Scenario Review: SoF 5 - Hills of the Shorbear Clan

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SoF 5 - Hills of the Shorbear Clan

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
bog

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 5 - Hills of the Shorbear Clan

Post by bog »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easiest level
I thought they were clear, however once I got "all the heroes to the Shorbear caves with no enemies inside any of the caves", I did NOT win! I only won when I killed the Elvish leader. :?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear, and I liked having the surprise visit by the Elves so it was not so straight-forward.
a) I did not have a guy named "Alanin" as is listed in the heroes. I DID have a guy called "Baglur", who was not listed. Did his name get changed, but maybe forgot to change it in the Scenario Objectives?
b) The fact that I didn't win until I killed both the Dwarf Leader and the Elvish Leader, although those were not the written objectives!
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Just fixing the things I mentioned in question 5.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Sorry, not a programmer :)
Amariel

Post by Amariel »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
-> the easiest difficulty on version 1.4.1

-> 3 (but it was the easiest difficulty :p)

-> Not very clear. No problem for killing the dwarf lord, but the second objective displayed is not the required objective... And I think there is a prolem with Alanin, he appears in the objectives in this scenario as well as in the third scenario and is not part of the team !!

-> Well, very good, but it was not really a surprise when the elves come, because their camp was already on the map... maybe you could make it appear after they come?

-> Understanding that getting heroes in the caves with no ennemies inside implies killing the elvish leader, but not standing in the caves at all...

-> 6

-> First fixing the problem with the second objective and Alanin
-> Then... maybe having trouble between the elvish leader and the dwarf lord, even if they are allies ... ^^

-> I didn't try to kill the elvish leader at the first time, just stayed into he caves and killed every elf approaching.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-> Sorry, I don't know WML
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The Alanin bug has been fixed for a while, upgrade to 1.4.6.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord (Hardest) 1.4.6

4. Digging the dwarves out of their caves and fending off the elves it not too terribly hard, but a bit of a hassle. This is a great scenario to level units.

Crystal.

Clear, haggling a bit bland, but amusing. What do we do if we cannot get the price we want? Well, duh, we kill them of course.

Making sure the elves do not get in your way, but not too hard if you are quick about killing those pesky dwarves.

7. I like the map, and I like the dwarf on dwarf combat. The narrow entrances into the cave are annoying but then useful when holding off the elves.

None.

Three Thunderers shot my leader in a turn and they all hit.

Looks good.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Strikur

Post by Strikur »

(1) 1.4.4 or 1.4.6 (Not Sure) Medium

(2) 5, It wasn't particularly challenging once I gave up trying to kill the elf leader :P.

(3) Clear, And I'm glad my guys that were outside when I finished didn't die.

(4) Dialog was fine until the haggling. That was just boring IMO. We already saw it happen once in the first scenario.

(5) The level 2 thunderers were annoying when they hit.

(6) 7, Fun scenario. It was interesting trying to stay on the "cave" tiles in the dwarf area and forcing the enemy dwarves to stand on the dirt.

(7) None.

(8) I tried going after the elf leader because they looked weak, but then they got their bonus gold and beat me up :augh:.

(9) No Comment.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 7
(3) rather clear.
(4) it's OK. Well, thet stone seems to turn Lord D... (what was his name?) evil.
(5) having all my heroes inside before the elves arrive
(6) 6
(7) hm, dunno. Fighting against dwarvish guards on narrow ground just takes lots of time and is not that much fun.
(8) having Alanin outside when the elves arrived at the hills.
(9) NA
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Steelclad (Challenging)

Initially it seemed like a 3 or 4. Then the elves arrived and the difficulty jumped to 7.

Clear.

Very interesting.

This was the first actual challenge I faced in the campaign. When I saw that empty keep in the SW I expected another enemy to show up. What I did not expect was for my two enemies to join forces. I ended up losing both of my griffons to the elves as a result.

No changes.

No.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.4
7 - more difficult than it seems.
Clear, had to figure out where the cave "started", had to get rid of two extra heroes.
Wait, so Landar's elves allied with dwarves? Weren't they a xenophobic faction of elves? And he wanted the ruby? Doesn't make much sense for me.
Annoying scouts attacking me from behind and the numerous steelclads on mountains.
5 - a fun but a little frustrating.
Fix the story elements.
Nope.
Didn't check.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4; 252 starting gold

Not clear. At first I thought "heroes" meant all the crowned units or all the units that could not be allowed to die. Then the dialog said that everyone had to get into the caves, so I decided I was wrong. But I was right the first time. Also, I suggest labelling the target caves, "Shorbear Caves", since we start in (different) caves, which confused me at first.

