Scenario Review: SoF 6 - Towards the Caves

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SoF 6 - Towards the Caves

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
baro_st

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 6 - Towards the Caves

Post by baro_st »

(1) Easy
(2) Difficult 9/10, because I had Alaning to move to SE destination, beyond a lot of fast elves
(3) Objective almost clear, some doubt about the right destination of Alanin
(4) Nice dialog, storyline interesting
(5) It's easy to move Rugnur to the cave, because dwarves fight and move well on the hill; it's very difficult to protect Alanin because when the dwarves arrive, there are too many elves in the south
(6) Fun 8/10
(7) Maybe with more gold and one more objective: defendig the starting cave
(8) I had to restart some times for the dead of Alanin; I have reached the objective with 4 gryphon riders, recruited and sacrified attracting the attention of the elves; I had a little help from Thursagan and Krawg; I kept Alanin (almost) safe moving near or into the river
(9) WML is clear, not well commented, but maybe it is not necessary
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
- Normal / 1.4-1
- 9~10 :evil: Like the post above said, moving alanin is without a doubt the hardest part. The elves just keep making endless units with no way to really stop it. I stood my griffons right up against the fort just so they wouldn't have place to move and create more units to finish it. The dwarf moving was quite easy tho.
(3~8) I agree completely with the above poster.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord (Hardest) 1.4.6

1. Contrary to those above me, I found this astonishingly easy. Alanin can run down the west bank of the river and then cross over to the first tile on the east bank at the very bottom. Fast and not a single elf could touch him. Not to mention, I sent a griffon north for the elves to chase, and only did 2 turns of fighting with the green elves before he reached the caves.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Better than the others, bit of plot development here with Alanin heading south, as well as the dwarves starting to realize the plight they are in finally.

None.

5. Despite the lack of difficulty, the idea is great, I just think there should be more of a fighting retreat feel and not a mad dash for the caves.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
See above, I would perhaps have the cave entrance changed so that the player must fend off the elves to reach the cave.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
rykus

Post by rykus »

Medium

Running the Alanin down the west bank, then crossing at the end was my strategy, too. Took only about 3 turns to get him off the map.

The difficult part was rushing past the northern elves. If I stop to fight, it takes too long. If I run, using my troops as blockers, I lose a LOT of troops. And I had recalled all my high level units.

Very

Seemed a bit forced, but I liked the idea.

Running instead of fighting. I want to clear the NE elves, using a small force to hold off the other 2, but that just takes too much time.

I like the forced change in strategy from punching a hole, to running using troops for cover.

Initially, I would have said more turns. But after realizing that the amount of turns is just enough to force you to run, and not enough to fight through one enemy (at least, not without a lot of max level troops and a good amount of luck), I realized it perfectly conveyed the sense of urgency and retreat, and the feeling of being overpowered, but not overwhelmed.

Death of that stupid gryphon, which was my fault. And running out of turns (several times)

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
n/a
Strikur

Post by Strikur »

(1) 1.4.4 or 1.4.6 (not sure)

(2) 6, Getting past the green elves was challenging. At first I tried to go north and fight them, but that didn't work. Then I tried to go north and just run past, didn't work either. Finally I sent everyone out the east side of base and ran leader past that way and had everyone else fighting on the mountains north/east of the start area.

(3) Clear. I'm glad Alanin didn't have to get to the road and could leave on the ice.

(4) Bonk that king, Oh yeah :lol2: ! Dialog was fine, Story for this campaign is great so far.

(5) Figuring out the right thing to do. Once I figured out I could run dwarfie-leader through the mountains and have everyone else hold in the mountains/switch out when hurt I was fine. The time I beat it I didn't mid-reload at all, and only lost 1 guy.

(6) 6, "Run Away and Don't Fight" is never as fun as getting in there and beating stuff up.

(7) I wouldn't change anything. It fits the story really well.

(8) Leader hit 8 times by 2 marksman, and twice by 1 ranger in same turn while standing on mountain... Gryphon (whats-his-name) died when I made him attack stupididly. Restarted another time when I tried to fight elves in forest with runemasters :roll: .

(9) No Comment
sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

Easy 1.6

8. Really hard until I figured out the best strategy, and not a walkover even then, more a skin-of-the-teeth job. Incidentally, this is not the first time I find a scenario much harder on Easy than Turuk has apparently found it on Hard. I reckon the forum manager should ban him from posting :wink: it misleads everbody :)

Easy enough.

Good fun.

Finally figuring out that heading in a straight line for the objectives can't work. In both cases you must head in a loop to prevent yourself being cut off, and its best to not even fight, keep moving continually.

I think I would have found it short and sweet if I'd got the strategy right first go. As I didn't, I found it annoying and frustrating. A 5 then, all for the dialog at the beginning.

At least on Easy setting, make it a little less instant death if you don't find the perfect strategy first go. As it stands, this is a scenario where there's no second chance, no room for error, even on Easy.

