The Rise of Wesnoth 14 - Rough Landing

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fenny

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Rough Landing

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 4, i use white mages or a paladin to get the heath of my injured mermen back
3) clear
4) ok
5) wake the serpents with enough units around to beat them quickly
6) 6, it's nice to have a fight in water
7) nothing, i like it
8 ) no
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Lord (challenging/hardest); 1.9.3; 228 starting gold (minimum is 200)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The eastern leader needs to be knocked out quickly and you have to set up a line to face the Nagas coming from the north, and it's hard to realize just how quick you have to be without losing at least once.

The high defense of the Nagas in water reminds me of fighting assassins, where the best laid plans can go awry. Miss a couple of 80% kills, and suddenly your planned line is unattainable and some of your units are in jeopardy.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
9, though hindered by an anticlimatic finish.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe trigger the Serpents when the player moves a unit beyond about the halfway point, possibly all at once, spaced across the northern edge. Make it one Serpent on easy, two on medium, and three on hard. On hard, the initial combat is challenging enough with the Nagas, and delaying the Serpents would spice up the endgame.

(8) Restarts?
Yes, I lost a couple of times, restarting from start. No save-reloads in whole campaign, though.

(9) WML?
There are three comments, good job.

(10) Replay?
Attached. I think this is my favorite replay of all time. A raw recruit Peasant advanced to Royal Guard and he wasn't even intelligent! He killed all three Sea Serpents, plus five Nagas. I posted about it in the thread From rags to riches: amazing advancements. Also, I think I did a good job of setting up a line and promoting other units.
Attachments
TRoW-Rough_Landing_replay.gz
(68.02 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord (Challenging), 1.10.0, about 370

6 or 7. This must be rough without levelled merfolk and minimal gold.

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Not entirely convincing.

Not losing the loyal hunter. Serpents. Anyway it is amazing that mere 4 L1 per turn can produce such a pressure when on their favorite terrain.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Slightly longer map would help.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Challenging) 1.10.3
453 starting gold, enemies: 230/230/230
Finished turn 19/29

5. I won this on the first attempt, so my replay is not too good (did not do a good job with the lady, maybe I recalled to many ground units instead of merfolk and maybe it took too long until I killed the southeastern leader).

Clear

I think it doesn’t concern the storyline and is completely irrelevant. But it makes a good transition to let the long and mysterious journey to the east happen in two scenarios instead of simply telling about it between two consecutive scenarios. I appreciate that even though I don’t like both scenarios too much.

You have to recall modestly because of the few villages.

6. After killing the southeast leader you will then make a stand against the troops from the two northern leaders that arrive in the meantime. Once they are beaten it’s a long boring march to the north.

Maybe some naga reinforcements in the midgame like a returning patrol or some hidden enemies on the small islands. Or even some imprisoned mermen (maybe lvl-2), that can be rescued (like in HttT). In fact some players might not have used the two scenarios before to get enough lvl-2 mermen. In that case this scenario gets a lot harder and players might get frustrated cause they have to replay the former scenario/s. With additional mermen to rescue even map size enlargement is possible.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
(60.3 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.15, 306 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? 6.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? I loved the part about the Naga wanting metal from ships. Makes sense.
(5) Challenges? I was fighting two sea serpents at the same time as Naga, so that was stressful.
(6) Fun? 7, a good scenario that is hampered by an anti-climatic finish.
(7) Changes? Time pressure would force the player to take risks towards the end.

Replay not attached, because it is corrupt. It says, "illegal recall: unit id 'Sea Serpent-863' could not be found within the recall list." The southern Naga recalled the first Sea Serpent in his castle, which causes the error, whereas the other two Sea Serpents appear in open water. The first Sea Serpent didn't get a text intro like the later two serpents. Why not just handle the first serpent exactly like the later two serpents?
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

The serpents are in fact handled identically, I'm pretty sure it's caused by a bug: The serpent was accidentally placed on a recall list instead of the map, and the Naga recruit it from there.

