The Rise of Wesnoth 17b - Lizard Beach

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 17b - Lizard Beach

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 112a hard
2. 4, not that bad though it depends on what the AI recruits
3. kill enemy leaders, clear as day
4. more errands, its fine
5. the saurians are almost 60% to dodge everywhere, rather annoying, but good thing for their terrible hp
6. 5, it's alright, don't get to see the saurians often
7. Fine by me.

Non-level 1 causualties:
None.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy, 1.1.2a

5/10, not many losses, but those skirmishers are a pain.

Clear enough.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Well it made sense I guess... Though... once I completed the scenario the first time, and the camera panned to Haldric so he could say his winning speech, the game crashed.

Not losing my Shock Trooper.

6/10, the marshes are a pain.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Dunno... Take out the marshes, stop them from being able to recruit Naga... Just have a small detachment of Naga at the start.

EDIT - It's happened again, I loaded the autosave from the previous turn and it crashed once it moved over to Haldric. Hmm...
scott

Post by scott »

Peidu wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.1.2a

5/10, not many losses, but those skirmishers are a pain.

Clear enough.

Well it made sense I guess... Though... once I completed the scenario the first time, and the camera panned to Haldric so he could say his winning speech, the game crashed.

Not losing my Shock Trooper.

6/10, the marshes are a pain.

Dunno... Take out the marshes, stop them from being able to recruit Naga... Just have a small detachment of Naga at the start.

EDIT - It's happened again, I loaded the autosave from the previous turn and it crashed once it moved over to Haldric. Hmm...
Can you send me a saved game before it happens or your error output?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

I believe this is the save you want... I think it's saved at teh beginning of the turn, so you might have to kill the Saurian leader, but that only needs 2 or 3 units, nice and quick.

Tell me if it's the wrong one! :)
Attachments
HALDRIC_CAMPAIGN_STOP.zip
This should be it...
(42.37 KiB) Downloaded 1187 times
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: A Beach

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty, version 1.1.5

4/10 - Silver mages whoop on that level. Took me awhile to think of it though.

Clear as day. Ho-hum

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the
scenario?
Perfectly, slightly amusing

Keeping mages alive from skirmishing Saurians

7/10 - The Saurians made a nice change

I find the idea of Saurians recuiting scorpians a bit weird. Do they really need to be there?
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 6. Seems easy in the beginning but lizards are smart.
(3) Very clear
(4) Nothing interesting. The storyline stops in these four tests.
(5) Keeping heal mages alive. Hard to defend them from lizards
(6) 6. Sometimes this level becomes frustrating...
(7) More villages.
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
Isen

Post by Isen »

Hard, 1.2.3

7/10

Clear

Rather entertaining.

Keeping injured units alive against skirmishers = pain.

5/10

A larger starting castle to reduce recruiting time.
LipeR

Post by LipeR »

Medium, 1.3.14

Clear.

Nice. Reference to last mission was amused me.

Almost everything. There is just too many challenges in this scenario. Nagas and saurians which can reach you almost everywhere. Mudglobes - they won't hurt much, but they can be annoying. The enemies were just swarming my poor troops. Sand hexes next to enemy castles and marshes in the middle won't help either. And when I finally managed to kill the green leader, five nagas appeared and blue saurian were given a colossal amount of gold. I could fend off the second swarm if not the turn limit.

2. Never more.

(1) Change the mudglobes for some other monster.
(2) Don't give the saurian leaders more money, when beach is attacked.
allblue_dream

Post by allblue_dream »

1) 1.4 hard
2) 10 (haven't beaten yet)
3) Clear
4) Interesting
5) Not enough gold. This is a general problem with this campaign, no gold, and lots, lots of enemies! I got only the 100 starting gold, so you are talking about keeping units alive by formation? You don't have a formation. :twisted:
Also, time is not enough. This point is connected with gold. I have this problem all through the campaign. Even if I S/L every move I make, I am forever surrounded by enemy units that I never have enough time to make it to their leaders. Rush is a strategy. I succeeded with Clearwater Port, where if you don't rush, you'll get overwhelmed in a ridiculous way. But with this map, I only succeeded in rushing (not nearly fast as RUSH may suggest, but anyway) the leader in the South with a company of Haldric, Jessica, two grand knights, one mage of light and a slow-as-hell dwarf lord Burin the Lost. I also recalled two mermen Hoplites (one with the storm attack) as a bate for the Northern enemy--barely got them back alive. AND I haven't succeeded in reaching the Northern leader yet...
6) 1? It's not fun to see those Nagas appearing from nowhere when you try to finish off a Saurian leader. Neither is it fun (generally) to fight against an enemy 10 times or 20 times stronger than yours.
7) At least give me more money so I can bring my advanced units into action. Any change is welcome, since this scenario is not fun...
Interested in how open source people behave :)
F50

Post by F50 »

1.4 medium

I think 6-7. Couldn't prevent my merman Tritan from dying. Otherwise not that hard. I needed the gold it gave me.

very.

funny.

keeping units alive.

