The Rise of Wesnoth 17a - The Dragon

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lumaca

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Dragon

Post by Lumaca »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 145

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
9, Very

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Quite, first I was not sure where the dragon was. Maybe you should make the dragon cave look more like a cave and less like a mine.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's good

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Money... The Saurians were too high in levels... I mean, there are actually more Saurians here (and in higher levels as well!) than the Saurian-clearing mission!

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4, I was just glad I did it...

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it less about the Saurians and more about the dragon.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium, version 1.4.5

Definitely 10

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Acceptable.

Still didn't make it. I have only 100 gold. Previous mission are perfect "gold drainers". For me is impossible to get more gold. Main challenges? SURVIVE for more than 5 turns. Too many lizards, to good terrain for them.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it easier. Simple. Now is completely overpowered.
I HATE this scenario.

EDIT
I just managed to kill this %$&#@! dragon! Only 100 gp at the beginning, 5 recalls. I left a tough swordsman behind main troops, so the rest had less enemies on their way. I managed to breakthrough with Sir Ladoc and Prince Haldric. Slash/slash the dragon fallen dead. But I failed on getting his treasury. After all - very overpowered scenario. Less lizadrs - the terrain is too good for them, to send them so many against player. And as someone already said - the Dragon is stupid as a brick :)
Last edited by Majki-Fajki on March 9th, 2009, 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Majki-Fajki wrote:Make it easier. Simple. Now is completely overpowered.
I HATE this scenario.
Try playing a newer release, like the in the 1.5 branch. Also search the forum for threads about how players deal with the set of 4 scenarios.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
silent

Post by silent »

I'll offer some help for the 1.4.7 version if he wants a stable version (I played on medium)

Yes the dragon is stupid. That helps

There isn't too many saurians, unless a significant change occurred from 1.4.5 to 1.4.7
That is, depending on the order of the challenges.
If you come into them with 100 gold, you will have to backtrack quite a long way, probably to clearwater port.

This is the order I did them in, and as a result, went into the vanguard with 650 gold

-Troll hole
-Lizard beach
-Cursed isle
-The dragon

It's very difficult, but this may help along the way
1. Do not overspend gold on either peoples in decline or rough landing. Win with as few troops as possible (by that I mean avoid loss of high level units where possible and kill off anything that is cannonfodder)
2. In a new land, delay the encounter for as long as possible, while stealing all sea villages with lord typhon. If you don't recruit, that's an extra 30 gold
3. Troll hole should be done first in my opinion as it's the most frustrating of the 4. don't allow income to drop below -10 if possible.
4. For lizard beach, the trick I found is that divide the forces equally, tackling both the blue and green leader at the same time. I used poachers as cannon fodder of choice, as they are also good in swamps, and unless they go heavy on oracles, are a pain for saurians, esp. backed by a white mage
5. Do cursed isle next for the gold bonus. One of the temples also contains 50 gold.
6. Beating all enemies is a must for the gold bonus from the dragon level, as you'll need the gold for the next 2 scenarios

hope this helps
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hard 1.6.0

8- Saurians are just plain annoying to fight. Super fast and skirmisher on top of it makes it super impossible to keep all units alive; even if you have cannon fodder along.

Clear

All right. Nothing special.

Surviving a bunch of speed 7/8 skirmishing units with hefty bonuses at night.

4- I am starting to experience burn out. This campaign is very long, and this is the sixth major battle kill all enemies be overwhelmed by hordes of enemies scenario (previous are the Swamp of Esten, the Oldwood, Clearwater Port, The Sewer of Southbay, A final Spring, Peoples in Decline).

These scenarios all seem to follow the same basic plot line; kill all the enormous hordes advancing on you. I can only take so much of that before it starts to get dull. I’m using the same old units over and over and over and over and over. There are relatively few new level ups (though I try to keep advancing a few). The Loyalists interact horribly with the terrain, meaning that varying the landscape has much less affect on the interest level than it would with other campaigns. Woods and hills are all the same to loyalists.

I think for optimum enjoyment of the campaign, the climax should be coming now, or shortly (either that, or cut some of the more boring scenarios that came earlier).

Unfortunately, I know from experience that the campaign isn’t going to end shortly.

I’m still enjoying the campaign (this level got such a low rating because of the annoying skirmish thing). But it’s going down from here.

I’m not sure. Maybe introduce a few mountains to slow down the saurians a bit? Make for more covering possibilities than just “surround with as many units as possible: plus put an expendable unit out and hope they attack it”.

You could have this a swamp in a mountain valley (it’s around a mountain, isn’t it? Just put a few more around it.)
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
IoN

Post by IoN »

1.78 Medium

5 - a bit challenging, but doable. I managed to get it in my first try with only two veteran losses (a knight and a red mage). I came into it with almost 700 gold, though.

Clear.

Clear, but the wisecracks that Jessene says at random turns in every other scenario seem kinda stilted and awkward sometimes.

Protecting wounded units.

None.
fenny

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 7, i played it as the last of the four elvish tasks and had enough money. First i kill all the saurian leaders and occupy all villages, then i wake the dragon.
3) clear
4) ok
5) don't let the dragon attack a precious unit, you don't want to sacrifice
6) 6, i like the map, but i'm not a fan of saurians
7) nothing
8 ) no
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal)

3 – surprisingly easy

Clear, except that I didn’t know if the dragon will appear on his own, or if I have to somehow “wake him up”.

Good.

Avoiding losses. I still lost 2 level 3s due to bad placement.

5 – another kill-em-all

Nothing I can think of.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No, nothing.

