Scenario Review: NR 13 - Showdown

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shadowblack

Re: Scenario Review: NR 13 - Showdown

Post by shadowblack »

Why does Eryssa start without any villages? Tallin, Krash and Hamel all start with the nearby villages flagged. Also, why does Eryssa start without any troops on her recall list?

So, where is my gold? As far as I can tell the gold from The Pursuit is gone. What the…? After looking at the scenario code I see it is divided between three of the sides. Make that clear (preferably in the dialog) to avoid confusion

How come one of the enemy leaders is Ha-Tuil? Is it the same Ha’Tuil I KILLED in the previous mission? If so – why is he alive? If not – please change his name to avoid confusion.

Krash and Eryssa are NOT hidden at start, so they are there on the map and at the same time they are shown arriving. Then they “merge” with the images on map. They too should be hidden on start.

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.8.3, Spearman (Challenging), i.e. Normal difficulty

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2 to 4 – there’s a lot of enemies. The difficulty varies depending on how lucky they are when attacking and how lucky you are when your units conterattack

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not bad, but it would be nice if someone would say something when a leader other than Rakshas dies

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not losing too many level 3 units, since I got bored to the point where I allowed the orcs to kill a few of my level 3s.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5 – this is the FOURTH “kill-em-all” scenario in a row. To make matters worse there’s a huge number of enemies, which leaves little room for strategy

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Reduce the number of enemies

See my comments on top for more things that need changing.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
A bit more comments would be nice. For example, what do the [target] tags inside the [ai] tag do? The previous scenarios seem better documented.

Also, how come Hamel acts LESS aggressively and more cautiously than Sisal did in the previous scenario? From the code it seems like he should be aggressive? Or does that apply only to his units?

Epilogue:
Nice, but I could do without the whole “will you marry me” part. It just seemed a bit too rushed for my liking. But I still liked the ending.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Nightmare

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Very Interesting

Big number of enemies and stupid behaviour of Hamel's forces, I had to sacrifice many elves and drake in order to shelter and keep him alive

Very funny, 9/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

To make Hamel's dwarves to act in more defensive mode

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Lack of money - I had to return to the previous scenario and save elvish alien

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

-
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

1) Level, Version? Normal, 1.9.4
2) Difficulty? 8.
3) Clear? Yes, clear.
4) Dialogue? Awesome.
5) Challenges? Differentiating my two Drake Flamehearts. Both, Tallin's friend and a leveled burner, were named Krash. That was confusing me totally, I noticed in the last turn, when one Krash leadershipped Lvl1's and the 'right' one recruited.
6) Fun? 9.
7) Changes? -
8) Restarts? None, though I lost two dwarf lords :cry:
9) WML?

Code: Select all

[kill]
    race=Elves
[/kill]
Line 369. 'Elves' isn't a valid race. Should be 'elf'.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty? Nightmare; 1.9.5; lots of starting gold
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 7 or 8
(3) How clear? Okay, but not sure why some allies are critical and others are not.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Tedium.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 6. I don't like "counter pushing" (where by "counter" I mean "unit".)
(7) Changes? Slash gold on both sides by half.
(8) Restarts? A couple of restarts from start due to loss of critical unit.
(9) WML?
In the objectives, it says Hamel's death results in defeat, but he died and I played on, and then he appeared in the epilogue. The problem is here:

# Hamel death
    [event]
        name=last breath
        [filter]
            id=Hamel
        [/filter]

[message]
            id=Hamel
            message= _ "Argh!"
        [/message]
        [message]
            id=Tallin
            message= _ "Hamel! Blast it, without the dwarves to hold the western flank we are as good as defeated."
        [/message]
    [/event]
It should include this:

[endlevel]
        result=defeat
    [/endlevel]
(10) Replay? Attached. You will have to turn off animation or it will take forever. I took the advice of asketenbert earlier in this thread and moved Tallin to the elf keep and Krash to the dwarf's keep, which worked well. I kept the two Mages of Light and two Gryphons in the north and east to preserve those villages for my side, and this went according to plan. I left the dwarves two villages for healing, but neither were close enough for Hamel, who might have survived if I had left him the village 2 hexes away from his keep. I'm going to call it a victory despite the death of Hamel, since the scenario did not stop and it's too darn time-consuming to do over.
Attachments
NR-Showdown_replay.gz
(406.98 KiB) Downloaded 1092 times
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