I give it 6-7, the saurians are a nice change.

I concur with not giving the other leader more gold. When I realized that the blue leader got gold, I went back to the previous turn and killed both leaders simultaneously. Netted me 300+ gold. This was sorely needed.

My main problem with this campaign as a whole is that your gold from one scenario only (visibly) carries over to the scenario immediately after. There are so few villages that upkeep drains all your gold, so the best strategy (that I've found) is to over-recruit and kill the enemies quickly for the bonus (I don't think you have to pay upkeep if you finish early).
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hard 1.6.0

8- Rather difficult (again, partly because I just have this urge to not recruit more than 3-4 loads of troops; even if I have the capability)

Clear

Not much dialogue.

Keeping my mages alive. Saurians are a PAIN to fight. Not only do they have skirmish, they are super fast (especially when you run into quick ones). Plus, the entire map is designed to favor them and hurt the loyalists.

4- Not too fun. I ended up just bashing through the lower part while some footpads and my two remaining mermen held off the northern part in the forests. I ended up not recalling any lvl 3s (other than my MoLs, my Merman, and my Loyal HI) and using only lvl 1s and 2s, which I didn’t mind losing. I ended up with a whole bunch of leveled pikemen.

I’m not sure. This level probably would have been more fun for me if I’d had more mermen. Them leaving caught me a bit by surprise (quit possibly because I don’t pay very much attention to hints).
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal)

6 if you want to avoid losses, 3 if you don’t care how many of your units die

Clear.

Good.

Avoiding losses.

6 – nice rehearsal before facing the dragon and his saurians.

I think it is fine as it is – at least as long as you have enough gold and level 3s.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Once I left Haldric in swamp (20% def) and within reach of 3 enemy units. Unsurprisingly he got killed. After replaying that turn I left him in the range of two enemy units – this time he survived (barely).
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
fenny

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 5-7, depends on the amount of money at start. If you killed the vampirella quick enough in the previous scenario it's not so hard.
3) clear
4) ok
5) don't loose to many units
6) 3, it's more a hard work scenario, and i don't like fighting saurians
7) i don't know
8 ) yes, i got a major character killed
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Lord (challenging/hardest); 1.9.3; 233 starting gold (minimum is 200)

Clear.

Good.

Not losing any loyals was very difficult.

Great as is.

(8) Restarts?
I played it several times before I was able to win without losing any loyals. No save-reloads, though.

(9) WML?
There is just one comment.

(10) Replay?
Attached.

This is a fairly chaotic replay. Other times, I maintained a more disciplined line, but I had learned that it wasn't necessary and I could steamroller the Saurians by being more aggressive, though then the problem is making sure no loyals die. One time I moved my raw recruit Horseman into harm's way to protect my loyal Triton, and miraculously the Horseman survived three attacks. Unlike my other attempts, this time there was a protracted and uncomfortable showdown at the second bridge, with my troops being pinned in the swamp by Nagas initially. My troops were only semi-swamp-worthy, with three Mermen, a Huntsman, and Lady Jessene. At the very end, I held the last leader hostage for XP for my level 1 troops. The early finish bonus was identical to my income per turn, since I had all the villages.
••••
Edit: Oh my. It's now 4 years later and nobody else has reviewed this scenario in the meantime. To avoid a dreaded "double post," I am editing my old post.

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.15 save file but 1.11.16 program, 314 starting gold (minimum is 200.)
(2) Difficult? 6 with this much gold.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? I don't get it when Lady Jessene says, "(sigh) I bet he sees none of the irony in that." Due to the sigh, I infer that the "he" refers to Haldric. Haldric is offended that monsters called him a monster, and wants to put them to the blade as a result. So is Jessene saying that because Haldric wants to wage war out of anger, he is a monster?
(5) Challenges? I decided to try the advice from an earlier reviewer and go with a nearly all Mage and Peasant force. I did recall my two loyal Mermen, but otherwise, I only recruited Mages and Peasants and only recalled Mage line units. I recalled two Mages of Light, one White Mage, and two Red Mages, plus I had my loyal Mage of Light. It worked, but sometimes I was forced to use L1 Mages as line holding units on open ground, which often resulted in the death of a Mage. So, this approach would work better with a few Spearmen or Bowmen added in.
(6) Fun? 9, all sorts of strategies are viable, so it's interesting in that way.
(7) Changes? Nobody likes the gold boost to the second leader after the first dies.
Attachments
TRoW-Lizard_Beach_replay.gz
Newer replay, Wesnoth version 1.11.16.
(104.19 KiB) Downloaded 745 times
TRoW-Lizard_Beach_replay.gz
Original replay, Wesnoth version 1.9.3.
(78.84 KiB) Downloaded 810 times