Scenario Review: NR 2 - Infested Caves

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: NR 2 - Infested Caves

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: Scenario Review: NR 2 - Infested Caves

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Easy

9 (7 on replay, once you know the cave layout)

Otherwise clear, but when it says to take Tallin to the "dwarven keep", I first though it meant the one in the eastern chamber (no dwarves were present, but I though the trolls had killed them all).

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear

Making fast enough progress in the chokepoints. The first time I played, I barely finished in 55 rounds. Second time though, 40 was enough.

A bit boring toward the end, just wading through masses of skeletons. More variety in the enemies would be nice, I didn't find any use for other units than footpads.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More different kinds of units for the enemies, like I said, and maybe some random elements in the map, so that replay would be more challenging.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
F50

Post by F50 »

mostly clear. I didn't know whether "clear the caves" mean "defeat all enemy leaders" or "destroy all enemy units"

interesting as before.

again, keeping zerg (and leveled zerg) units alive. I recruited three keeps of footpads and that worked very well. Got three fugitives by the end of the scenario and 2000+ gold (cleared the caves).

harder to clear caves, the green leader failed to send more troll whelps my way.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

losing lvled units
Oglander

Post by Oglander »

Easy

Clear

It was nothing special.

Discovering the cave layout. Once that was clear it started to be easier.

Some randomness as to where the enemies are located?

Surprise! they're coming from your rear!

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

1. The dwarven keep - I have to move anywhere in dwarven castle except the keep (I had to learn it from WML).
2. I didn't knew that for the killing all enymies is a bonus. So I decied to move to the keep (althought I hade I troll leader weakened left).

Relativly clear and interesting.

N/A

1. Make bonus per enymy (for example if bonus is x make it 1/6 for 1 enymy destroyed 2/6 for 2 etc.).

N/A

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Clear
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

Normal.

Given the footpad's cost and his effectiveness against skeletons, I had no problem fighting the undead, but the trolls were much harder. But it is quite easy nonetheless. The great thing about it is that I constantly felt that the blue and green whelps could break my line of defense anytime and that it would mean doom. I just felt thrilled during the whole scenario. And that's good. To fulfill the optional objective seems to me like a hell of a long and boring fight against hordes and hordes of whelps. So I took the easy way. 4/10

Fine. I just had no idea where the dwarves were, and I did not want to scout out every corner of the caves, losing many units if the path was incorrect.

Decently clear and very interesting. I really like this campaign's storytelling.

Fighting through the trolls. At times, I thought I could never get past them. But it was just fear.

7/10

Maybe make it a bit more clear where to go to find the dwarves. Perhaps uncover a stroke of the south-eastern path.

No.

sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

Easy 1.6

7, challenging, but not overly so, good balance.

Well, it seemed clear enough, but as I never found any dwarves...
(I won by killing all the leaders - eventually!)

Excellent, this is one of the better campaigns for storytelling.

The trolls, for sure. Once the undead were out of the way, waves of level 2 and level 3 trolls were hard to deal with. Lots of minions sacrificed.

10. Excellent scenario for strategy again, with final victory only coming after several minor victories slowly tip the balance in your favour. Great fun.

None, it was perfect.

No, got through at the first attempt.
Desent

Post by Desent »

Nightmare

Clear
Meh...
Making it in time
Don't make it so big. It's ridiculous.
Running out of turns :(
silent

Post by silent »

Spearman (challenging) 1.6
10 The first time as I had no idea where to go nor did I realize staying at the original encampment is a dumb idea, 2 on the second time as I was able to get a ton of leveled units because the brown trolls were nice and decided to go kill most of the black death knight's troops, which was unusually kind of the AI, and a little careful placement allowed me to have a fair go at clearing the caves, which was useful to level units, but sadly could not fully complete.
Clear enough, although it's really trial and error unless you read the walkthrough
Interesting, the in-game dialogue is nice and it's nice to see a leader with a tactical brain for a change
Avoiding getting Tallin or Zlex killed, and the mad rush through those large and annoying brown trolls
8. All in melee's are great fun, my leveled units afterward had something to do with it too
7 Bandits
9 Outlaws
2 Trappers
Some idea where the dwarves are would be nice, perhaps the brown troll leader could say something like "those dwarves are behind us, time to squash them good"
I have 1170 gold going into the next scenario.
None really
N/A
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Nightmare
Not very clear. I also thought the sentence 'one of the dwarven keeps' might refer to the dwarven keep terrain tile in the eastern chamber.
It was okay.
Since there were so many enemies swarming around, it took me several attempts to work out what I should be doing. Then it took me several more attempts to complete it. I actually loaded the map in the editor just to give me an idea of where stuff was. It is very hard to advance against that many Skeletons. In the end I managed to hold the two troll corridoors with a handful of poachers and the 2 Trappers I'd managed to get from scenario 1 - whilst my leader rushed into the main chamber, and recruited wave after wave of footpads. I blocked both the nearest skeleton entrances and tried my best to withstand the beatings that the trolls dished out. Footpads were the only real choice here, since they did good damage against Skeletons, they could range all the melee units and still do okay melee retailiation damage. More imporantly, the Footpad's dodge was the only thing preventing the Trolls from wiping me out. Eventually I sneaked a footpad into the Troll's village chamber, stole his income and overwhelmed them. Meanwhile my Poacher gangs (who had levelled into Trappers and Hunters after picking off so many Trolls) managed to push through and kill both Troll leaders. I eventually killed all the enemy leaders, but I never made it to the Dwarven keep.
Despite my utter frustration, I found it very fun: 8
I would have liked to know more about the lay-out of the map.
I restarted many times, because it took me ages to realise what strategy was going to work.
Haven't looked sorry.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

challanging 1.7.6

6 - pushing back regenerating enemies through small corridors with few villages nearby takes some time

clear

very good

healing/rotating my units fighting the nordwest and southwest trolls

10 - secret doors and skeleton smashing trolls!

