Scenario Review: SoF 9 - Caverns of Flame

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SoF 9 - Caverns of Flame

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Grumpy

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 9 - Caverns of Flame

Post by Grumpy »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
- Normal / 1.4-1
- It was a bit confusing tbh partly. At the point when it said "kill all the elves before any of them escapes" text... I first thought it meant I had to kill it :shock: . Well, obviously, it didn't end up that way and I only killed like 2 of them. :P
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
- Dialog is clear and average in terms of interesting
- This scenario was pretty easy. So, there's really no major challenge.
- 8 - Though easy, it was a fun way to end the campaign.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
- Maybe change the wordings on the req quote i said above... But i'm not sure how it would be put either... After I did it, it was quite clear... Maybe just "don't let any elves escape" or something like that?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
- I had to load once b/c I wasn't sure what I was to do... LoL, i tried to take over one of the orc/troll's settlement. haha. And elves then pinned me from the back. Guess that was stupid of me tho.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
- I don't know WML
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord (Hardest) 1.4.6

3. I have an army of level 3 dwarves. A few paltry level 2 orcs and trolls are no challenge. I love thunderers as well, so the units in the middle were wiped out pretty quickly.

Crystal.

Probably one of the best ones in this campaign. Feels like a last stand, the caverns are coming down around you, the lava is building, trolls are after you, the elves have caught up to you. Good stuff.

Watching the trolls kill all of the elves for me. In seriousness, none.

4. The concept is good, but if a player is smart he can race quickly to the middle and then trigger the switch so that the trolls move out to kill the elves. If he is even smarter, he can do what I did and wait until the elves are just in far enough so that they are hit from the front and rear, and therefore the orcs/trolls and elves are more interested in each other and leave you well enough alone.

Make the enemies come after you as well.

None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I like the eruption change in the map, as well as the collapsing of the walls for the trolls.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
rykus

Post by rykus »

Medium

Trolls did most of the work for me, but I took a few good smacks before igniting the volcano and letting the hordes pour over the elves

Very clear

The intro dialog was a bit repetitious, saying there was no way out about 3 different times.
But the last part was great. There was a bit of an epic feel to the hordes of enemies and the volcano falling apart, and the sacrifice to keep the scepter safe

Finding the glyph and waiting to use it. I restarted a couple of times before I had it. My first attempt, I split my forces in half to search more ground, and got STOMPED

8 - really cool feel to this one.

Maybe a slightly larger map - but I realize how much of a pain that would have been.

Just my own mistakes - splitting forces to search the cave and setting off the volcano way too soon.

n/a
Javelin

Post by Javelin »

Medium
Pretty clear, difficult to understand the directive about killing the elves. It seemed impossible with dozens of trolls inbetween, but I guess they did the job.

Very good, epic and heroic.

No real challenge, I lost a lof of dwarves but found the rune and the trolls took care of the rest.

The amount of trolls was a little over the top, It would have been fun to help them with the elves a little.

After the volcano outburst when everyone dies and the griffin says "I'll go now" (or something like that) Wesnoth crashes out. Happens everytime, even when i tried to replay the scenario. Everything works fine up until the griffins line.

The griffin, having scouted across the lavapassage to the west ended up in the middle of the elves when they appeared. Reload and avoid to scout.

n/a
LDiCesare

Post by LDiCesare »

Normal, version 1.6

Very murky. The first objective is to explore as much as possible. So I sent the griffon over the lava to explore passageways I couldn't walk into. Time to get him back, he was blocked by elves. Since he shouldn't die, the opening objective proved very bady worded. If you do explore, you lose. You actually have to run straight forward, which I would have done without this objective.
More problems later on as it's not clear at all where to stand in order to save the sceptre but that may be a bug, see answer to (8).

Quite clear although it's a bit repetitive.

Understanding that you're just supposed to run straight and not explore as much as possible as you are told to.

7. Good.

Don't say you have to explore when you should not, make win condition more clear.

Actually, the game systematically crashes for me (bug 13296). This doesn't let me finish the scenario.

