Scenario Review: NR 7 - Settling Disputes

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Thrash

Re: Scenario Review: NR 7 - Settling Disputes

Post by Thrash » February 13th, 2018, 2:32 am

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.12.6, Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

7, getting the tactics right took me a few tries.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I still don't understand why I suddenly lost all my gold.

The dialog is above average, though I find it a little long-winded at times. More would not be better.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

I was playing my white mages a little conservatively since I'm trying to keep one alive so that they can level.

Attempt 1: Send everyone but my mages down the center and have the mages hold the east with the dwarves. The dwarves all quickly suicided and my mages were overwhelmed before my main army could make enough progress.

Attempt 2: Send a couple dwarf lords east to bolster the mages and the rest of my army down the center. Griffins came out of the fog, flanked me, and ate the druid (still L2).

Attempt 3: Attempt 2 but more conservative in the center to protect against griffins. Success. Replay attached.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

7. Short, nice twist with the mages teleporting and the dwarf saving. Watching the berserkers flail endlessly and rarely hitting is entertaining.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Given you have to decide how to split your army early, some hints to the player on how to do so would help. By the time I realized the berserkers were going to be as much help as wet tissue paper, my mages were really on their own.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

See attempts above.
Attachments
NR-Settling_Disputes_replay.gz
(80.85 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

gnombat

Post by gnombat » February 13th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Thrash wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It's been a while since I played this, but wasn't there an explanation for this in the story?

Looking at the source code for the scenario here, it appears that Hamel says, "Ye’ll need to travel light to reach Highbrook Pass before the orcs mount another assault in force. I think ye should take as little gold as you think ye’ll need and leave the rest here. We’ll store it in the tunnels furthest away from the attacking orcs in case they break through."

Thrash

Post by Thrash » February 16th, 2018, 3:29 am

gnombat wrote:
Thrash wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It's been a while since I played this, but wasn't there an explanation for this in the story?

Looking at the source code for the scenario here, it appears that Hamel says, "Ye’ll need to travel light to reach Highbrook Pass before the orcs mount another assault in force. I think ye should take as little gold as you think ye’ll need and leave the rest here. We’ll store it in the tunnels furthest away from the attacking orcs in case they break through."
Hi gnombat, you are right. that dialog is there and I missed it.

Konrad2
Forum Regular

Post by Konrad2 » July 26th, 2018, 9:20 pm

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.1, Hard

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

8, figuring out how to protect Stalrag and how to actually beat those hordes took me 3 tries.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Fun.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Keeping Stalrag alive. Drawing the Gryphons away from him. Killing any Gryphon that might reach him.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

7. I like the charakters.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Add a Note that this scenario is possible to win, even though it does not look like it.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Grpyhon assasinations.
Attachments
NR-Settling Disputes replay.gz
(54.76 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
I am a Ghost: I drain the life energy from other people to survive and am hated/feared by regular people. Non-regular people don't like me either though.