Meh. I'm not buying the alliance between the elves and dwarves, especially with this trite dialog.

This one was very tough for me. Maybe if I had a deeper recall list it would have been easy, because for my last 120 gold, I had nothing worth recalling and had to recruit.

As usual, the main challenge is surviving the initial assault wave, after which there isn't much to do. During the assault, my troops were getting so banged up and I had so few villages that it was difficult to heal them.

Since I was getting stalled at the entrances, I sent a Thunderguard and Explorer to infiltrate the caves from the north side. Both died. Ouch.

It's not bad as is. It's interesting in that it's different. Just overhaul the dialog.

I played the scenario a couple times before I succeeded. The way I lost was with all my critical units being very low on HP, due to my resources being stretched too thin, and then one of the criticals would die.
Attachments
SoF-Hills_of_the_Shorbear_Cl..._replay.gz
(37.32 KiB) Downloaded 1224 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 278 starting gold

I was a little uncertain what "heros" and "in the cave meant" but it didn't cause me any real problem.

The alliance between the dwarves and elves is a stretch. Dialog certainly shouldn't be any longer.

Getting into the Shorbear caves. Fortunately (or maybe in response to my actions) a lot of dwarves came out the west entrance which didn't leave too many to get through to break in from the north. On the west side I was able to grab better terrain to win the fight against both dwarves and elves fairly easily.

If they dwarves held their defensive position in the cave this scenario would be really hard.

I suggest having the Elves show up and recognize Rugnur and then just go after him preferentially rather than the current alliance with the Shorbears,

No.

It would be nice if all the events had a one-line comment each saying what they are about.
Attachments
SoF-Hills_of_the_Shorbear_..._replay.gz
(31.97 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.5

8 - A tough scenario in which I took a number of losses (including one of the loyal runesmiths). I think it would go much better if I played it again, as I noticed too late that the enemy doesn't protect the rear entrance. As it was, I got three troops through that entrance to assassinate the dwarven leader.

Kill the punk.

Fine. That ruby sure makes people do mean things.

I finished in round 11/24 with 64 gold and will carry 25 gold over to the next level. No early finish bonus?

8 - A nice challenge, but not impossible by any means.

I agree with comments regarding the elf-dwarf alliance. Just have the elves stay outside the cave until you kill the dwarven leader.

I lost my griffin.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6 Normal

2.) 7

3.) quite clear

4.) interesting

5.) I tried to come as quick as possible in the cave of the dwarves, so I had no front line and some losses.

6.) 4

7.) It's okay.

8.) One time Tursagen died by the Elves.
sorry for my English...
taptap

Post by taptap »

Dwarf Lord (Difficult), 1.9.9

First time w/o knowing about elves arriving pretty hard.

Second try was fine.

Heroes isn't clear. Hu? The elves arrive suddenly.

Horrible. If this is supposed to be the evil power of the ruby of fire you don't feel it. The heroes, the non-player-characters everyone just looks immature.

Surprise, surprise effect. My style of playing isn't very suited to such sudden surprises, because I deploy my leader after I have done enough recruiting and can estimate that I don't have to reinforce.

Overcoming stalwarts. Not exposing loyals too much.

Better dialog.

Surprise about the elves and not having set myself up for it. Second run was smooth.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Steelclad (Challenging), 1.10.0 - 263 Starting Gold.

7. I took some bad loses in this one.

They are clear.

Stale. Could use some more elaboration on the ruby corrupting Durstorn, and the alliance between the elves. The whole dialog just needs to be more serious and dramatic altogether.

Surprisingly, it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. The dwarves came out the western exit which left me with a pretty straight-forward charge through the opening in the north-west. Then there was a good fight inside the cave against the elves, but that was more fun than it was hard!

Remove Lyndar's camp until he actually arrives.

No. Almost lost Thursagan though.

Alright, I suppose.
Attachments
SoF-Hills_of_the_Shorbear_Cl..._replay.gz
(29.92 KiB) Downloaded 850 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)