Plenty, mostly involving sharp pointy sticks with feathers on the end.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 5
(3) objectives were clear, how to reach them wasn't.
(4) nice.
(5) Finding the right strategy. Moving Alanin on the eastern shore passing the SE elf by is impossible as he spams to many troops; at first I thought I could kill him. Moving Alanin on the western shore and using some gryphons for distraction, the NE elf still is difficult to fend off.
(6) 6
(7) no idea. Running generally is less fun then fighting.
(8) Loss of hero because of bad tactic or other wrong turns.
(9) N/A
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Steelclad (Challenging)

8 – it proved a real challenge, and was the first scenario in this campaign I started from turn 1 several times.

Confusing. Where, exactly, is Alanin supposed to go? Usually there’s a signpost, but not this time, so I had to guess.

Unlike the objectives the dialog was clear.

Alanin. Just Alanin.

4 – trying to guess where you need to go and how to get there is not fun at all.

Make it clearer where does Alanin need to go.

Trying to get Alanin to wherever he needs to go. The first few attempts I tried moving him SE, near the purple elf, and covering him with griffons. Bad idea. Finally I sent him along the west shore of the river. The problem was that some of the purple elves moved toward him and seemed like they’ll block him from reaching his goal. Fortunately it turned out that crossing the river and then reaching the southern border of the map was enough.

Compared to Alanin’s task reaching the cave entrance was much easier, though due to some bad luck Thursagan almost died near the end. Good thing I had enough units to cover him from all sides.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.4
5 - surprisingly easy. Runemasters are the key. With those I killed the north leader (but consequently lost an almost-leveled pathfinder) :(
Clear.
Not particularly interesting.
High defense rangers and marksmen.
8 - best in the campaign.
Good as is.
Nope.
Didn't check.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4; 283 starting gold

Fairly clear. I had some angst due to lack of signposts.

Meh. They killed a leader just because he tried to snatch the sceptre? I guess the ruby is getting to all of them, but the dialog could suggest this more directly.

The major challenge was to realize that it's a running scenario. The first time, I figured it would be a make-a-stand-kill-all-the-enemy-and-then-stroll-to-the-signpost sort of scenario, which was a big mistake.

With more of a running approach I won, but I lost my two semi-experienced Gryphons (but not Krawg, of course) and a ready-to-level Stalward. It could have been worse.

8. I like running scenarios, when there is some fighting to do along the way.

None.

Yeah, I lost the first time, then read the walkthrough, then won.
Attachments
SoF-Towards_the_Caves_replay.gz
(36.16 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 276 starting gold

Clear.

These dwarves are just a little on the nutty side.

Working out a cannon-fodder ZOC screen for Rugnur.

I found Alanin could make it just by running for it.

Fine for what it is.

First time I recruited two gryphons to screen for Alanin which turns out to be unnecessary, but didn't result in enough units to screen for Rugnur so he got run down.

Second time, what worked for me was 6 sacrificial scouts to screen the elves, which let Rugnur get the cave just barely.

One line comments summarizing each event would be nice.
Attachments
SoF-Towards_the_Caves_replay.gz
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 979 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.5

8 - Another fun challenge.

Run away!

Solid.

I recruited for one turn--all level three units. I lost my lvl 3 gunner. Were I to run it again, I would bring all scouts or guardsman classes.

I finished in round 8/12 with 177 gold and will carry 70 gold over to the next level. No early finish bonus?

8 - I found it a bit easier than the last round, but still a challenge and enjoyable.

Good as is.

Nope.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, Normal

2.) 10

3.) Quite clear

4.) interesting

5.) Didn't get Alanin down at all. In the end I looked in the walkthrough and found the solution. Moving him at the west side of the river is no problem. Moving Ragnur in his cave was not very difficult.

6.) 5 First I thought it was fun, but when I reloaded the third time...

7.) Give a hind, that it is a better idea to move him down at the west side? At least at the Normal chellange

8.) Alanin died three times
sorry for my English...
taptap

Post by taptap »

Dwarf Lord (Difficult), 1.9.9

6 - with my bad recruits, could have been harder if the southern elves would go for my units instead for the villages.

Clear enough. A sign would still help.

Horrible again. There is no evil ruby atmosphere at all, it is just the impression that all characters are *****.

And: How did the dwarves survive for years in the cave? The timeline for the whole campaign is off. You fight some days but are told in between years pass... Compare that to "Infested Caves" in Northern Rebirth, the dwarves there have a little farm with lighting from above to explain why they survived.

My bad recruits. I had mainly steelclads and runesmiths. Quite some trouble not to expose the loyals among the runesmiths. Levelled a steelclad to lord and lost it thereafter (he took most of the damage saving my other units from trouble).

5 (The dialog kills the fun.)

Better dialog. Better timeline.

I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.