Scenario Review: NR 1 - Breaking the Chains

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pinkdwarf

Re: Scenario Review: NR 1 - Breaking the Chains

Post by pinkdwarf »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Swordsman

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 if the orcs weaken each other evenly. It could be quite a lot harder though if one of the orcs gets crushed early because of luck or something. I finished 13 turns early and started the second scenario with 756 gold so it may be too easy for the turn requirement and the amount of bonus gold awarded.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was top quality.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Taking care that none of the orcs defeats the other and gets control of the map while I'm still weak. Aside from the objectives, I found leveling to be very hard, especially for the leader, since I had to keep him recruiting until the last few turns and the leaders were too dangerous.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
10, I liked it a lot.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
If possible, maybe have a few orcs exploring the map to make village grabbing harder.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I got my leader killed in retaliation by a level 2 grunt because I was greedy enough for the level to allow a tiny chance to lose. I shamefully reloaded the same turn and kept my leader safe but unexperienced.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Swordsman, 1.8.1.
(2) 5
(3) Clear.
(4) Excellent.
(5) The only major concern is protecting Tallin.
(6) 8 - unique and interesting challenge.
(7) -
(8) No.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.8.3, Spearman (Challenging), i.e. Normal difficulty

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good, especially the flavor parts.

At first: Managing to level up a few units. After that: Killing that level 2 orc.

Night time complicated things quite a lot, so I had to be very careful at night.

And of course: Randomness. My archer with 60% CTH misses 3 out of 3 while the enemy with 40% CTH hits 3/3. OUCH! A string of bad luck can ruin even the best strategy.

7 – Being able to recruit only level 0 units made for quite a challenge – but a fun one (at least on this difficulty).

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give the player some hint that the caves are full of trolls. The way it is now it’s easy to assume there are dwarves in the caves – an unused keep, an obvious cave entrance, and we know the dwarves fled into the caves. So I was hoping some dwarves have come to the surface to check out the situation. Instead I get a bunch of trolls. Give us a hint, for example: Someone spots tracks on the ground, they are not left by a human, orc, or wolf. The unit wonders if the tracks belong to a troll, hinting that there might be some trolls around.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Twice:
- first time I was careless and got too close to the fighting when both enemies had plenty of units left
- second time was just a load, as I triggered those trolls. There was no way I could kill them, so…
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Aryador

Post by Aryador »

"Normal", which probably means "easy". I got a bit confused with the options. As the scenario was labeled "difficult", i chose the "normal" option, only realizing later that logically the "difficult" option would have been the standard one.

3, pretty easy

Clear.

From a roleplaying perspective, I love the idea of starting with peasants and hunters. This is a wonderful idea, and it was a lot of fun to watch those little peasants level up. There is a very dense atmosphere in this whole campaign that I am very fond of.

I was surprised how effective 0-Level-peasants can be, if they come in numbers. Even more the woodsmen, especially against the orcish troops that don't have any ranged comabt abilities. In fact, it was pretty easy: Gang up on orcish ranged units with peasants and on melee units with woodsmen, and you get an easy ticket to win.

The only difficult phase were the first few rounds of fighting. My tactical idea had been to transfer the leader to the castle in the West and spawning troops there, thus having them closer to the spot, and still occupying a castle that allows you to recruit many units in one turn. Problem was: Tallin was pretty slow. I was hence loosing several precious rounds where I could not recruit, while my army was decimated.

While this was a bit tricky, it never really felt dangerous, and probably staying at the main starting castle would have spared me the whole problem completely. Was fun this way, though.

7-8

No complains.

No.
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

Mythological wrote: (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy
Clear, no doubts
Nice storyline a nice dialog.
Starting with L0 units agains a bunch of angry orcs
No
No, but everything depends on the interactions between the enemies (trolls, orcs): if they kill themself a lot, everything is easy, otherwise things are more difficult.
Don't bother a dwarf.. you can argue with his hammer!
fredbobsmith2

Post by fredbobsmith2 »

"Newbie" for 1.2.8

9, very difficult

Very clear

Crystal clear, amusing.