Nightmare (wesnoth 1.8.6)
5 - I've finished it before on easier difficulties and it doesn't seem difficult at all, it just takes a lot of time.
Clear
Random, why can't I lose the liches in the main fight? Heck, I should even be abled to lose Tallin as a great sacrifice for the freedom of blabla... It's the final battle afterall. And on the other hand I can lose Tallin's sylph-girl and a loyal farmer who has been with him the whole time. Also why can my Ancient Lich suddely hire red mages and trolls if he couldn't do it in a several previous scenarios?
So I am expected to kill 12500 gold worth of orc level 2 units? Given any amount of gold, any reqruit list, any terrain formation this is quite frustrating. Nightmare is supposed to be hard but cmon, maybe give them better reqruits, not just more. I had played for like an hour and they had 200-300 level 2 units left.
Once you realize how much you must repeat the same "switch wounded dwarf lord to healthy one action", it starts reminding runescape.
I guess it has to be epic scale, but the amount of unit's is silly. Maybe give them better reqruits and everyone less money or sth. Also givin them better reqruits and not allowing elf to hire level 2 healers would make it much harder without making it longer. Call it "Raskas elite bodyguard force" and let the hire level 3 wolves, slurbows etc.
No, but I stopped playing after 13 turns when I realized I'm not going to lose any time soon and just have to mindlessly repeat exact same actions for next 3 hours.
taptap

Post by taptap »

So, I finished Northern Rebirth on Nightmare and Tallin found an amazing fairy as spouse (and the Northern Alliance was created).

I played according to the official plan = have the orcs firmly encircled. I dispatched delegations especially to the drakes to defend in the night and dwarves to survive. I had about 300 units under control (almost as much as the AI), so overall the result was pretty clear right away. The drakes suffered during the night until my delegation arrived. Hamel is worse than Sisal, despite setting defensive behaviour. Had I not a dozen elves (and many more drakes) stationed in his keep willing to sacrifice themselves for Hamel, he would have had no chance. The elves were most important as they were moving after Hamel. Still he managed to go all the way down to 4 HP.

I didn't mind the battle cries. Still, the epilogue can probably be improved. (Even if only playing suitable music at the moment and showing the spectating armies would have a tremendous effect.)

Why is Tallin always "Tallin!" I don't think exclamation marks should be part of a name.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Normal
6-7 (using the method of the hardest in the campaign gets a 10 and the easiest gets a 1)
Clear. I wasn't sure if killing Rakshas made me win or if I had to kill them all. However, I looked at the objectives and that cleared it up.
It was pretty good.
Not losing any loyals (it's an obsession...)
None
Death of the Lich.
Haven't looked. If I do, I'll edit this post.

And overall, the campaign gets a ten. :D
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.0.4. Eryssa now has a recall list and starts with 20 villages.
Starting gold: Tallin 3743, Krash 3977, Eryssa 2881. Finished on turn 15.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
The story is very interesting. Although the part in the epilog with the marriage proposal and all the people cheering for Tallin made for one of those cheesy hero romance endings. And the dialog between Father Mage and Sister Mage...well, I'm glad its done.

It seemed like the enemy's goal was to kill any of my guys that were close to leveling. It was frustrating as hell. It never failed, I would just about have my guy leveled and a big orc would come by and get him.

3 the first time, 7 the second time.
. I played the game twice. The first time, the immortal mages stayed in the west, Tallin's team moved to the elf's keep and the drakes moved to the dwarves. It soon became very congested and very evident that sharing a keep was not a good solution when we all needed to recall quickly.
. The second time around everyone stayed in their original location. I was fighting 3 battles, which made it more interesting. . Hamel did fine on his own. He made it to the island sooner than we did.
.Playing the Drakes was fun, I especially liked the Enforcer and the Arbiter.

Reduce the starting gold. (Make a story that the Trolls spent it or something). On turn 8 the enemies all had negative gold. Krash still had 2,918 and Tallin had 2,996.
The layout is too much like the previous scenario with the big round castle.
Introduce the Drakes earlier in the campaign so we have more chances to level them.

Reloaded when one of the Ro' guys got killed. Going back one turn meant that I had to redo the play for each Tallin, Krash and Eryssa. Didn't want to do that again! I was more careful from then on.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1. Nightmare.

2. 1.

3. Crystal.

4. Interesting, nice little plot that finished well. I managed to keep almost every loyal autorecall alive, so got to see quite a few "Epilogue" things.

