Scenario Review: NR 6 - Old Friend

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review: NR 6 - Old Friend

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.1, Hard

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

1 for surviving. (Very defensible location with a bunch of villages and also some highlevel units that can tank.) Maybe 3-4 if you want to take at least one of the enemy leaders down, using your immortal Mages.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Neat.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

None.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

3, it's a survival scenario where you can only wait. Not much you can. Certainly pretty much room for different ways to play.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

A larger cave base, with more entrances to defend. Pretty much a typical dwarvish outpost (maybe with some obvious wear on it) would be nice, instead of 'this' kind of base. It's not like they'd ever have to fall back from this. You can hardly get a more defensible position than this.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

I forgot my Spectre when I went back into the cave.
Attachments
NR-Old Friend replay.gz
(80.52 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- I guess clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- The intro dialogue was pretty good! Though, same can't be said for the scenario... but at least it settles down Rakshas as the main villain of this campaign... I guess?

- Holding off the orcs at the entrance of the cave.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- A bit wider cave entrance

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

- No
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Challenging

Clear

This scenario, not really. When I'm rushing a pack of mages and dwarves to go pick off west leader, I get "are you just going to sit in these caves" or something like that. Dude look at the map.

It cheats.

Don't put killing somebody in the objective if it's intended to be not doable.

I'm coming into this with a lot of gold (which I probably should have) and a ridiculous number of dwarf lords (which I'm not sure I should have so many already). So I decide I'm going to kill the big bad right here right now. Out comes all these dwarf lords and lots of other high-level junk and I chew up and spit out three orc armies and break my army into two pieces to pick off the west and south leaders. South leader comes out to play and dies. "Reinforcements"... OK I just beat three armies, I can beat two more, but not in the time limit. Reload. I chew up three armies again and send a pack of dwarves with the flying healer straight across the mountains at my objective, with the leader far ahead and carrying the rod of justice. "Knights" They spawn in the midst of my army in the mountains. Reload.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:54 am (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.15.2.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:54 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:54 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear enough. Survive, kill the enemy leaders if you feel like it.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:54 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear enough and fairly interesting to establish the main antagonist. The foreshadowing seems pointless though. The mysterious master of the orcs is... An orcish sovereign? Okay.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:54 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:54 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
3. There's no real challenge or threat. Just stick some units in the breach, get healers in place, and mash end turn.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:54 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Have the orcs chip away at the cave with unique sapper units that blow holes in the cave walls. That would keep changing the flow of units and force you to react to what's happening.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:54 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.15.7, Royal Guard (Nightmare)

1, you pretty much can't lose if you play this one safe.

Survive, while having a position that's perfect for defending? Sign me up!

It's okay, although of course the way I play it totally clashes with Tallins opinion where I should pour my everything into attacking.

None.

6, it's a nice scenario to just chill for once.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
NR-Old Friend replay 20201210-162403.gz
(54.77 KiB) Downloaded 243 times