Scenario Review: EI 4c - Mal-Ravanal's Capital

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Loci

Re: Scenario Review: EI 4c - Mal-Ravanal's Capital

Post by Loci » May 2nd, 2015, 6:34 pm

taptap wrote:The logic behind a challenge path, that "needs reward", thus effectively makes the rest of the campaign easier, escapes me.
Rewarding the player for completing challenges is the essence of a game. While you might find the victory screen sufficient motivation for an optional scenario, many players expect more. When faced with an optional scenario that doesn't further their objectives, players just skip it. Your example, TRoW, demonstrates this clearly; quoting from the walkthrough:
The swamp scenario is relatively easy, while The Midlands could cost you some leveled units or even prove impossible to beat if you are low on gold. Also, the swamp gives you a free loyal White Mage, so it's a no brainer, unless you want more of a challenge.
Also, a loyal paladin may unbalance the campaign difficulty a little, but it pales in comparison to the feast-or-famine gold reward system.

Inky

Re: Scenario Review: EI 4c - Mal-Ravanal's Capital

Post by Inky » September 26th, 2015, 7:58 pm

(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 100 gold (min)
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 10 (to save all the knights)
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Saving the knights and killing an undead leader before the banebows catch up to you.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 10 - I absolutely love this scenario, and it's one of my favorite Wesnoth scenarios. It's basically like a puzzle level.
(7) Changes? Maybe move the Revenants a couple hexes closer. Currently, you must have planned in advance and leveled shocktroopers/mages with the quick trait, which makes a turn of difference for reaching some of the revenants, which is a huge deal. Without any quick units I doubt it is even possible to free all the knights.

Also, I do not think there should be an early finish bonus here, since the other scenarios which lead to the next one have short turn limits and therefore won't give much carryover. Getting 5 knights and a loyal paladin is enough reward.

(8) Restarts? Several (3-4) from scenario start. This is a scenario that takes experimentation for what works and what doesn't. Although it takes me several disastrous
attempts to come up with my strategy, I believe the strategy I finally use is pretty reliable. It helps me a lot that Dacyn and Gweddry reached level 3 last scenario - while not essential to the strategy it greatly reduces reliance on luck.

Strategy: I go for the Northwest leader because many of the knights are already in the northwest, and my units will also be in the northwest to free those knights. So I recruit a (sacrificial) heavy infantryman on the left whose job is to try and lure some units from the northern undead southward. The other recruits are a shocktrooper in the SE hex(quick), red mage (quick) in the NE hex, a white mage and another red mage (nonquick).

The white mage and the quick shocktrooper go to free the southernmost knight on turn 3 and then get out of there ASAP (I get lucky and the mage gets full hits, so I pull the shocktrooper back). Gweddry (who is level 3 and has the arcane amulet, letting him kill a revenant in 1-2 turns) attacks the revenant above on turn 3, killing it on turn 4. Dacyn + the quick red mage get the northeast knight + paladin, then circle around to help the other red mage with the two northwestern ones.

Sent all the freed knights northwest - if you put a knight in the leader's range he will always dash out (onto 30% def terrain) and this gives you a sure kill next turn. The sacrificial HI (sacrifice it only after you free all the knights!) has died for a good cause and lured most of the northern level 1 undead southward so I only have to kill a few corpses to reach the leader.

I manage to save all the knights but I lose my experienced quick/fearless shocktrooper in the process. I get slightly lucky on the last turn and my white mage narrowly avoids death.
Finished turn 8/26.
Attachments
EI-Mal-Ravanal’s_Capital_replay.gz
(36.17 KiB) Downloaded 136 times