The Rise of Wesnoth 14 - Rough Landing

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 14 - Rough Landing

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 112a hard
2. 8
3. kill enemy leaders, clear as day
4. it's alright, island hopping and all
5. very few towns means you cant recruit many units or else you lose all your money to upkeep. This plus the crazy amount of recruits the AI gets makes it incredibly harsh
6. 2. it's like fighting underground, except the enemy can move through the cave walls. getting merman helps... but only so much because there are so many damn naga
7. This scenario plus the last scenario should be one very BIG scenario. Sort of like how UtBS does it. After you clear a large island of drakes, you have to deal with naga who are preventing you from leaving the island. Merge the 2 maps into one, so you actually have some breathing room, can recruit a decent amount of troops without worrying about being eaten alive by upkeep, and generally make it more entertaining.

Non-Level 1 Casualities:
2 mermen warriors, 1 longbowman.
Most deaths for a single type of unit: 19 mermen.

I'm trying to use them to fight back on these water maps... but they're evenly matched against the naga and I've killed..... omfg 72 naga. SOO badly outnumbered. Even 2:1 naga vs mermen, that means I'd have recruited at least 36 mermen. 36!!

Considering naga and mermen have only engaged in combat for the past 3 maps (didnt even have naga in the drake map) and they are both what I lost the most of and killed the most of, that's ridiculous. And when one of those maps is this tiny one? gg frustrating
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy, 1.1.2a

6/10, Sea Serpents are the thorn in my side.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I agree with the above persons post... merge the two scenarios. Other than that, it sort of makes sense.

Not getting Typhon and Storm Trident mermen killed.

4/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Sea Serpents should also be attacking the Naga.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Rough Landing

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty, version 1.1.3

9/10 - I wasn't fighting Nagas or Bats, I was fighting the random number generator.

...clear.

It was good, nothing there that I would change.

The RNG.

0/10 - And here's me thinking that the previous level was bad! The only scenario I can think of that was worse then this is Evacuation in EI.

Less Serpents. One is ok, two is pushing it, three is getting dumb. Anyway, after the initial shock you can just employ that that delicate tactic know as swarm-the-big-b*****d and it becomes free XP.
Also, who was the genius who thought it would be funny to give the Naga leaders nearly unlimited gold? My statistics list says I have knocked off 55 Naga and 39 bats. And that's on Medium difficulty! As Jags said, considering Naga have only appeared in three scenarios, that is really overdoing it.
His suggestion about combining this and the previous scenario is certainly interesting, dunno if it could be done practically though.
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 9. Damn Sea monsters!! Damn Nagas!! Damn Islands!!
(3) Clear
(4) Nothing important for the storyline
(5) Those Sea monsters are strong
(6) 1. I HATE this scenario.
(7) Change everything...
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
Skyhunter

Post by Skyhunter »

(1) 1.3 normal
(2) Not much difficult, very little money is annoyning, at the middle i started killing my Merfs with no sucess, and endeed with no money
(3)
(4) Its ok
(5) Too much water opposed to land, too litle villages, cause u need at least some of your veteran units, and then after them a lot of swimmy little merfolks
(6)its ok
(7) More villages
thissneppah

Post by thissneppah »

I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to give you any decent feedback on the campaign as I save/load *way* too much (it’s like the dark arts whispering to me “I could make you kick everyone’s buttocks, you know you want that, go on, go on�, no idea how those Mages don’t all turn in to Dark Adapts).

Back on topic though, any reason why nobody tells you that you could use the oasis to heal your units? Or is that a bug (am I not meant to get healed by the oasis)? I’ve played the campaign on the 1.2.3 version of Wesnoth, if it helps. Good campaign by the way.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 7
3) Clear
4) Good
5)
Finishing with positive gold. Perhaps the map is intended to exhaust the player's gold - it's hard to imagine a practical solution to this level that doesn't involve recruiting a lot of mermen, and you are going to control at most 3 villages during most of the actual fighting.

Inability to bring healers up (at any reasonable pace with reasonable safety) to where the action is makes it very slow to make progress in this level, and makes it hard to get much of an early exit bonus, as you keep having to run mermen back for healing, shielding them while healing, etc etc.

Have to agree with at least one other poster, the RNG is a serious opponent on this level.

Since you start with a group of troops that are not mermen, and are therefore very limited in their utility, but you lack the money to simply leave them at home & use mermen instead, you end up tied to a very defensive formation around some island with your land troops on it.

Also, having to avoid triggering the sea serpent in the south-east (since killing it is only possible by risking having a lot of very injured mermen standing within reach of the enemy castle, which is asking for a slaughter) severely limits the player's ability to move mermen from the SE to the fight in the centre.

6) 3 - I like the idea and feel that it should be interesting; but I can't enjoy a level where I'm bogged down & bleeding 15 gp per turn.

7) I'm not sure how easy it is to kill the SE leader before the worst of the enemies from the north arrive; hard, I guess, because you only have 4 recruiting tiles. If it were made easier to kill the SE leader early, plus maybe an extra village or two that could be held during the main fight, this would be more tactical and less of a cash-bleeding slog.
Isen

Post by Isen »

1.2.3, Hard

Clear

Seems like every voyage EVER gets battered by a storm and is forced to some undiscovered island.

Nothing in particular, really. Storm the SE naga by turn 3/4, and then fight north through the droves of reinforcements. Losses (that matter) can be minimised greatly by using level one units as bait.

