The Rise of Wesnoth 12 - A Final Spring

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 12 - A Final Spring

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. hard 112a
2. 6 the land leaders were easy, the naga one however...
3. kill enemy leaders, clear as day, although it should say that losing the Merman leader results in losing as well. It doesn't mention that, and losing him does equal losing.
4. clear and interesting enough
5. That damn orc on the island. I swear in the 20 something turns I played, he never stopped recruiting more and more. I ended up losing at least a dozen, no exaggeration, mermen trying to get to him. In the end, all my mermen were pretty much annilhilated, didn't get a single one to level 2 because it was such an ongoing battle.
6. 8, but only because the previous one felt so awful in comparison.
7. the island orc being so strong isn't really that much of a problem, i just needed to recruit 12+ mermen all at once, rather than getting them 4 at a time and then running back to recruit more when I realized that purple's naga were constantly being replenished.

Non-level 1 unit casualties:
None, the land orcs were practically free EXP. Did lose a lot of fodder, including a full dozen mermen.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy, 1.1.2a

6/10, once again it wasn't very difficult, just tedious.

Kill enemies, clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
How did the Orc get on that Island... Good clear.

Orc on the island, kept regenrating in villages, and didn't have enough mermen. Lord Typhon kept dying.

5/10, It could be better but for a defense scenario, too tedious.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Not an Orcish Warlord on the Island... Nagini Warrior maybe.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: A Final Spring

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty, version 1.1.2a

7/10, mostly because of my no-casualties style. Without that it would have been 5/10.

OK, except it doesn't say anywhere that you have to protect Lord Typhon. When I lost him I was surprised that it turned out to be an instant lose.

Hmm, the dialog was as good as ever. The storyline seemed a little...crowded. Too much stuff in too little time: first there is all the introduction stuff, which is fine. Then the Lich turns up, which is fine. Then the Death Knight/Fool Prince comes along, which is starting to push it. Then Lord Typhon makes his enterence and Jessica says her piece, which I think is a bit much.

WolfRiders and Goblin Knights, never again shall I underestimate them. On the first try they completely shredded my lines at night, then bypassed my heavy units and ripped into the weak and wounded. It was actually kinda cool, in a way.
The Orc on the Island was surprisingly hard. I managed to avoid Merman casualties by marching Haldric into the water for his leadership.

I give it a 7, but it certainly had its drawbacks and the sea battle was frustrating at times..

I think Typhon should come with a couple of loyal (as in the trait) Mermen. It would be cool if he came with a Fighter and a Mermaid Initiate (but only give you fighters to recruit). This would also make the sea battle against the naga a little more interesting.
As I mentioned, the dialog is a bit overloaded. Perhaps Jessica could say her piece about being navigator in an earlier scenario, and maybe briefly mention Lord Typhon so his entry doesn't seem quite so contrived.
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 8. It's a big battle
(3) Clear. Kill the Orcs
(4) I like when Jevyan arrives with the King's Son. Very nice
(5) Killing the orc in the island... how did he reach there without being seen?!
(6) 10. Because it's a very big battle and you finally meet Jevyan.
(7) Nothing.
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
Skyhunter

Post by Skyhunter »

1.3 meduim

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 3
3 , i found this map one of the easiest in the campaign. Except first and third scenario. the only slight problem was capturing the island at the begining,

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5

south orc base should be a little harder to
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 8
3) Clear
4) Excellent, although there is almost too much going on to really take it all in.
5)
The sea orc is a tough nut to crack. I underestimated the troops required (you don't know how long he can recruit for), and ended up recruiting extra mermen one or two per turn to keep pace with the fight. I must have recruited 12-15 mermen, and lost half of them before the fight was done (only swung the fight my way by sending two L3 mages over to the islands to help heal and tackle the enemy boss). The enemy bats are extremely effective at picking off injured mermen.

Meanwhile, on land, I had also underrecruited a bit; I sent a force southeast, but had only scraps left to prop up the centre; too many troops were recruited to block the nagas, and I'd started recruiting before I knew the mermen would turn up. I was relying on the ally to hold the enemy up in the centre - which works, but meant the battle spread haphazardly over the town, and the undead in particular had killed most of the allied troops before I could reinforce them.

The orc north of the river was not easy either; having control of so many villages, he could supply a steady stream of reinforcements & had plenty of troops by the time I was ready to attack him.

6) 6 - a good fight, but frustrating at times.
7) -
8 ) start gold 678
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

Hard, 1.3.2
very clear, kill every enemy leader
very
The damned Orc on the small island, he recruit too many naga, and i start attacking him near turn 24/33. I just beat him because luckly i had a Silver Mage that did the job... then, i realized that at turn 31 the last leader were still alive, so i had to use the silver mage again to beat the last one, at turn 33.
Lord Thyphon could take three or more mermen along when he appeared, so one can start to slow the orc in the island action and focus on recruit land units to take care of the orcs and undead.
Isen

Post by Isen »

1.2.3, Hard

6. As many have said, it's easy minus the naga.

Clear. Although the amount of units I had to keep alive got confusing.

"His older brother was more attractive" <3 Jessica.

