Scenario Review: DW 12 - Revenge

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sine_nomine

Re: Scenario Review: DW 12 - Revenge

Post by sine_nomine »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (Triton), wesnoth 1.12.4
593 starting gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Perfect

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Great

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
I was expecting this scenario to be really hard but it wasn't. I was expecting to have to fight through waves of powerful enemies to reach the central keep but there were only a few weak soulless and bats and despite being unprepared I was able to kill the necromancer before reinforcements could arrive from the northeast. It would have been even easier if I knew the enemy wouldn't recruit turn 1 (I could have recruited more diviners/sirens/etc early and have a stronger rush). At that point I kept pushing towards the northeast and cleaned up there. When the necromancer reinforcements arrived the scenario was basically over already. I played really sloppy after taking the centre because victory was in sight and I didn't have to worry about keeping units alive for future scenarios.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
I like the changes to the map from prior scenarios and it's kind of satisfying to hear undead getting slaughtered.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I think it all revolves around the central keep; if the necromancer can hold out for reinforcement from the northeast/southeast and from the other necromancers, you might have to fall back rather than just pushing through even at night. I don't know if recruiting on turn 1 would be enough but it's a start. And make sure the central leader doesn't rush out to get killed, he should prioritize safety (was fine in my playthrough but just making sure).
Also I think the necromancer reinforcement could bring some gold for the various leaders so you have to fight through another wave.
Oh by the way I just found out there's some amulet to pick up, and if your bat picks it up he starts talking.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Attachments
DW-Revenge_replay.gz
(82.18 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
lujo

Post by lujo »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Highest, 1.12.6 (I think it's "6")

1. This was due to the fact that I collected every bonus so far and took my time with the reloads on previous levels so I had plenty of lvl3 units to recruit. Also because the Merman Initiate healer line is very favored by this campaign, this scenario... and the game as a whole, really it's a silly unit at lvl 3. Having a swarm of them makes this level trivial. Also the AI quirk detailed in "what you would change".

Fine.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Fine.

Nothing. I just rolled a huge ball of Illuminate around the map.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

The map kind of falls appart because the SE Necromancer summons a ton of ghost path units. They seem to go after the villages in the west even if you, like me, just roll your massive ball of merfolk straight towards the centre from turn 1. What happens is that there's a big cloud of wraiths not doing anything in the empty west while the player is free to trample the center. That's quite a problem, and I'd look into whatever might help with that (including swapping roles if nother else works, so that the center summons ghosts).

Another thing is that it's really not clear what the 4 high level skelletons guarding the entrance to the lagoon are there for. I completely anihilated the center of the map and they didn't budge. I think getting them to haul ass towards the center if the player makes a move towards it (if that can be scripted) would be a rather good idea.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Difficult, 1.14.1

2, I literally teared the undead apart, even though I didn't bother much with strategy.

Fine.

Fine.

Nothing. I just walked up to them and watched them crumble.

Have the reinforcements be accompanied by some ghosts/bats/skeletons.

No.
Attachments
DW-Revenge replay.gz
(62.29 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Very clear

- It's good, but I wish Mal-Kevek received a better dying dialogue, as he could be refered as the campaign's main antagonist. The epilogue is satisfying, which is this one of my favorite campaigns.

- Trying to sustain the least deaths of my units

- No, it's all right

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7, all four difficulty levels.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, somewhat interesting. If Tyegëa dies, her last words are to say Kai Krellis isn't her grandson - arrogant til the very end.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Lots of enemies. With flying enemies such as the ones from the necromancer on the southeast, the AI knows how to do a good plan on which of my units to attack.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's good as it is.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No