Scenario Review: SoF 3 - Searching for the Runecrafter

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shadow12

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 3 - Searching for the Runecrafter

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.0.4
Finished turn 25/30
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very clear.
Finding the crafter's house was pretty easy with the gryphons. One pass with the giant birds narrowed down the number of houses to search.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Good.
Why is the forest shrouded in darkness? Hmmm...maybe a magical spell was cast years ago by an ancient Wose to keep trespassers away from his forest, and the reclusive Runecrafter preferred living there because he wanted to be left alone.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Making it back to the signpost with the occasional enemy dropping in unannounced. I appreciate the extra turns.
The occational trio of wolves suddenly attacking was a pain in the butt (quite literally). The woses were easier to topple. :|

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
9. I enjoyed it!

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Good as is!

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? no
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (Lord), Wesnoth 1.12.4
217 starting gold
(plenty to spare)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5, could be worse if you get bad luck with the random enemies appearing out of nowhere

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not very good. First of all it seems a little late for Alanin to be asking where they're going. Secondly and far more importantly, the gryphon is annoying and his text isn't worth deciphering. And he even comes along with a silent gryphon rider - why couldn't the gryphon rider talk instead? Also they say that nobody would be crazy enough to live so far north, but what's the deal with this gryphon rider guy? And I expect that thursagan won't respond if the gryphon rider comes knocking, why not?

I guess you could get overrun if you didn't have enough units. Ogres and trolls are pretty tough and if they get onto good terrain you might not be able to clear them out before more enemies arrive. But again the main challenge is avoiding overrecruiting and making optimal use of available experience points.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I don't like the random enemy stuff.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No, but I replayed for better gold/exp.
Attachments
SoF-Searching_for_the_Run..._replay.gz
(32.14 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
lujo

Post by lujo »

Highest, Wesnoth 1.12.6

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

The dialogue makes it seem as if Ogres are going to be featured more prominently, when it's woses who aren't even mentioned who are featured more prominently. I'm not sure this would affect my choice of who to recruit / recall, but still.

The enemies are quite tough, even if you cheeze the second scenario for XP. By the end it felt impossible to avoid Trolls and Ogres just walking into the base.

I'd make it less demanding on hard I suppose.

The enemies are universally safe to shoot at and very unappealing to melee, and this makes Thunderer hit-scumming look even more appealing than it is by itself. I'd see about an enemy that's safer to punch than shoot at.

There's too many heroes on a cramped space with hard hitting dudes coming at them, so I suppose I'd look for a way to reduce their number The way things are creates situations where you either kill stuff or instantly lose the game due to some hero or the other getting randomly hit. If you're going to have to reload due to that, you might as well reload Thunderer hits before it gets to that...

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

I let some high level non-hero units die, but didn't reload. It seemed unavoidable when getting rushed by several tough enemies at once. There's a bit of a "hero clutter" which means there's non-expendable dudes in a somewhat cramped space attacked by enemies who do a lot of damage. This lead to a few reloads.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.4, Hard

Halfclear. I wasn't aware I had to bring thursagen to the caves once I found him. But that's okay because if I don't have time to find Thursagen early enough, then that means I couldn't deal well enough with the enemy waves.

Let's not talk about the gryphon.

Going to the house in time. I forgot about it for some turns.

Let the enemies spawn more often.
Do something about this one. #3379

No.
Attachments
SoF-Searching for the Runecrafter replay.gz
(26.67 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Not so clear, as I had to go all across the map to find out what was the right direction

- Okay, but why can't there be a loyal gryphon rider instead. I don't want to talk about Krawg here

- Fighting off the monsters and making sure that Thursagan reaches the signpost in time

- Aside from dialogue, all is fine

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: March 11th, 2008, 11:09 pm(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.5 Hard
Clear.
Clear, not so much interesting.
Enemies appearing unexpectedly are a threat to explorers deployed in the map, but still they are usually seen from a distance long enough for the explorers to retreat back enough for some more units to join them.
The scenario is not bad, but way too easy. I guess that faster enemies (or a terrain more favourable for their speed) would be the right choice.
No.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.8, Lord (Difficult)

4, I've played the scenario a couple of times by now. But I do like the new way Gryphons are introduced.

Crystal.

Clear.

Dealing with the waves of enemies.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Reaching the Runecrafter replay/stats (has no topic so far):
Spoiler:
Attachments
SoF-Searching for the Runecrafter replay 20210117-180427.gz
(33.89 KiB) Downloaded 184 times