Scenario Review: NR 1 - Breaking the Chains

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

podbelski

Re: Scenario Review: NR 1 - Breaking the Chains

Post by podbelski »

1.11.15, medium difficulty

very fun, interesting and quite challenging scenario! Made me expect the campaign is going to be great
arnaldo_br

Post by arnaldo_br »

(1) 3rd difficulty level. The lvl 2 unit one. Not sure its name in english
(2) 4
(3) completely clear
(4) didnt read. i dont care for the dialog
(5) it wasnt really a challenge, maybe its because its not the first time i play
(7) the game was too easy because both the leaders had the same amount of money and started so close to each other, so there was virtually no opposition. i could completely ignore the fight and just take the villages an assassinate the remaining leader by turn 13

by turn 8 the green leader died and the blue one lost its keep, i had 34 villages and 162g in units on the battlefield. the orcs kept fighting each other, so by turn 13 the scenario was done. The only unit i managed to lvl up was my leader(brave guy, meleed a lvl 3 orc to the death)

as i understand it, the key to winning the scenario is understanding you shouldnt fight, you should take the villages. I believe its fine on easier levels, but i think it might be interesting to make the players face a harder foe at least on the hardest difficulty lvl(i retried it on nightmare and it wasnt very different, i just had to deal with some wolves, easily ignored most of the time as well. i killed one of them when it had low hp so it wouldnt take my villages). It might be accomplished by giving the green orc more gold instead of giving the same to both in the last difficulty lvl. It would also decrease the chance of blue killing the green leader, which made my life much easier, and probably increase the amount of xp people might have when finishing the map

i think giving more 50/75 gold to green, or -25 to blue and 25/50 go green wouldnt make the map much harder(if people did what i did probably wouldnt have problems), but this way we would have to fight the orcs who survived. If it gets too hard people could always send a single peasant to liberate the trolls. i believe if there are no other peasants nearby they would march south after the orcs

other possible changes might be making blue ai send more wolves west/north, so that it isnt so easy to just grab all villages or changing objectives to "kill all orcs"(i believe it would make sense, since its a slave revolt), so that we have to at least fight a litte bit more foes

if those changes make the next level too hard we could just increase the turn limit. I think they would be positive, because they would force the player to fight a little bit more

(8)No
Attachments
RN-Quebrando_as_Correntes_replay.gz
replay
(24.51 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
RN-Quebrando_as_Correntes-Salvo-automaticamente1.gz
my replay
(12.79 KiB) Downloaded 775 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.13.2 easy

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
i stayed out of the combatants way and hit them when they were depleted.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

quite clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

very clear. the orc dialog was as expected.
i liked the change of starting position (1.12 and earlier started at the larger castle at top of map) as it fits the storyline better.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

figuring out how far orcs would go out of their way to attack us. fog of war didnt seem to be active, ie wolves would come toward us even if no lone or injured unit was within their range of motion plus one.

second (unstated) challenge is to end up with a good number of leveled up units. perhaps this should be told to the players of easy level.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

always rewarding for newer and older players to succeed with level 0 units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

hint at how or why some of the bowmen level up into the chaotic trapper version rather than lawful archers. none of the forkmen leveled up into thugs or rogues however.

could add side storylines:
- a disgruntled orc or goblin
- hint at the trolls by putting one in a cage near their cave.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

almost blew it when i stepped into the troll cave, but then i got out of the way and let them advance on the 2nd orc leader to help with the objective.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

n/a
Attachments
NR-Breaking_the_Chains_replay.gz
1.13.2 NR success
(35.18 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat »

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
1. Nightmare

2. 5

3. Very.

4. Quite interesting, fun to have a peasant revolt.

5. None really.

6. 8, enjoyable and fairly easy.

7. None, pretty fun.

8. None.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal (easiest I believe)

Clear.

Good.

Not use to fighting with L0s with no ZOC and having enemy rush around me with impunity.

8, new experience.

Looking at the wiki now, I see I missed the troll cave. Was I supposed to find it?

I'm carrying over 1241 gold - that's going to be a lot of peasants!

One restart when lack of ZOC cause Zlex to get eaten by a wolf.
Attachments
NR-Breaking_the_Chains_replay.gz
(40.55 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Nightmare

6, because of the turn limit.

Very.

How about awesome?

The turn limit and keeping out of the fight before I have lots of units.

10, I like it a lot.

-

I had to reload at the end because the green orc leader moved away from me, so I couldn't reach him in time to win.
Attachments
NR-Breaking the Chains replay.gz
(33.43 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
MrTic

Post by MrTic »

Easy

Clear.

Clear and interesting.

Not getting units with Exp killed. I got a feeling enemy likes to attack units with most exp.

9, loved it :)

Instead of spawning trolls when stepping on the specific hex, it would be far more interesting to be able to trigger it remotely somehow, as an additional way of having fun with the Orcs.

Nope. Our leader is a lv.0 peasant and I needed to be super careful without ZoC, but somehow he survived and leveled :D
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Clear, but easier said than done

- Nice beginning. Orcs fighting among themselves? Classic. "Master"? Something not good...

- Fighting orcs in the middle of the night. Though, I got over it by claiming all the villages by the time I had the blue leader surrounded (killed the green one before), so he couldn't recruit because of low income.

- How about Tallin instead of classic upgrading, turns into sergeant immediately?

- I had to replay over again as the orcs had most of villages under their control
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.15.2.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6. I've always been intimidated by this scenario, but playing it for the first time in years, I found it wasn't nearly so bad as I remembered. Did the keep move? I feel like the keep moved.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
10. Kill the enemy leaders.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The 'slave rebellion' angle is a nice one, it gives a bit of insight into how orcs survive when they're not off raiding, and of course lets you start off from nothing. Tallin was characterised well in the opening dialogue, though he implies he's stolen some weapons - pitchforks aren't weapons, buddy.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not having any zone of control made it difficult to protect wounded units, this was especially dangerous as Tallin and Zlex are squishy.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8. Using a force of level zero units is a rare and unique experience, the enemy infighting gives you a chance and creates some interesting gameplay, and bringing down a warlord with peasants is very satisfying.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Apparently you can release some trolls? Nothing really indicated that to me, maybe hint at that a bit more.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Testing. My last message was lost.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.15.7, Royal Guard (Nightmare)

6, keep your cool, swarm them to death.

Clear. Lead a bloody revolution.

Okayish.

Don't lose too many units at once.

7, it's pretty unique as in having only lvl 0 units. And I like that there are now less villages.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
NR-Breaking the Chains replay 20201122-145950.gz
(31.05 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Warrior_SG

Post by Warrior_SG »

1.16.5, Royal Guard (Nightmare) , No save-loading

5, If you have played even one campaign before this u should understand that u can't just start rushing on the first turns like usual, and if you don't do that it's usually easy

Clear enough

i think there could have been more depth to it, with more starting units (not necessarily loyal) and we see tallin motivate the men to fight

Earning enough gold that i can survive the next scenario, P.S- Ended up with 550 smth gold for the next scenario and hoping that's enough

7, it's pretty unique as in having only lvl 0 units.

No Changes, i find it to be a fitting start to the final campaign for battle of wesnoth.
NR-Breaking the Chains replay 20230221-024001.gz
My strategy was to change my keep from the left to the rightmost one, i think it helps because you can't really rush onto blue warlord cuz of the starting wolves recruited by him and also if you send units from that side towards the center then the usually losing blue side units would target you instead. On the other side targetting the green leader first allows you to hit his enemies from the back.
(28.14 KiB) Downloaded 43 times