Sorry, don't know and didn't check.
silent

Post by silent »

I was rather disappointed with the last 2 scenarios in this campaign. The dragon didn't come near me and it was far too easy to run straight down the road, slaying weak orcs in my path and the see elves trapped by loads of great trolls

Dwarven Steelclad (medium I think) 1.4.7
2. Straight down. a few sacrificial scouts will show you side passages = death
clear enough, you need to explore to find the volcano glyph
Pretty good. Poor dwarves must make a last stand by slaughtering everyone in a most suicidal kind of way. Good heroic last stand
nothing.
2. The only reason this isn't a 1 is because I like the twist that most of the heroes die
Some stronger opposition please
no
I don't know WML
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

[quote="Mythological"](1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
medium, 1.6.4

1 or 10. I think there's a bug... see my problem below

3. I didn't really know what to do but move forward and try to hang near the glyph.

see below
1. Even if I can figure out the bug, it's still pretty low. Most of the beginning scenarios were much better!
Well, there's not much to do in the last 3 scenarios, really.
So I get to turn 11, and the volcano erupts, and EVERY square is melted, and Krawg says "Me all alone", and then the program quits...not "The game has ended", but the whole program quits. Happened 3 times. Twice I had my main dwarf on the glyph, and the other 2 crowns right next to him, third time we were all adjacent to the glyph. Only three spots that didn't melt are the three cave wall pillars near the glyph.

So as they say, fugghetabadit.
xanthan

Post by xanthan »

normal 1.6.5

5, except for the end

Extremely unclear. It seems like I'm supposed to go out the exit at the bottom of the map, but nothing happened when I got there except all my characters bunch up at the bottom, and then we die when the volcano goes off. All the elves are dead. From reading elsewhere in the forums, it appears that you are not supposed to be able to exit, and that we all die, win or lose. Why then is this not made apparent? Why does there appear to be an exit?

Interesting, but not clear at all. The dialog implies that we have to go through the exit to win, but apparently this is not possible. Very confusing.

Not being able to leave by the exit.

1 with this problem (bug?), 8 otherwise.

Fix the bug, or if it's not a bug make it clearer what is going on.

I tried several times to get around this problem, but it always ends the same way.

SagSchlahne

Post by SagSchlahne »

Normal, Version 1.7.13 aka 1.8-beta6

2, for a couple of reasons i will tell later.

Very clear, nothing to complain about.

I liked it, it was well written and fit into the story.

Getting my hereos to the safe hexes near the rune.

7. I like seeing those stupid elves gatting slain by the trolls and in the end everything burning :D

I liked it as it was. Maybe give the trolls some dialogue, i can imagine they are not very happy when some dwarves and elves enter their place and burn it ;)

No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be
documented better?
I don't know about WML, but when I started the scenario an error message about an unknowm unit type occured when my gryphon rider from the last scenario spawned. I had to be quick and used Ctrl+S to save the game and reload it before he was spawned. This seemed to have caused that the orcish guards near the rune did not spawn and I could easily walk through, without any difficulties.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Steelclad (Challenging)

Initially 8, but after I reached the glyph and the trolls and elves started killing each other it went down to 6

Clear.

Very interesting.

Avoiding too many casualties until I reach the glyph (since I went for it directly and only slowed down the trolls with expendable units).

No changes.

No, fortunately.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.4
1 - didn't even need to wait. I had more than enough troops and un
Washing the trolls just spell the elves' demise.
Maybe mentioning something about finding the source of the volcano?
Better.
None.
2 - a little anti-climatic.
Make those actually a challenge.
Nope.
Didn't check.
All in all, this is a fun campaign, but suffers from a somewhat odd storyline, and a disspointing last 2 scenarios. It was good in the beginning, but lost it at the end. But the gameplay was nice, and the maps were well made. Check out my full review in my blog (link in my sig).
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4

8. It's tough to assign a number. But I can't say it was easy, but it's hard to avoid the lava, not knowing where it will go next, and by the end, my forces were so wounded that I could not have held out much longer.

Objective: explore as much of the cave as possible?! If you try to do that as quickly as possible, you wind up fighting Trolls all over the place. And it doesn't seem to be a real objective. Maybe the objective should be "Find the magical trigger for the volcano".

Later, we're not supposed to allow Elves to escape, but that implies there is an exit for them, which I did not see. I guess maybe the exit straight up, over the glyph, out the mouth of the volcano? Also, I was not sure which hexes would be safe from the lava. (It turned out, none were in the end, but I mean before that.)

Thursagan: "We should keep going. Remember what Khrakrahs said, about this being a volcano? I think we should try to cause it to erupt. It will kill all the elves, and we might be able to find a safe place so the lava doesn't kill us."
Me: "This sounds... ridiculous."
Rugnur: "This sounds... plausible."
Me: "Argh."
Thursagan: "I have a suspicion that there is an opening somewhere near here than leads to the surface. Somewhere near there, there is probably a magic object of some kind that will cause the lava to flow."
Me: "Yes, of course, that is how all volcanoes work."

The main challenge was holding off Elves+Dwarves, Trolls, and Orcish Warriors on three different fronts, while having no access to healing facilities. Additionally, I was always paranoid about the lava. I was afraid to put Dwarvish Lords near the lava, since I didn't realize this was the last scenario.

Maybe make the top tunnel wider, so that the Elves can't hold off the Trolls for so many turns with just a couple of Avengers.