Guess I should have guessed I was going to get mermen, but I didn't, so instead tasked taking out that Orc to the Lady Jessica and her army of bandits. To my surprise, however, it turned out trappers and poachers can only wade one square per turn and thus couldn't keep up. That, combined with the lack of high level units in the army (One assassin, to memory) meant they were slaughtered, prompting a quick restart. Even then, however, the naga ruthlessly slaughtered my mermen in droves, even with Haldric and Jessica there to inspire them. Eventually when a Mage of Light returned from crushing the southern orc I was able to force a crossing with the combined illumination+leadership bonuses.

The southern orc is a bit retarted. The ground shakes under the hooves of my grand knights, and he sends all his units around the other side of the mountain to attack Southbay. As a result their headquarters was quickly laid to waste and the main force was caught between the hammer of the knights and the anvil of Southbay.
zigomar

Post by zigomar »

Link :
http://raymond.ostertag.free.fr/wesnoth ... of_Wesnoth
Start gold : 364 Level 3 : 7 Level 2 : 10
End gold : 710 Level 3 : 11 Level 2 : 11

1.2.6 NORMAL

Lot of ennemies in a very short space but with enough start gold you can first sacrifice weak units and then finish the level with advanced units.

Very clear

Very simple

How many weak and advanced units do I have to recruit ?
Making more advanced units
Try to avoid the fight against sea serpent

Two sea serpents.
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

1.3.16 Medium
2. Opposition is at most as hard as Clearwater, while I got a lot of 3 level units already.
Clear
Clear and interesting. Though Zhukov have a point here.
Well, nothing to call "challenge". After repelling first big attack on east walls, it was over.
6. Nothing special, but not boring and I had some interesting moments.
It's ok as it is. May be throw in some mermaid initiate/priestess. I had to wade to island with one of my Mages of Light :)
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal)

Clear

Good. The undead were a nice (unpleasant) surprise.

The Nagas. I thought the undead would cause me more problems than they did, but the Nagas… By the time that merman arrived I was out of gold and could not recruit any mermen. I also had no Silver mages so I had to fight the nagas before going to the island to fight Black.

1) Mermen – by the time the Merman lord arrived I was out of gold and thus unable to recruit any Mermen. This made them pretty useless and also increased the difficulty of the sea fight. Either have the lord arrive accompanied by some more mermen, or have him bring some gold to the player (for example, as advance payment for future services)
2) Give some hint (either earlier in this scenario, or in a previous one) that there might be other people arriving. The Lich (and his undead) and the Merman came out of nowhere, and while the sudden arrival of the former is fine as it is the latter is a major event that totally changes the strategy for fighting Black – IF you have any gold left by that time.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Losing the merman due to bad positioning and/or bad luck.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
fenny

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 5, depends on amount of gold
3) clear
4) good, i like the father-son-undead story
5) be aware of the bats, they tend to attack wounded units in villages
6) 8, it's a great large map with plenty of possibilities, and i like fighting with an ally
7) bring lord typhon in turn 2 or 3, so you can recruit mermen early, or give some hint that you should spare some money
8 ) lord typhon was killed by accident
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Lord (challenging/hardest); 1.9.3; 383 starting gold. I modified the WML to use the full recruitment list as specified, and it worked for the north orc, but I think not the south orc.

Clear.

Excellent.

There are basically four fronts: the walled city, the island, the southeast plain, and the bay/peninsula north of the keep. If any one front fails (except maybe the southeast), all is lost. A naval assault by Wolf Riders onto the peninsula got me once, and another time I lost due to the undead attacking the city. And another time the island campaign went so badly (loss of Silver Mage and most Mermen) that I restarted from start.

9. It was intense. There was no boring mop up, as the ending was a race to the last leader. I would have been miffed if I had been too late after fighting such a long, tough battle, but I killed the last leader with one turn to spare. Even my Mermen chipped in, doing a banzai charge across the open plains.

Great as is. Could make it a tad easier on hard. When undead flag villages, they give it a black flag, which is the flag color of the island orc. This results in an overwhelming number of Nagas. Is this what you intended? It's a bit too sneaky. I'd say start one stray bat on that side of the board, if you want to boost the island orc's income.

(8) Restarts?
Yes, several restarts from start, but no save-reloads in whole campaign.

(9) WML?
There are two comments. One mentions "time areas". What are time areas?

(10) Replay?
Attached.

Some notes:
  • I recruited a few peasants, and they proved fairly useful. One peasant survived an attack on a single turn from a Death Knight, a Necrophage, and a Bone Shooter. I renamed him Toughman at the end of the scenario. He only got half way to leveling, but maybe I will recall him anyway when I have a lot of extra cash.
  • There were some other bits of luck here and there. My loyal Grand Knight could have died more than once, and my Silver Mage, who was already wounded, survived an attack on open ground from the island boss (who was not slowed that turn - the Netcaster had missed.)
  • I had planned a calvary sweep to the southeast, but the initial two Knights had to withdraw after my ally surprisingly sent no troops that direction. I decided to devote my money to Mermen instead of the planned additional Knights.
  • I devoted a lot of resources to the island campaign, and it still almost got away from me, but in one daytime turn I was able to turn the tide with a lot of kills. Lots of leveling here, including the loyal units. The two Netcasters will probably come in handy.
Attachments
TRoW-A_Final_Spring_replay.gz
(107.79 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
sv75

Post by sv75 »

(1) 1.9.2, hard

(7) Undead side starts itsr first turn by occupying some nearby villages. It is rather stupid AI idea: this side has no castle to summon units so it does not need any gold. It could be great to prevent such strange AI behaviour.