none

none

n/a
St3f4n

Post by St3f4n »

Nightmare
clear enough
clear and interesting
My biggest challenge was getting control of the main chamber soon enough and holding the small passages to the skelettons keeps.
Strengthen the brown trolls a bit, they had no chance against those masses of skelettons.
Many! Loosing Camerin, loosing my first leveled outlaws or having the brown troll leader been slain by the skelettons causing them to gain control of the main chamber
Zubb

Post by Zubb »

Nightmare (165) No save/load during the scenario.
8. Zerg fighting is not as challenging as coping with the time limit. I killed my last troll on turn 44 (out of 45). Phew.
Clear
Quite nice, dialogs are a breath of air during hours of TBT starcrafting. Hidden doors were also a relief.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario.
Time. I figured out from the start that footpads+thugs are the only units needed, rushed three castlefulls of units in all directions, took good positions vs. trolls, closed bottle necks for white and orange enemies. Then I massacred weak lvl 2 trolls (i found brown seriously under powered) and closed second white hole. After i got browns villages and units started leveling up, only time could stop me. Black was easy. Next was white - i pushed through second entrance to his cave and the slowly pushed skellies back with 2nd lvl units. Green fell after 6 2nd lvl footpads began cutting down whelps faster then he could spam them. Orange was the hardest one. There were just two many skellies in the "bottle" to cut through in the remaining 10-12 turns, so I made a tactical fall back. They poured out into the central cave and were massacred. By the time i broke through the bottleneck, Green was down and units that killed him helped (at high cost thought :cry: ) to bring down the last Skelly on the block. Last and least was Blue troll. Nothing interesting there, except for insane ArchMage :)
6 Pretty challenging to keep situation under control everywhere but turns take two long with 50 units IMO.
Make Brown able to spam whelps as well as 2nd lvl? He is just two weak.
None. But i suffered lots of tear some losses.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Easiest, 1.7.10

Not quite as clear as usual. I initially lost because I didn't read the objective properly once I discovered the dwarves around turn 45-50, but also it displayed something like "Move Tallin to dwavish castle keep or......" then on the next line it said "clear the caves". The bit that said "or" was also in green. I'm more used to it showing one objective, then "Alternative Objective" in white writing on a new line, followed by the alternative objective written in green text.

Can't really remember it much, although the Arch Mage was quite humurous once I got to him

Number of enemies, brown trolls wondering over to attack me, sheer number of green and blue trolls, keeping units alive (on my 2nd attempt I initially didn't recruit many units at all, as first time I had close to -200 gold by about turn 15! Fortunately, throughout the mission I managed to level many poachers up to trappers, and a few to huntsmen and rangers. I ended up having to sacrifice the first royal guard I had (from the first mission!) to prevent a major brown troll attack against my at the time I had a few units in the centre having defeated the brown troll leader. They had 2 rocklobbers and a level 3 warrior (levelled up from defeating the white undead leader). I eventually got Tallin levelled up to Royal Guard later in the mission, also got 2 or 3 footpads levelled to outlaws, although lost one of them to the black Death Knight.

6. Good level to level up lots of units, especially against the blue and green trolls, to level up poachers, although I lost a few trappers, did many saveloads if I felt I had to kill a unit to get another levelled up if it otherwise had a high risk of dying, and cycling units and having enough to fill in the gaps was challenging at times too.

None. Although I finished on turn 59 out of 60, it was certainly challenging, but fun, although I wouldn't mind if there were slightly fewer units to have to take on. Fortunately, the brown trolls smashed most the orange and white undead for me, although there were several of them in the centre when I moved into the centre, but with a lot of luck, saveloading, and focussing on one troll at a time, defeated them eventually. At that point, they'd defeated the white undead, and the orange undead leader was sending only one or two units at a time up to me.

First attempt, being well into the negatives goldwise when I tried to start breaking into the centre and lost a few units, I decided to restart and be more defensive, with far fewer units too!
alda

Post by alda »

difficult (swordsman)

10, very difficult, I think it's the hardest scenario I've played so far. It took me lot of time to finish it.

not very clear. I've actually found the dwarves just at the end of the scenario so this part didn't really make sense to me. Also, I think it's quite impossible to finish the scenario if you haven't played it before or know a little of how the cave works, so there should be some hints about it at the beginning of the game.

finding the balance between killing trolls and skeletons. First it needs some information about how they are disposed in the cave. I sent small groups of mostly poachers in the trolls corridors, and a big group of footpads in the main room to deal with the skeles. Trolls were dealt quite easily, but the skeletons were a nightmare, especially white ones with all their villages taken from brown troll. I had already played once this scenario where I lost against a big army of skeles, so I knew that I had to weaken them a bit, while I killed the corridor trolls. The brown trolls didn't really helped me since they were very few and the leader ended up suiciding against the skeles.

The major challenge here is actually time since it's very easy to defend in the cave, especially with footpads and their 70% defense, but to finish it in time, I was forced to attack and I lost many units (I had also many lvl ups though, including smthg like 8 fugitives at the end). With some reloads I eventually finished the scenario 1 turn before the end by killing black skeleton.

3, very frustating and just killing whelps and skeles is not very fun.

the dwarves should be more easily found and not just at the end of the map, where they are quite useless.

I restarted the game twice, and reloaded a lot, due to the difficulty (and time)

didn't watch, but just sighted events here made me the occasionnal bug.