Scenario Review: NR 9 - Introductions

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: NR 9 - Introductions

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
EZE

Re: Scenario Review: NR 9 - Introductions

Post by EZE »

Easy 1.4.7

2 (We roxx'd them)

very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I liked finding out the story with the 2 elf girls

If any, finding the signpost.

10 (it only looks like a lot of trolls)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
none. I kept all of my story characters alive, so it may be more difficult if someone loses them along the way.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
none
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.8.3, Spearman (Challenging), i.e. Normal difficulty

2, and only because of my horrible luck. But if some of my loyal characters had died previously, things would probably be very different.

I had no idea where the signpost is, apart from that and what I mention in the next section it was clear.

I loved it. I also had a look at the scenario code to see how things would go if Elenia was dead at this point. Turned out the conversation is quite different and Eryssa is actually annoying in that branch.

I was a bit confused by the objective. One moment we’re talking about getting the help of the elves, the next I have to find some signpost? It makes a lot more sense in the other branch (i.e. if Elenia is dead). I suggest that you change “Sounds good...I mean, let it be so.” to “Sounds good...I mean, let it be so. Now let us go back to Knalga.”

Horrible luck – at times I felt like the trolls had 70% def!

4- slautering a bunch of trolls wasn’t much fun, especially combined with the horrible (at times) accuracy of my characters.

Divide the trolls in 2 groups.

See number 4 above.

No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Well-documented.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty? Nightmare; 1.9.4
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 2
(3) How clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? None.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 4
(7) Changes? Add a couple level 3 trolls. Put something in the eastern passage.
(8) Restarts? None.
(9) WML? Fine.
(10) Replay? Too boring to attach a replay.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) Level, Version? challenging, 1.8.5
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 3
(3) Objectives? What signpost? Couldn't it be highlighted?
(4) Dialog? Nice, but did not really explain the scenario. The way to Knalga and therefore the map should be known to Tallin.
(5) Challenges? None really; I overestimated the trolls at first.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? No.
(8) Restarts? No.
(9) WML? N/A
BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1. Nightmare.

2. 3

3. Crystal; go up the passageway.

4. Interesting, nice little plot development piece.

5. None, basically just smashed through with all my leveled units. Got the sorceress to level 3 and a half or so by giving her quite a few easy kills, everyone else was already maxed level so just tried to prep them a little closer to AMLA's.

6. 8. Fun to see how powerful the elite core is at this point; making it through with no casualties was pretty easy, which is nice since losing a loyal unit would probably have prompted a restart.

7. None really; maybe having 1-2 normal units automatically with you would be nice just to reduce the stress of cycling through loyal/essential units trying to keep everyone alive. I didn't use the light mages all that aggressively with their resurrection though, although I think the time limit would have become an issue with that method.

8. None.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal

Clear

Good.

None.

3, pretty routine.

Some L3 trolls, bats, or any sort of surprise.

No.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.1, Hard

Clear.

Good.

None.

3, not much to do.

Bats. Maybe some troll reinforcements, breaking though a wall, but with a 'That wall over there looks brittle.' comment from one of my units in advance.

No.
Attachments
NR-Introductions replay.gz
(41.05 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Not so clear, as I couldn't orientate myself at first

- Nice development, especially how both elvish sisters flatter Tallin for his heroic deeds. The presence of trolls near Knalga is something bad at this point...

- None here actually

- Variety of enemies, such as one spider and few bats

- No
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.15.2.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2. There's basically no prospect of losing this, as long as you pay attention and don't do anything too stupid.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Wait... The druid we rescued from the skeleton who was using her as eye candy/a concubine - just so happens to be an elvish princess? The sister of the other princess we just rescued? And neither of them realised it until we were back in the caves? What???? What????? As far as plot contrivances go, this is one of the worst.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The flanking troll made me think there was XP to be found down the other path, so I sent the sorceress there - and she ended up getting basically no experience.

Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4. It's just slogging through a few trolls, with units you likely have fully levelled already, and a dumb plot twist.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I'm really not convinced that the druid needs to be the princess' sister, or even anyone of major importance. It just seems contrived.

The gameplay here is really uninspired, and doesn't offer much on. Needs a rethink.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.15.7, Royal Guard (Nightmare)

2, you have lots of highlevel units, with two of them reviving when they die.

Crystal.

Clear.

None.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
NR-Introductions replay 20201217-094948.gz
(41.43 KiB) Downloaded 291 times