The fact that this was my final challenge made quite a difference. Things would have been a lot more difficult if I had done this first (and so had a lot less starting gold).
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Lord (challenging/hardest); 1.9.3; 273 starting gold (minimum is 200)

4 to wake dragon prematurely, kill him, and quit
7 to engage enemy, wait for dragon to wake, kill him, and quit
10 to defeat all leaders (I was never able to do it, due to time limit)

It wasn't clear to me at first that I could kill the dragon, then the enemy leaders, so on my first attempt I kept the dragon alive and ZOC pinned between two units.

Storyline is good. I have some nitpicks on dialog. The dialog says "Watch for the big Mudcrawlers"... should be "Watch out for the big Mudcrawlers." I didn't like Haldric's response of "We shall see" after the dragon threatened. Maybe just an italics aside "He doesn't seem so happy to see us." I didn't like Haldric's quip about things not going well and the beach being nicer. The thing is, when he says it my forces might have scarcely engaged the enemy by that time - or one time I had killed two leaders on turn 4, with no losses of units, and then he's saying it's not going well. So, have him say something more generic.

On hard, I think it's next to impossible to get the early finish bonus. I kept trying for a long time. Even when I assassinated two leaders on turn 4, it still wasn't enough. The turn limit is too tight on hard. There is too much level 0 spam to plow through to finish in time.

Raise the time limit on hard.

(8) Restarts?
Yes, many failures, restarting from start each time. Oh yeah, there was a crash once when I used planning mode and then selected "undo".

(9) WML?
Needs commenting. Could comment on conditions for waking dragon.

(10)Replay?
Attached, along with a screenshot. I came up with an innovative solution to the problem of not being able to get an early finish bonus. I suicided a Horseman by moving him near the dragon's lair, thus waking the dragon. Then I waited for the dragon to come, backing up north of my keep so that first contact would be at a better time of day, and I killed him. Well, except the dragon got lucky and survived one turn. Fortunately, he was sedate, choosing to try to recoup 2 hitpoints by sitting still rather than roasting my heavily wounded loyal Grand Knight. It was over on turn 8. My losses were the suicide Horseman and two Peasants. Although the scenario ended quickly, I was able to steer some XP to deserving units. Because I had recruited somewhat lightly, I have a little carryover (31 gold.) My final quest is Cursed Isle, which everyone says needs extra gold.
Attachments
wesnoth - TRoW - The Dragon - waiting for the dragon.jpg
TRoW-The_Dragon_replay.gz
(64.33 KiB) Downloaded 870 times
sv75

Post by sv75 »

(1) 1.9.2, hard
(2) 7/10
(3) Very clear
(4) Dialogs are pretty good.
(5) Protecting wounded units from lyzardmen skirmishers.
(6) 8/10
(7) Dragon sprite is just way too big. The dragon has very low health for uberunit, please increase it.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.15, 337 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? 6 to kill the Dragon and not the enemy leaders.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Good.
(5) Challenges? Recruiting versus the saurian-mudcrawler-dragon force is challenging, because impact units are good against saurians, but bad against the dragon and worthless against mudcrawlers. Arcane is good against mudcrawlers and the dragon, but not so good against saurians. Fire is doubled versus mudcrawlers and 20% increased versus saurians but zeroed versus the dragon. For strategy, I did a straight line in the corner, as is my preference against saurians:
wesnoth - TRoW - The Dragon - line in the corner.jpg
The only tricky part was what to do with the end of my line at the northern board edge. There I decided to put a Mage of Light that was 1 point away from leveling. (It's in the above picture, but the replay omitted his XP bar.) He was open to three attacks, but nobody bothered him. I held off the Saurians and awaited the dragon. When the dragon came, he killed my only Ranger. Well, actually a Vampire Bat did, after the dragon roasted him. (So you should put all spam on the front line when the dragon is about to make contact.) I then broke formation so as to kill the dragon in one turn.
(6) Fun? 8, I really like it, but I wish I could figure out how to get a total victory.
(7) Changes? None necessary.
Attachments
(104.94 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
Theron

Post by Theron »

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.16

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
17-the dragon 200+148 22/33 4-13-3-4-71

Comments:
Done as 1. quest.
For getting the early finish bonus it is advisable to rely heavily on mages.
Move fast to engage the enemy in small numbers.
I needed several reloads to prevent prematurely awaken the dragon (tomato surprises are bad!)
Silver Mages are perfect to block the dragons’s movement.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Dragon_replay_HARD.gz
(91.33 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / challenging. 1.12.2. 380 gold. Merfolk + mages + screening units (bows, poachers, spears, horses), survived the first night just fine in a big cohesive group in the center, but started to suffer losses when breaking formation later and not checking everything all the time. The dragon almost went down in a single round (high level merfolk fighters do brilliantly), but barely survived, I feared the worst (restart from scenario start that is), but Minister Edren clubbed him to death (heroically dodging while being severely wounded). Double hitpoints on the dragon would work better (later: no don't, it is fine as is). Finished turn 18/33 with 233 carryover (killed all 4 leaders + dragon).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal

7 to kill all leaders and the dragon.

Clear

Good.

Not being able to recruit enough units to have two solid formations that could both advance quickly enough but hold a solid defensive line. You need to entice the leaders out of their forts to kill them quickly enough.

I replayed once after beating the scenario the first time but losing large numbers of units in the process. Second time (replay attached) I was more disciplined.

Nothing comes to mine.
Attachments
(94.76 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6
Attachments
(65.4 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains