[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 2 - The Escape Tunnel

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 2 - The Escape Tunnel

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
jg

Post by jg »

(1): Easy and 1.1.1
(2): 4-5
(3): Very clear - make it out of the tunnel
(4): Quite interesting
(5): Keeping my heroes alive
(6): 6-7 (more to the seven)
(7): Make the tunnel or scenario longer - otherwise a great scenario.
Gauteamus
Translator

Re: Scenario Review - EI: The Escape Tunnel

Post by Gauteamus »

(1) 1.1.2a on Hard
(2) 5 the fighting an sich was quite easy, but timing and distribution on forces made some replays necessary.
(3) Very clear objectives
(4) Clear and fairly interresting dialogue.
(5) As keeping units alive was quite simple (enough bottlenecks), the real challenge was to get some XP out of the scenario, and still meet the other goals, reach the exit, and pick up gold cache.
(6) 7
(7) At one point I wanted the undead/troll ratio to lean more in favour of UD. This would increase the feeling of running as the only alternative, and as my strat was to hole up in the cave with holy water and pick the spoils after trolls and UD had fought it out, I think I would have gotten easier XP with more undead survivors that trolls :)
This might however lead to there being only one viable strategy, and anyway I think the scenario was impressively balanced challengewise. Afterall I only got Gweddry to the Exit at turn 22/22.
Play Dwarf Fortress, where berserker dwarves really make you cry!
My favourite Bach site:
-To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

(1) medium 1.1.7
(2) noticeably difficult (6)
(3) well... "get out" is very clear, but then again, how to do it...
(4) I'd like to have more interaction with the dwarves, I'd also like them to give me the directions to the exit (they supposedly know it.) I initially thought that I should go through the troll cave, and almost lost the game because of that (luckily, my leader went examining the dwarf tunnel and got there just in time (20/24) and relatively unopposed. When I re-played the whole scenario, I sent my leader to complete the level alone, held the trolls at bay and slaughtered the undead with my lv2 units. This might be a bit un-storywise. Also, I'd like the main characters to be portrayed a bit more, and maybe something revealing of their relationship.
(5) Figuring out the map of the cave, and the opposition's strategy
(6) I'll give just 4, since there were too many argh's
(7) Make the dwarves give directions, put some opposition on the other end of the tunnel so that the leader cannot just walk through unopposed, make it impossible to completely defeat the undead (they had those endless forces from the previous scenario, remember?), option not to autopickup the amulet for the first unit. I miss Moremirmu the white mage from HttT, maybe she'd be too über here.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 4 - lost a couple of units, but the trolls weren't blocking the exit route, so that part went unopposed.
3) Clear
4) Good
5) Initially I went for the trolls, but this was too much hard work with a small force, so once I'd explored enough of the southern passage to know it was going somewhere, I fled.
6) 7
7) The undead could be scarier; I easily held them at bay with a holy-amulet spearman and the white mage.
8 ) start gold ~120
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

1. normal 1.2.4 1.3.8
  2. 5
  3. 8
  4. it was cool to meet the dwarves and a relief to get their help
  5. in 1.2.4 i usually ended up staying near the entrance and killing off the pursuit and then going east when the trolls were beaten up by the dwarves

in 1.3.8 it was trivial to grab the amulet, harass the trolls a bit and get Gweddry out the eastern tunnel without any delays.

one thing i never got around to was searching for the trolls' treasure. if i had realized how much cash was needed in later scenarious i probably would have.
  6. 7 but it is a bit strange to have Gweddry escapng by himself while the troops hang around in the tunnels gaining experience
  7. random alternate routes or placement of hostile forces so that if the scenario is reloaded it isnt obvious which way to go.
Krellja

Post by Krellja »

Medium, 1.6.5
3 on the second try. I had to reload once. In the first try, I went directly to the troll cave.
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
ok.
As told in (2) I had to reload once.
5, it is nice, to see a battle between undead and rolls :)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No changes.
miekka

Post by miekka »

1. medium 1.6.5
2. 6
3. Clear enough (though you could say that you need to bring Gweddry at the end of the tunnel, other units won't do)
4. still ok
5. knowing which way to go
6. 5... at first I thought the undead and trolls wouldn't go at each other, but if they didn't it would've been impossible...
7. none
Daiker01

Post by Daiker01 »

(1) Version 1.8.0 on Medium
(2) Difficulty: 7
(3) Very clear
(4) Neither clear nor interesting
(5) A single wrong movement and you get caught by the undeads
(6) Fun: 5
(7) I would change Dacyn's dialog, it seems a bit odd. ("I don't know where we are. There are trolls here" and "It doesn't matter" (who are thouse liches)). Maybe he could just say that they have no time for explanations until they reach a safer place.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging; 1.8.3

9. It's 10 if you mostly stand and fight, but 2 if you run.

Not clear at all. On the last turn, I chose to move a mage to the exit instead of Gweddry, because the victory conditions did not specify Gweddry, and so I lost.