In my version, 1.2.8, there are no woodsmen, and Al'tar keeps running around so he focuses on me. Then, greenie steals all his villages, and he runs in to me too. Hardest part is getting them to fight each other and not me.

7, so different, a nice change.

Fewer villages, maybe fewer keeps. The orcs just hop villages until they're on my doorstep.

Greenie beating Al'tar before I had a sufficient army to assassinate him.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level; version? Nightmare; 1.9.4
(2) Difficult? 4
(3) Clear? Pretty clear. Not positive that a troll killing an orc leader would allow victory.
(4) Dialog? Nice, but could be shorter.
(5) Challenges? Figuring out what to do with a horde of Peasants and Woodmen.
(6) Fun? 8
(7) Changes? I agree with the WML comment that Trolls should be triggered in a less tomato-surprise fashion. Perhaps use one less Whelp and have them always appear by a certain turn if not already triggered by going to that hex.
(8) Restarts? None.
(9) WML? Very well commented.
(10) Replay? Attached, along with a screenshot. Both the dialog and walkthrough suggest marching shoulder-to-shoulder, but I mostly just waited until the orcs had almost annihilated each other, and then used swarm tactics. I tried to do what I could to keep the power balance about even. Triggering the trolls helped even the score. I leveled up my leader, my other loyal, and one other unit. I start the next scenario with 559 gold after carryover.
Attachments
Wesnoth - NR - Breaking the Chains - turn 14 - swarm tactics.jpg
NR-Breaking_the_Chains_replay.gz
(30.86 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) challenging, 1.8.5
(2) 8
(3) crystal
(4) nice atmosphere, well done! I just find the intro a bit lengthy... but maybe it would be different if there were graphics instead of a black screen.
Strange thing (at least in the german translation I'm playing): Tallin says something about half a dozen of weapons he got while he himself will use a pitchfork... but then they all just use pitchforks.
(5) leveling units. When you have no zone of control, every enemy seems to be a skirmisher. As the AI mainly attacks experienced units, you need 6 friends to shield a hurt unit close to leveling.
(6) 7. unusual and nice, but rather hard. It's sometimes annoying if you don't know if your enemys will attack you or each other.
(7) give maybe three spearmen to the player; that would enhance the tactical possibilities
(8) Lost the first time because I attacked too early. I didn't find the trolls, but that would probably have killed me.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

• 1) Level, Version? Nightmare; 1.9.4 (Custom port – Remake)
    2) Difficult? 4
    3) Clear? Yes.
    4) Dialogue? Fine. Good introduction into story. Too short would be bad. Its not an announcement in newspaper.
    5) Challenges? Actually none except those of choice – no xp for leader and supporter. But I didn't play it first time.
    6) Fun? 8
    7) Changes? Remove intelligent trait from leader unit. If not add him another three. Maybe it would be good to add time over event with some message explaining time limit or pointing this out in opening conversation. Do not mess with trolls good player should predict unpredictable. (Situations when things may go wrong.)
    8) Restarts? None.
    9) WML? Clear. Simple code. Minor issues.
    10) Replay? Included – backported. Missing custom unit portraits are normal.
Attachments
NR-BCN.gz
(36.63 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

1) Level, Version? Normal, 1.9.4
2) Difficulty? 6
3) Clear? Clear.
4) Dialogue? Very well done.
5) Challenges? Grunts cutting down my army at night, including Zlex and Tallinn.
6) Fun? 7
7) Changes? None.
8) Restarts? Moving Tallinn a bit too close to some sharp blades. Went 10 turns back and changed strategy.
9) WML? Well commented.
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

Nightmare, version 1.8.6 wesnoth though

3. Once you realize that one of the AIs can (almost or entirely) kill the other, it get's really easy. Just wait and then send every unit to the leader.

Crystal Clear. I never encountered a troll though, I think I have played this map about 10 times.
Typical orc talk, nothing special but pretty clear.

No challenges. The challenge comes solely from trying to level up your level 0 units and leader.

