The Rise of Wesnoth 22 - The Rise of Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 22 - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty, version 1.1.7

7/10 - Just right.

Unusually complex but very well explained.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Great. Who says storyline doesn't matter.

The first couple of nights gave me some real hairy moments. Also the bridges getting taken out made for some interesting fantasy-style amphibious attacks.

11/10 - It certainly made up for any bad levels in the campaign.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Well, I think it's pretty perfect as is. If I had to choose something I would bring to attention the cuttlefish smashing the bridges. From a gameplay point of view it is cool, but for a storyline it seems a bit contrived to have all the bridges smashed in the same way.
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 10. When i saw the battlefield for the first time i said ' Ok, this can't be done '. DAMN IT! There are -5- enemy encampments! And you must kill all of them! I haven't done this yet...
(3) Not Clear. Kill every single enemy leader. The Lieutenant must be killed by Jevyan. Finally, destroy Jevyan ( who did it? )
(4) Nice dialogs. I like when the Lieutenant decides to sacrifice himself.
(5) Everything. There are 5 enemies attacking you ( 4 orcs 1 undead ) and at night they are unstoppable. Jevyan has got a giant base that seems impossible to assault... and there's the time limit
(6) 8. I lost but had fun. It's a nice mission.
(7) Just 4 enemy leaders would be enough.
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
scott

Post by scott »

Lord Jevyan wrote: (2) 10. When i saw the battlefield for the first time i said ' Ok, this can't be done '. DAMN IT! There are -5- enemy encampments! And you must kill all of them! I haven't done this yet...
(3) Not Clear. Kill every single enemy leader. The Lieutenant must be killed by Jevyan. Finally, destroy Jevyan ( who did it? )
Actually you have to leave one orc camp alive. If you kill all of the orcs, you lose. It is somewhat convoluted... and your misunderstanding strengthens your score for question 3 :) .
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Lord Jevyan, did you just play through the whole campaign in two days?
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

no, i played this campaign some months ago and yesterday i decided to post my comments. I haven't finished the last mission yet
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
grochti

Post by grochti »

medium 1.1.8
Perfectly clear
Very clear and interesting
I had to restart once, because i had tried two build up to frontiers. As I was not able to recall units fast enough i was overrun.
It annoved me that every bridge was destroyed by a monster. I would prefer 1 or 2 monster on randomized postions.
The Lich is a wimp. Battle is basically over, when you defeat the first wave of orcish attackers. Give him more gold, let him summon a sceleton dragon or what ever.
MiniST

Post by MiniST »

1.) easy 1.0.2
2.) 3/10 i guess i should have started this campaign on medium or hard. Too lazy to start over.
3.) Clear enough
4.) It was ok.
5.) There were none considering that i started with an enormous amount of gold(999 to be exact) My paladins and grand knights were overkill with tons of horseman as cannon fodder if needed.
6.) 6/10
7.) I didn't see the point of the skeletons that were summoned in the water. Took them like 10 turns to get on land and after that, they were instantly owned.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Just done the campain again (did it about one year ago at least, maybe more) :D

And eventually had an impressive recall list for this scenario :
3 Grand Knights
3 Paladins
9 Royal Guards :twisted:
5 Hallbardiers
2 Iron Maulers
4 Silver Mages
1 Grand Mage
1 Archmage (with 12 XP left for Grand Mage)
2 Mages of Light
2 Tritons
1 Hoplite
3 Knights
3 Swordsmen
2 Pikemen
3 Mermen Warriors
1 White Mage

and the auto-recalled ones : Burin (Dwarven Lord with ... hum ... 4 AMLA), Ruddry (GK with only 3) and Edmond (MoL)

The main force was of course the 9 guards who owned about averything, plus GK and palladins to wipe anything left

Was fun but nowhere difficult :P
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

1. Easy and Medium

2. Eight. I would call it more difficult, but it doesn't have any really annoying choke points or tricks that make a scenario turn into that really annoying 10.