5. None, sadly enough. I recalled every leveled unit I had from each keep, and then swarmed with Gryphons (Tallin), drake fighters (Krash), and elvish sorceresses (Eryssa). The dwarves to the west survived well enough, although they didn't manage to push into the castle all that well. My east strike force, which I pushed forward with the Archlich leading it, managed to lockdown the moat and fight the orcs while they were in the water. This approach took very, very heavy casualties, but as it was the last scenario I didn't worry too much about it; I lost all 12 of my Lords, including Stalrag and one of the loyal ones from the Pursuit (I lost the other one in the eastern flank), all of my fugitives, multiple huntsmen, countless gryphons, and several master bowmen in that position. Once I'd broken the majority of the enemy attack, I pushed in with Zlex surrounded by 6 other royal guardsmen, who successfully killed Rakshas and the southwest/Northwest leaders before getting completely wiped out, and followed up with my other heroes. Elenia died when some lucky slurbows managed to take out both her guards and the northeast leader punched through and killed her in one round, but I was able to retaliate with the archlich to kill the leader. I gryphon swarmed the rest of the leaders, which ended the scenario. While this was going on Eryssa set up camp in the forest with Sisal hiding in some bushes with my rangers from the previous mission and sorceresses fortifying the north border of the forest. I took next to no losses for a while, and didn't even bother with druids for healing. Eventually I had so many sorceresses built up that I pushed with them into the flatlands, where they took down quite a few orcs despite staggering casualties. I then brought Sisal and his entourage up between the dwarves and the elves and hit the remaining orcs from behind, wiping out most of the recruits. Krash unfortunately did absolutely pitifully; I didn't have enough recalls for his side, and recruited mainly just hordes of level 1 drake fighters. The enemies managed to wipe out many, many fighters in the first night, pushed even further that day, and eventually overran the camp and killed Krash, who was still sitting there recruiting hordes of drakes (I switched to clashers at the end to try and push the orcs back, but it didn't make a difference). The drakes seemed to be much to weak in my opinion; Tallin's army had many veterans and level 2 gryphons to recruit, Eryssa's army had level 2 units to recruit, and then Krash's army had a bunch of level 1 drakes running around with negative resistance to pierce and 40% defense at best. They did successfully divert the attention of many enemies though, which allowed Tallin to push through and kill all the leaders.

6. 3. I didn't really enjoy this one that much; there were some epic moments, but only because I specifically played the scenario for them. Eryssa and Tallin were both sitting on several thousand gold when I won while the orcs were out of gold, and if I'd moved Krash to Tallin's keep early on he was still sitting on about 3000 gold when he was killed. It wouldn't have been too hard to push through the enemies with a bunch of newly recruited units, and the turns took way too long with the hundreds of units involved.

7. The treasury money was too much, and with no hills/mountains/forests between Tallin and the enemy his only option is a kamikaze rush for the moat or a conservative hide behind the walls of the fortifications; I suppose using the mage of lights more also could've worked (Neither of them ended up dying in that last scenario) but honestly they felt overpowered and cheesy after a little bit, and I didn't end up using them for anything but as healers for most of the campaign. the drakes were also much too weak, and could've done well with some level two recruitable, or with Tallin's recall list available to Krash.

8. None; I could've restarted for my lost loyals, but with it being the last scenario (And a very long one) I didn't feel a need.

Overall a very fun campaign; only issue ended up being how long that last scenario took. Everything else was very fun though, and I know a lot of people enjoy that kind of 10 minute long turns large scale combat.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal

Clear

Good.

Ally AI had some real close calls. [Edited to add] A couple times the Ally AI passed on recruiting which contributed to close calls. I call this a bug, with the amount of gold it had and the nature of the scenario, there is no reason for the AI not to recruit.

4, it's an impressive slogfest, but a slogfest none the less.

Throw in some L3 trolls. [Edited to add] I was expecting something to appear on the waterway on the NE just because it was an interesting bit of terrain. I think some ships with wolf rider reinforcements at some point or points is a possibility

No.

[Edited to Add] A note on the campaign: I played on Normal, but I found it very easy - more in line with what I would expect for "Easy" on other campaigns. I think the difficulty levels, or Normal at least, should be renamed.
Attachments
NR-Showdown_replay.gz
(236.83 KiB) Downloaded 778 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.1, Hard

Clear

Good.

Saving my ai ally.

4, I don't like this ai ally.

Improve the ai for Hamel (#3133) and/or put more distance between the dwarvish camp and the orcish base.

Hamel. #3133
Attachments
NR-Showdown replay.gz
(258 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Clear

- Very good. I know that some don't like these battle cries, but I did as they were reasonable. Plus that sonofab... Rakshas got what he deserved and the ending is one of my favorites! Plus I loved all the loyal characters I had as they had lots of development

- Orcs again

- Can't think of anything

- Nope
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.15.7, Royal Guard (Nightmare)

9, but only because there is no turn limit. A lot of units to pay attention to.

Crystal.

Clear.

Not to lose focus, ever. Or at least not in a way that dooms me.

5, but only if you count the satisfaction you can gain by beating it.

Give Hamel a better fighting chance. #3133

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Campaign stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
NR-Showdown replay 20201219-180214.gz
First fail
(126.15 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
NR-Showdown replay 20201219-192628.gz
Second Fail
(105.22 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
NR-Showdown Turn 6 end of part 1.gz
(169.24 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
NR-Showdown Turn 18 end of part 2.gz
(231.95 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
NR-Showdown replay 20201220-205442.gz
Full replay of Success
(242.91 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Rendy55

Post by Rendy55 »

Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 12:19 pm (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.nightmare
3.clear
4.fine dialogs
5.survive with drogonoids on north
7.no changes
8.no

Very funn scenario,In end i have had 24 dwarf lords just on talin side and lots of other powerfull units
Attachments
Bitva_o_Wesnoth_-_1.16.6_26.10.2022_23_03_48.png
Bitva_o_Wesnoth_-_1.16.6_23.10.2022_20_28_11.png