A slightly larger map, vertically, with more and larger (marginally) islands. This will allow for some tactical island hoping rather than slogging mermen at the enemy.
zigomar

Post by zigomar »

Link :
http://raymond.ostertag.free.fr/wesnoth ... of_Wesnoth
Start gold: 710 Level 3: 11 Level 2: 11
End gold: 566 Level 3: 12 Level 2: 12

1.2.6 NORMAL

Very clear

No comment

Kill the leader at the right as soon as possible.
Be patient, prevent bats attacks and not losing advanced units in the sea.

The leader at the left side not so far, making a different flood of ennemies attacks.
smenze

Post by smenze »

i started on 1.2.6 but am now on 1.4. i usually try them on on the middle (normal i believe).
about an 8.
its straight forward on that point.
dialogue was clear and interesting enough i have played it mutlitple times, but that goes for the whole campaign.
depends on which time i played, but it was either me being conservative and healing my units (since the healers are so slow in water) so time or not completely depleting my gold supply by just recruiting alot of merman and foddering with them.
1. i hate island jumping scenarios in every game. they are a hassle.
to follow the sentiment of others, no reason not to merge it with the drakes scenario or just get rid of it (i hate island hops). also, enabling the iniate merman (which can heal on the level up) would make it a slight bit less annoying. the sheer number of nagas makes it pretty difficult, but allowing them bats with the larger movement rate is truly the suck as well. oh and one last thing, lower the hex area the sea serpents can spawn in. if you are unwilling to save/load until you get a favorable spawn, the sea serpents can drill your merfolk in a hurry.
sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

Normal, 1.6

Very clear.

The dialogue is OK, but there isn't a story here.

Sea monsters. They really are overpowered, its an almost certain reload when you hit them the first time. This is another scenario where I had to try several times to get through, as it wasn't obvious to start with that I'd need so many troops. I confess I don't much enjoy replaying scenarios, and it's hard to see how you can get through this one at the first attempt with no prior knowledge.

Provide more of a storyline for being here, leave out the sea monsters (or at least include them in the story, so you know to watch out for them), and cut down on the flood of enemy troops (or again, some sort of warning that you will be facing large numbers of vicious nagas - the opposing keeps are very small, I'd assumed there weren't many occupants...)
silent

Post by silent »

Medium 1.6
9 were it not for mages and the merman hoplite with storm trident
:roll:
:annoyed:
-I forgot about serpent no. 3 when sending my silver mage across the reef to the north eastern naga leader
-Nearly getting minister edmond killed
-Replaying a turn to have my mage hit a target (at least 2-3 times)
:annoyed:
None. My advice would be recruit to the point where you're losing 10g a turn, and recruit after the loss of a merman. Ignore the guide's advice on this one, as wesfolk are a terrible choice due to blade vulnerability and the defence only marginally better. This level is a good example of why a silver mage is a great idea. (That and so many other levels), and MoL (minister edmond) due to illumination and healing (Why you'd go via the midlands is beyond me)
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hard 1.6.0

I came in with 444 gold.

4- Not too difficult. A pair of silver mages helped out a lot.

I triggered the serpants mostly during the day; the one was taken out by a merman swarm with Haldric's leadership, the second by Burin in the shallow water (again, during the day; the serpant never stood a chance), and the third I caught between a Merman Hopilite w/Storm Trident and a Merman Triton.

I ended up losing a Merman Triton, but didn't care. Merman aren't essential to the campaign. :)

Clear.

All right. A good excuse to get some a good merman scenario.

Recruiting enough merfolk. I tend to forget that just because the enemy recruits two at a time doesn’t mean he has less gold than usual.

7- Some good fun. Some useful mermen, and it is fun to go Island hopping with Silver Mages.

Also, this is the merman map. Most maps either are so exclusively land that merman are minimally useful, or half land/half water; with the water being this huge expanse off to the side. This one mixed them up some; making both unit types useful (though the mermen are naturally much more so).

I can't think of any that could currently be implemented. Good fun all round.

However, I do keep thinking that there needs to be another water terrain type or two to make water battles more interesting (submerged weeds? Breakers?). Either that, or make the merfolk more viable on land.

Also, if more terrain gets implemented, make some resistance differences between nagas and merfolk.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal)

3 – difficult? No. Annoying? Frustrating? YES to both!

Clear

Good.

Those serpents were an extremely unpleasant tomato surprise – each one made me reload a number of times because:
- they appear on random locations, and some locations were much more favorable for me than others
- their high damage means that if you are unlucky you could lose several units to each one before you manage to kill it

1 – Fun? What fun?

At least give some sort of warning about the serpents.

Apart from that it is fine as it is if you have a few leveled mermen. But if you don’t it is frustrating (unless you’re really lucky with your attacks). Maybe allow the player to recruit mermen hunters too?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
As I mentioned above the serpents made me reload quite a few times.

With the exception of Lord Typhon I had no mermen – I had previously recruited exactly ONE, and he had 0 exp, so he was not worth recalling. So I had to use almost entirely level 1 mermen, and I found this scenario extremely slow, annoying and frustrating. There are few healing spots and non-mermen are almost useless – the dwarf and the rest of my loyal units helped a bit with killing the SE enemy and two of the serpents, but apart from that they did nothing. It was mermen against bats and nagas (and the serpents). However nagas are better on land and have 4 strikes, so they managed to hit me more often than I managed to hit them. As a result too much depended on luck even after I managed to level up a few mermen.

At first the scenario seemed fun, but after I encountered the first serpent and as my mermen kept missing, and missing, and missing, the whole thing got really boring and frustrating.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...