The Rise of Wesnoth 17a - The Dragon

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordWolfDan

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 17a - The Dragon

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Easy

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

- Pretty clear, though I didn't expect the dragon to pop up from the doors in the mountain

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- It's good, though I wish there was more of the dragon lines

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

- Being flanked by these saurians. Did I say how much I hate saurians?

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Make it that once you beat all the saurians, dragon shows up
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.5, Hard

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? 

Good.

Not falling into my normal pattern of advancing into enemy lines. The terrain closer to the Saurians is heavily in their favour and very bad for land troops, so stading my ground at first was a better idea.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-
Attachments
TRoW-The Dragon replay.gz
(60.84 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
markd81

Post by markd81 »

1.14.9, hard

At first it was very hard. I had little gold and to little pikemen. I redid the previous scenario, then the Troll hole and by having more money and two soon to be leveled up pikemen it was fairly easy.

Very clear.

It was ok.

After having enough gold not much.

Pretty funny especially the huge dragon.

Not much really.
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.
I did the elvish quests in the order CABD (Trolls > dragon > beach > undead).
302 starting gold here.

9/10. The saurians are numerous and rather annoying to slowly beat back. And I was not expecting the dragon to pop out before reaching (what I assume is) its lair in the cave on the mountain. That's a really scary boss fight.

I think the bonus objective can just be "Defeat all enemy leaders" - no need to repeat the bit about the dragon.
It could also be clarified that we can kill the dragon first, then the saurian leaders.
And it could be clarified whether we win or lose if we kill the dragon and stay on, but fail to kill the saurians before turns run out.

Good dialogue and timing. Yes, it could be worse, we could indeed be back in that troll hole.

Reacting to the dragon suddenly popping out in the middle was alarming. I was lucky enough to have a strong position and good units to deal with it nearby. That aside, reaching the saurian leaders in time with minimal risk. It's nice that the leaders don't always aggressively come out to attack.

By way of strategy, my answer to saurians (as with a lot of things) was footpads. Lots of footpads and outlaws. They dodge well, move well enough in bad terrain, have retaliation at both ranges, and deal impact which saurians are weak to. Support them with white mages and they do pretty alright.

For the dragon, what I had on the field was a mage of light for the illumination, and Burin, Sir Ruddry, and Haldric for the muscle in melee (clearly the safer range). There were two turns of panic as I had to quickly retreat from the east saurian leader and dragon, regrouping to kill the dragon at night (the dragon can more or less kill one unit per turn, so quick is good.) Lady Jessene finished off the dragon, so... Jessene the Dragonbane it is then.

10/10. It's not everyday you see and slay a fire dragon. And the setting for the fight is well constructed.

Clarify the objectives slightly.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
TRoW-The Dragon replay 20210628-184846.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(82.64 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.1, Lord (Difficult)

4, I have a full army of lvl 3s + decent carry over, while the saurians can only throw lvl 2 and below at me.

Clear.

Clear.

Baiting the Dragon porperly.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-The Ka’lian replay 20211203-110322.gz
Sealing the pact
(42.35 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
TRoW-A Spy in the Woods replay 20211203-110452.gz
aftermath
(40.76 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
TRoW-The Ka’lian replay 20211201-170203.gz
'Choosing' the quest
(41.39 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
TRoW-The Dragon replay 20211201-173619.gz
(62.05 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1) 1.16.5 Intermediate

(2) 7 - It's quite easy once you understand that you can wait for the first wave on the plains where Saurians have bad defenses, quite difficult otherwise.

(3) Quite clear but it's not obvious how to find the Dragon

(4) Quite good.

(5) At first, confronting the saurians in the swamp.
The Dragon is both powerful and quick, so there's no real way to protect important units if you don't know where it will appear.

(6) 7 - Randomness in confronting the dragon isn't fun

(7) Warn the player about the dragon's speed, so that s/he knows to protect/screen the important units.
Maybe give more gold but less turns so it's imperative to go into the swamps early ?