A similar bug has already been fixed for the next release, but I think that it won't fix the issue in this scenario... well, we'll have to apply the same fix I guess.
Theron

Post by Theron »

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.15

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
14 200+145 19/29 6-12-2-4-70

Comments:
Several replays were needed to get a not-buggy version (bug: spawning of a sea serpent on a recall list) and not to do stupid actions.
Again: Silver Mages proved to be very useful.
Attachments
TRoW-Rough_Landing_replay_HARD.gz
(84.09 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / Challenging, 375 gold. Had a few l2 merfolk already + 2 silver mages + plenty of recruits. It went smoothly and I finished very early, yet no carry over due to high upkeep, low village count.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal, 480 starting gold

4 because of the sea serpents

Clear

An interesting intermission.

Surviving initial attacks from the serpents and then hoping the netcasters land a hit each turn.

Dealing with the nagas wasn't too bad since I had several leveled mermen and could recruit a big enough line to keep them managed.

There isn't much for the knight and Burin to do besides slog around in the water. It might be interesting to let the player use their boat to move a small number of units around? (I seem to recall a scenario in Black-Eye where boats move three enemy units across a river.) Maybe have a larger island somewhere for Burin and the Knight to go explore with something interesting in the middle, guarded of course by something nasty.
Attachments
(84.9 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6
Attachments
(58.73 KiB) Downloaded 670 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
LordWolfDan

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 14 - Rough Landing

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear

- Okay as it is, discovering the lands unknown in the ocean is interesting. Sea serpents really got me off the guard

- Fighitng off nagas with my mermen as they could get in their favorable defensive positions

- More villages would do
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.5, Hard

Clear, beat them up.

Not much of a dialog there, but there was no reason for more. So it's good.

Winning without bruteforcing it by recalling everything I had.

Fix the Sea Serpent event.
Attachments
TRoW-Rough Landing replay.gz
(46.95 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.

8/10 at the beginning. This was a little unexpected, I had more gold than the 3 enemy leaders combined, but there were some dicey moments in the middle nevertheless.

Perfectly clear. Another straightforward slugfest.

So the merfolk and nagas don't seem to be friends. Fair enough.
The line "Look out, a serpent has emerged from the deep" got a little repetitive though. There was one in the previous scenario, and now we have more?

The main initial attack hits us at night, and there is an amazing amount of RNG in naga versus merman fighter combat. Holding the line with lots of fresh merman fighter recruits causes some anxiety, but thankfully netcasters are amazing, backed up by healers (water or not, we always need healers).

The sea serpents were actually quite manageable by dint of our sheer numbers of raw recruits to ZOC with and to expend. Since I was so negative in gold at the end, I took the turns to farm xp instead, ending with lots of levelled merfolk.

6/10. It's a merfolk scenario and all, but... quite a plain one without the initiate line, and it's over once the initial rush is over. I guess Dead Water is too good a campaign.

On the dialogue side, give a bit more variety to the sea serpent appearances. For example, "What, another one?" (actually, that was my reaction).

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
TRoW-Rough Landing replay 20210628-022037.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(60.88 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.1, Lord (Difficult)

5, because I recalled a lot.

Clear.

Clear.

Neutralizing the Sea Serpents so they won't be able to deal dangerous damage.

7, you get to use your merfolk for real.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-Rough Landing replay 20211119-171404.gz
(45.18 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1) 1.16.5 intermediate

(2) 7 - it really depends on how many leveled Mermen one has. Also, on where the Sea Serpents appear - if they appear near a wounded character you're toast.

(3) clear

(4) A bit poor; Since there are only three Serpents, their messages could be less repetitive. The mermens don't get to speak while this is their time to shine.

(5) Avoiding getting gang-mugged by the fast Nagas that can easily encircle an important unit.

(6) 8 - I quite liked it actually, it was quite a different challenge. Maybe 7 due to the randomness of Sea Serpents apparition that can wreck a good strategy if they appear too close.

(7) Make the Serpents appear only on the further positions from the starting base. Death because the Random Number Gods have cursed you is never fun.
Also add a couple villages in the water so as to vary possible strategies.
A very small addition of land hexes would allow for your land units to have more use (I'm not advocating for a huge change like some here, but a little bit more would be nice).