights ready to do battle. I can imagine the horses snorting and stomping, the armor clanking and the flags flapping in the wind. The calm before the storm. When the wave hit, it was fun to wallop them in the river. I had been waiting all campaign to do this!
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Easy, survive the night

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Good, I guess

- Holding off against nightgaunts, they were so impossible

- Can't think of any

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review: EI 16 - Weldyn Under Attack

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

Hard, 1.14.6

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It was okay. But still, where is Li'Sar?

Moving my units across the map.

Add Li'Sar. Or give an explanation as to where she is. Did she die?

(8] Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
EI-Weldyn under Attack replay.gz
(54.72 KiB) Downloaded 495 times