Very interesting situation of being chased and winding up with enemies on both sides. Good continuity from the previous scenario, except the same monsters that came into the tunnel should have been bearing down on the castle at the end of the last scenario, even if they wouldn't reach it.

At first I tried to fight, and it's really tough, since that troll leader will dart out at you when you don't expect it, plus you have the undead bearing down on you on the other side. After a few attempts, I did finally beat all the trolls and undead, but then time is a problem on "challenging" difficulty. So I had to play again and chose to run, which made it easy.

Clarify the objective.
Attachments
EI-The_Escape_Tunnel_replay.gz
(18.49 KiB) Downloaded 1116 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, 201 starting gold

In the big picture, get to end of tunnel, but you really have no clue where that is.

OK

Figuring out which way to go. I died about 6 times trying to get through the trolls. Never did manage to kill Troll chief (to a large extent because damn dwarves get in way at in opportune times).

Figuring out how to get Gwedry the holy amulet without him getting trapped in north cave and butchered by trolls.

6, it took me a lot of tries and I was getting tried of it by the end.

Give player a clue that they need to guard their backside. Leaving a HI in the village by the starting fort clogs things up enough you dont get caught from behind. I dies so many times trying to get through without being caught and never succeeding.

Give player some clue they need to take the southern route. A dwarf could tell the player that.

At some point I read the wiki and tried to follow its advice, which got me killed even faster - I think the number of trolls has increased since it was written. I found you just couldn't run, you get caught and mages and spearmen get slaughtered by trolls.

I ended up recalling nothing but my ST & HI and they held the central cave long enough for Gwedry to get the amulet and let everyone get into the south passage, then running worked just fine.
Attachments
(16.4 KiB) Downloaded 824 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
2 - easier than the last. If you keep going southwest you won't run into much trouble. Though I did level up a HI backed by a White Mage while pluging the bottleneck so the undead couldn't get through.
It's clear, but if you know the level, it can be confusing.
There wasn't much dialogue...maybe I don't remember though.
Running but not losing too many chances to get xp.
7 - more adventuresome than the first.
Buff the trolls. I met almost no resistance escaping...that's a problem.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

1.8.4,medium

6,but may be 8 or 9 depending on your strategy.

There is a point.I had managed to kill the dark sorcerer.At that time the northern gate opens up.A proper reason may be provided by Dacyn urging Gweddry not to take that path,instead go southwest.

Quite interesting

Nothing as such.I gave the amulet to a quick HI and sent him with a shocktrooper backed by Dacyn to defend a narrow region south of the starting castle.Another shocktrooper along with 2 ready to level HIs were sent to battle the trolls with a mage ready to level up.Gweddry along with another mage and 2 spearmen went southeast.The holy HI banished the ghosts in a single stroke and soon levelled up.Within a few turns the undead were finished and I marched the HI and Dacyn to kill the dark sorcerer.

No change needed.
Attachments
(21.1 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
BfWEthnographer

Post by BfWEthnographer »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal; 1.8.5
Clear
Engaging
To understand which is the best way to slow down/stop the chasing undeads
---
Attachments
(21.51 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

easy. I recruited two mages (restarted to luck out a "quick" trait), one pikeman, and recalled a quick and experienced HI unit. Killed 3 trolls leveling up my HI man, took the amulet and ran to the exit. Killed one ghost making my quick mage about 2/3 experienced to the 2nd level.

clear

I don't like the dialogue with the dwarf leader. From his words and tone one can conclude there is a whole dwarven army standing firm and nothing can push over them. In reality, they have 3-4 units and should understand they can't hold against the undead. In the end, the talk leaves a feeling the dwarves are simply brainless, and the player's men simply decide to let them die not even trying to explain it will happen for sure.

nothing

it's moderately fun

mostly like it as is, the only thing is I'd removed some more shroud in the NW so a few hexes of grass&castle are visible. This might add a bit better connection with the previous map. Also, see p.4

The replay is broken.