3. I would say 6 or 7. They were clearly and accurately stated. More complicated than the average scenario, but nothing that someone can't get who reads them a few times.

4. 9 or 10. Although compared to some of the complications before, this scenario isn't quite as plot heavy as might be expected.

5. Hordes of enemies. You need a lot of high level units. Once you have established a line, you do have enough turns to keep pressing forward.

6. 8-10. A big battle! With all sorts of whirls and eddies! A chance to use all sorts of tactics and strategies!

7. It has more to do with the previous scenarios. You need, I think, at least 500 Gold to have a shot at this scenario. Without that, you are just watching yourself slowly go down.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Kirdan

Post by Kirdan »

Hmm.. just finished this campaign on medium. (Ubuntu Dapper version)
It felt harder than HttT. You can easily build the wrong army and have to start over. Paladins and some of the 3 initial Heavy Inf. are important. Paladins because of the large scenario maps with undead and the HI because they are loyal and make a great wall against piercing units together with som MoLs. Silver mages will also solve many problems for you.

Anyway... I ended up with this army for recall:
2 (nearly 3) Great Mage
2 Grand Night.
3 Iron Mauler
1 (nearly 2) Assassin
3 Mage of Light
2 Master Bowman (didn't really use them for anything but the Drakes in Peoples in Decline)
4 Merman Triton (had 6 but lost two in Return of the Fleet - oh well)
4 (nearly 5) Paladins
2 Royal guard
2 Silver Mage
1 Lancer
2 Bandits, 2 Trapper
A General and an Outlaw Queen.
Oh.. and 1 Dwarf Lord who got killed in this scenario.

Except for this (the last) scenario I was able to stay pretty much without losses. I ended up short of turns here and had to sacrify some units to allow my Silver Mages to kill the last (second to last) leader. Anyway:

1. Medium
2. 8 (depends very much on your army. I had to give up with only 2 paladins and go back to Vanguard to recruit different)
3. very
4. hmm.. ok.
5. moving around the large map with bridges being destroyed.
6. 8 (scenarios with puzzles are more fun, but it doesn't matter for the final scenario of a campaign)
7. None really. It's good to end a campaing with a scenario were you can just recruit your whole army (and need to to survive) and not care about money.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

(1)1.1.11, hard

(2) 9,5
(3) Clear
(4) Very clear and very interesting
(5) first, finding the right strategy. It's very tempting to go straight down and
think "go for Jevyan before he overwhelms us with whatever he recalls every turn, plus income from the villages and hordes of bats.
This is wrong, as you will get squashed by the enemy ariving from the west and the nagas in the water. Instead, I went west first and kept a small force to hold the bank out east. Eventually this force took out the eastern orc and Jevyan. I am attaching a replay to demonstate(not optimized). Second, showing restraint not to rush,
for instance in crossing the bridges. Third, the tactics as I started with 376 gold and had to make sure not losing troops. This means picking many fights
with a few enemies and healing in time. Resisting the opportunity to go for kills, if this weakens the formation
(6) 10
(7) None, keep it as it is.
I am attaching a replay to illustrate the strategy
Attachments
The_Rise_of_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(63.56 KiB) Downloaded 1360 times
Imp

Post by Imp »

Who else gets File Corrupt errors in Jevyan's first turn with Santi's replay?
Kowasu

Post by Kowasu »

Normal and 1.2.4

Very clear

It left me wondering if I could have saved two other npcs... I had not saved either king.

Just the horde and the mass assualts at night. I was fully prepared for this battle.

Maybe a swurve or twist in the story. More NPCs.
DonNguyen

What i had when i ended

Post by DonNguyen »

i had...

2 Grand Mage
12 Great Knight :shock: hehehe
8 Paladins :!: funny no
2 Mage of Light
2 Iron Mauler
3 Outlauw Ranger

and only 1 royal guard, halberdier, and master bowman

Funny eh i like my calvary