Surprisingly, no.

Rugnur: "These orcs appear to be guarding something."
Thursagan: "It is probably the magical object. Attack them!"

This dialog was never triggered for me.

All in all, the campaign was really pretty good, with some unusual scenarios requiring unusual tactics, which I like. None of the scenarios were broken, in my experience. However, the dialog may be the worst of any mainline campaign. It suffers from being childish. For Krawg, I suggest making him completely incomprehensible at all times, while having the other characters semi-repeat what he says. This dialog in Caverns of Flame comes close:

Krawg: "Krawg sme' o'cz in iz 'ave!"
Thursagan: "Indeed, there may be orcs lurking here. We should beware of them."

But I would change Krawg's line to something like "Krawg tah kree kah kah!"

If you watch the following replay, I suggest at least 2x acceleration under preferences.
Attachments
SoF-Caverns_of_Flame_replay.gz
(45.74 KiB) Downloaded 1539 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Overall this was a whacky campaign. The storyline, with years passing at certain points and strange elven-dwarven alliances, never really came across as realistic. There were some interesting scenarios in terms of strategy. Dialog was verbose. The overall effect on me was I started ignoring the storyline and just fighting the fights. So I respect what the campaign designed was doing, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

1.8.4, Hard

7, I think. I guess I succeeded...

Not very.

First "explore the caves" - I never know what that means. It seems like the real first object is to find the glyph and set off the volcano, which I managed to stumble into finally by luck. (I see in the WML the intent is for that to become the objective, but a bug keeps that from triggering.)

Then "Kill all the elves before they escape" .... first, it's not clear how they could escape. If they can escape back north, they could walk out and given there are a horde of level 3 trolls and dwarves between me and them, there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. Fortunately they don't seem interested in escaping but instead throwing themselves at the huge army of trolls who are happy to sit back and crush them.

I thin the actual objective here is "survive until you die"? "Outlive the elves"? Honestly, I'm not sure what I was doing once the volcano went off.

Uh, I have no idea how to answer that. This campaign has some interesting scenarios but the storyline and dialog is just whacky.

It was a while before I realized Thursagan has the Spectre. Yeah, in retrospec it seemed obvious, but a hint would help (I harken back to HttT, with some dialog talking about crisping orcs after the Sceptre is found).

It wasn't clear to me Krawg escape, I thought he died too.

Getting out of the four-way &%$*-fest you find yourself in, with elves and dwarves from the north and orcs/trolls from the S, W, and E. I managed to break through to the east and get myself down that passage, otherwise, I'm not sure I would have survived.

Otherwise, just generally figuring out what to do.

4. More confusing than fun.

Clarifying the objectives would go a long way.

Amazingly, no. I don't understand how.

"These orcs appear to be guarding something." - never triggered for me. Would have helped.

"#triggering the volcano" - more one-line comments like these summarizing event would help.
Attachments
SoF-Caverns_of_Flame_replay.gz
(51.54 KiB) Downloaded 978 times
dahlia

Post by dahlia »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, hard

5, but only because I misunderstood the level. (See below.)
Replaying it with an understanding was a 1.

Not very.
Like other commenters, I found "explore" puzzling.
Also, I didn't expect the huge army of troll warriors, so I figured I had to kill off the elves myself before setting off the glyph. This actually isn't a bad thing, though... it makes the level more fun.

Meh.
In general, the dialog in this campaign suffers from too high a click-to-content ratio.
The barely-intelligible gryphon was funny, though.
Also, there was something very funny about killing off every hostile unit on the level and having the dwarves sit around going "Well, we're trapped and it's hopeless, I guess we have to kill ourselves now." Should be a Monty Python routine.

The first time through I ran into a bug... it turns out that if you kill all the elves first, and then set off the glyph, the scenario never actually ends. Oops.
Tactically, it was pretty trivial... charged straight south, ran right over the orc guards, blocked the passages with L3 runemasters, and sat tight while the elves, dwarves, orcs and trolls killed each other. Then mopped up.
The lack of villages in the south was a problem, but with lots of troops and an infinite turn limit I just waited a VERY LONG TIME to heal up my units.
[Incidentally, having now played the Elf and the Dwarf campaigns, I'm really enjoying the tactical difference that comes of Elves having cheap healers and Dwarves having no healers.]

Hard to say. The first time through, killing everybody in sight, was fun... especially without any villages at first.
The second time... watching them all fight each other is entertaining, but mostly I prefer to actually *do* something in scenarios.

Fix the bug so that killing all the elves doesn't make the scenario unwinnable.
Make it more of a tactical challenge. My suggestion is to have three different runes, one by each enemy keep, and require having a unit on each one to trigger the volcano (like in scenario 2).

See above.

N/A