9, very nice. The unit choice and tactics fit perfectly the story. The map is small enough to avoid stupid long distance walks that lots of campains feature occasionally.

It's probably already good enough for first scenario of the campaign.

no.
Semmers

Post by Semmers »

1) Nightmare, 1.8.5 version
2) 3-4
3) Clear
4) very good dialogues and storyline too
5) too weak units (mine)
6) 7
7) no
taptap

Post by taptap »

Swordsman (Difficult) on 1.9.9, Royal Guard (Nightmare) on 1.10.2. Easy but fun introduction.

Challenge: Inability to kill a 3 hp crossbowman on 50%, lack of ZoC.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
MetalRocks

Post by MetalRocks »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficulty: Nightmare. 60 starting gold.
Version: 1.10.0

Very clear.

Very interesting.

Finishing the scenario in time to earn enough money for the next one.

The best strategy I think is to release the Trolls ASAP so that they might kill the green orc leader early (if you are lucky enoough it will be soon, this doesnt depend on you). Sending a couple of units east (to get villages and release the trolls) and the rest south have given me the best results. Dont lose your time getting towns but focus on finishing early because you are going to need all de gold available for the next scenario.

Wining the scenario on time to earn enough gold for the next scenario is too random. It depends more on the AI decisions than on yours. It can even be won without killing any orc, just releasing the trolls. I think it shouldnt be that way, it should be more a matter of strategy than luck, it should depend on the player choices, not the machine dices, wich gives the player almost the roll of an onlooker praying for an early finish.

Translation to Castilian (or Spanish if you prefer so).
Traducción a la lengua de Cervantes:

(1) ¿En que nivel de dificultad y versión de Wesnoth has jugado el escenario?
Difficultad: Pesadilla (nightmare). 60 de oro de inicio.
Version: 1.10.0

(2) ¿Qué nivel de dificultad le das al escenario? (1-10)

(3) ¿Cómo de claros has encontrado los objetivos del escenario?
Muy claros.

(4) ¿Cómo de claros e interesantes has encontrado los diálogos y la trama del escenario?
Muy interesantes.

(5) ¿Cuales fueron tus principales retos en concluir los objetivos del escenario?
Finalizar el escenario a tiempo para ganar suficiente dinero para el próximo.

La mejor estrategia creo que es liberar a los Trolls tan pronto como sea posible para matar al orco lider verde (con suerte será pronto, esto ya no depende de tí). Envíar un par de unidades al este (para capturar aldeas y liberar a los trolls) y el resto al sur me ha dado los mejores resultados. No pierdas el tiempo capturando pueblos, concentrate en terminar pronto porque vas a necesitar todo el oro posible para el próximo escenario.

(6) ¿Cómo de divertido crees que es el escenario? (1-10)

(7) ¿Qué cambios harías en el escenario, de hacer alguno, para que fuera más divertido?
Ganar el escenario a tiempo para ganar suficiente oro para el siguiente escenario es demasiado aleatorio. Depende más de las decisiones de la IA que de las tuyas. Incluso se puede ganar sin matar un orco. Creo que no debería ser así, debería ser más un tema de estrategia que de suerte, debería depender más de las decisiones del jugador, no de los dados de la máquina, que relega al jugador casi al papel de espectador rezando por un final rápido.
Attachments
BTC.gz
(24.32 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
SBak

Post by SBak »

Normal (Easy)

6. I thought it would be higher but only the Wolf Riders come after you and there's not much difference between Woodsmen and Bowmen.
Clear.
It was interesting enough.
Trying to level Tallinn and Zlex, given that they're both Peasants and there's no way of separating the Orcish Archers from the Orcish Grunts (no horses). Also working out when to release the Trolls and avoid straying Troll Whelps.
Not really.
Yes. Levelling up Woodsmen to Bowmen doesn't necessarily make things easier. Trying to get XP for a Peasant from a healthy Orcish Grunt or Troll is hazardous. Playing cat and mouse with Wolf Riders isn't advisable.