[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 7b - Undead Crossing

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 7b - Undead Crossing

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

(1) medium, 1.1.7
(2) quite difficult (7)
(3) very clear
(4) the cuttlefish were quite unexpected and nasty, but luckily they accepted my offering of a spearman instead of a more worthy unit. :)
(5) time (turns went to 15/18), money (I'm running out of it, 84 gp after this scenario), keeping my mages from the cuttlefish
(6) In the previous one, I learned when not to rush, in this one I learned when to rush. Variety is good. (7)
(7) perhaps more money and respectively more money to the opponent, however it could break some of the "desperate rush with few units" idea
Mr. Wednesday

Re: Scenario Review - EI: Undead Crossing

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? medium, 1.2.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5 for survival, 11 for time
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? perfectly
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? The lack of time is not sufficiently motivated. The sea monsters are a nice touch.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? I found it impossible to meet the time limit, even after attempting to alter my strategy to move more quickly.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8 aside from time issues
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? I think about three more turns (maybe even two) would give enough time to get a workable force throught to the island to finish it. As is, I found it impossible, despite multiple attempts (including a change of strategy). I get held up too long by the sea monsters.
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

turin wrote:(Please do not reply if you are not running 1.1.1 or later, as there have been changes to the scenario since previous versions.)
:annoyed:
previous post date: July 26th, 2006
your post date: June 3rd, 2007
:annoyed:
Daiker01

Post by Daiker01 »

(1) Medium 1.8.0
(2) 7
(3) Very clear
(4) Good.
(5) Moving across swamps and water with shock toops was nearly impossible. I ran out of turns in my first attempt, then used the 2 paladins I had and this improved the situation a lot.
(6) 6
(7) Change the map so there is more solid ground, or give the player some units capable of fighting in the water and swamps.
bilu

Post by bilu »

1.8.0 hard

11 with no advance knowledge, 8 after figuring out what's going on.

fine

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

o.k.

Finishing on time. Not loosing major units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Some reward for taking this path a la iotd in httt.
The only way I found to finish this on hard was to do a cavalry rush from the eastern side. Even with this strategy I think there is an element of luck to succeeding in this scenario. May be its a matter of gold - I had only 111 so couldn't recall more than one castle. I had a paladin and a cavalier and it was tight. Don't see how you can make it with lesser forces. Basically you need to go through the capital scenario and get the paladin to have any chance here. This means you have to do the capital, kill the undead leader in two paths (which imho is harder than killing the orc) and than this one. This sequence is much harder than the other path and doesn't offer any tangible benefit in return.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging, 1.8.3

9.5 with 203 starting gold

Clear.

I was confused by the discussion of orcs and ogres on the other side of the river. I know you're trying to sketch out future scenarios, but given that there is a river here, I was at first wondering where the orcs and ogres would be. Maybe use clearer wording or better yet, put it at the end of the scenario. Then the warning that there would be tougher baddies than this undead would really carry some weight.

I was expecting the cuttlefish to attack the undead, given that I've seen cuttlefish maybe 6 times in previous scenarios, and they always attack everyone. Okay, the undead summoned them, but that doesn't mean he controls them. When I saw cuttlefish flagging villages, then I got a clue, though that still looks weird to me.

The big challenges are the three cuttlefish and limited crossing points, combined with bats ready to block the crossing points. The time limit restricts your strategic options. It's hard to get used to the idea that you can only send a couple units across the eastern crossing and that the rest of your troops need to withdraw, maybe even before the cuttlefish appear. Otherwise, they get into a traffic jam on the isthmus and the cuttlefish start cutting them to pieces.

The Wiki as usual recommends shock troopers in a situation where speed is required. Shock troopers are good for two things in this scenario: killing bats (which other units can do better) and getting killed by cuttlefish, because shock troopers are too slow to run away from cuttlefish in swamps.

After many attempts, I was able to win when I took shock troopers, but lost two of them. I won another time with just one quick shock trooper, but lost a red mage. I was worried that these losses were too much, given that I had taken the easy route a few scenarios ago. Finally, I won using no shock troopers with a loss of only two cavalrymen. (Replay attached.)

For anyone stuck, basically my strategy was a two pronged calvary assault across the crossing points, with the mages and fighters moving to quickly kill all the undead around the eastern crossing point (time of day be damned), so that the calvary can cross before the cuttlefish come, which is always on turn 10. The western calvary task force should ride along the southern edge, to avoid attracting attention from submerged undead and bats. It's helpful to have both calvarymen and horsemen (and of course dragoons, palladins, etc., if you have them.) One bat can stall the western offensive, so use at least four units including a dragoon or palladin or something.

One less cuttlefish and push the remaining two north.
Attachments
EI-Undead_Crossing_replay.gz
(19.33 KiB) Downloaded 1051 times
slyeyes

Post by slyeyes »

(1) Medium, 1.8.5

(2) 8, 228 starting gold

(3) Very.

(4) At first i did not get why the necromancer summons cuttlefish, but since they are practicioners of dark arts and not necessarily just necromancers, it's alright.

(5) Reaching the necromancer without losing too many units. Fortunately, i only lost one white mage.

(6) 5

(7) A warning. Or maybe the necromancer could summon one cuttlefish this turn and one next turn. Raising turn limit to 20 and less shallow water would help too.
Xindage

Re: Scenario Review - EI 7b - Undead Crossing

Post by Xindage »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.15.7, Normal (Normal - Swordsman)
223 gold

Clear.

Keeping Owaec alive and beating the scenario with a tight turn limit.

4 Nothing special in that scenario...

I dont really know, it's just a repetitive go and kill the leader.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Owaec diening twice to the fishes.

(9) About the replay.
On this run iIjust abused of the magical hit chance to deal with the fishes and tried to hurry at the leader, this time he spreaded his unit better (for me) so I was able to reach him in time. nothing much special beside it.
Attachments
EI-Undead Crossing replay 20201203-202159.gz
(31.08 KiB) Downloaded 267 times