The Rise of Wesnoth 12 - A Final Spring

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: A Final Spring

Post by taptap »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

Lord (Challenging), 1.10.0 (372 gold)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Dialog and story of this campaign are in general good. Details such as the sewer entrance really add to the fun.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Manipulating AI leader to be useful (changed his objectives every turn for him to go north, east, southwest so his troops more or less stay in the city) - defensive behaviour doesn't do the same. Turned out fine, one AI swordsman even levelled and survived!

Limiting losses in the east.

I recalled two silver mages and two rangers (only 2 movement cost + 40% defence in water) on turn 1 + reinforced them with mermen later so there was never a problem with the southwestern leader, the only place that was potentially in danger was the east, but AI helped, peasants distracted and main damage dealers (2 Iron maulers, Burin, Helbardier) did overall a good job. Concentrated on levelling merfolk and getting a second horseman levelled up (my recall list is a little non-standard).

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

6 - it was a little too easy for such a big battle. Got a big bonus.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Give all AI leaders a serious base income (the allied one too), Fate of a Princess does this with good results. Recruit some pillagers. Recruit some L1 (more mass for the same money = more pressure).

Replay is corrupted at around turn 7 (hex already occupied).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Challenging) 1.10.3
333 starting gold (ally: 120), enemies: 290/290/260
Finished turn 23/33

You are able to recruit mermen by turn 5 (the walkthrough says turn 6).

6. And the difficulty mainly results from the island orc. “Until reinforced by mermen it’s silver mages and footpads/outlaws/fugitives (only 2mp in shallow water and 40% defense) you will send here” – that is what the wiki says. But taptap correctly adds, that rangers share these capabilities.
I think this scenario is designed to be played more than once, because you wouldn’t spare your gold for recruiting mermen until round 5, because you will hurry to the island and also provide the others fronts with troops – at least that happened to me.

I replayed this only once, so my successful attempt is still full of mistakes. At the southeastern front I played too aggressively (should have retreated at turn 11) and again I underestimated the leaders (both southeastern and island leader) willingness to leave their keep (at least at night) not being concerned about jumping into the water nor attacking an enemy who sits in a village. I could have possibly lost a silver mage or even Haldric himself – but both of them survived and I didn’t replay.

Even though it might be 4 fronts/battle places it’s mainly 3 armies that you will recall/recruit. First is the undead killer team with the loyal IM, Burin, Sir Ruddry (if you promoted him to paladin) and MoL/white mages to hold the city against the undead in the east. Here you might add some chaotic impact dealing units to distribute some xp. This group will at first hold against the undead to the east and later against the orcs from the north.
Second is the island team with silver mages, Lady Jessene, outlaws and later on the recruited mermen. They will do nothing else than taking care of the island.
And third is a mixed team that you send south to steal some kills, while your ally wastes himself against the southeastern orc. Any mounted unit in this team can help out against the northern orc, especially when they try to cross the water in the west, where the 3 loyal mermen shall guard the two passages.

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
In Southbay in Winter Lady Jessene says: “You must head east because my people came from the west, which is teeming with every form of enemy and monster imaginable.” Does this mean the orcs too? If so, did they sail from the west to Haldric’s island?

Not to over recruit due to the many fronts and big map and spare some gold until being able to recruit mermen.

9-10. I really like maps with several fronts.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It happened again that some of the enemy’s fast units (goblin knights, chocobones) ran senseless back and forth without joining the attack. Also there was a poisoned swordsman who stood still instead of searching a village.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, the first time I was out of gold when I was able to recruit mermen.
Attachments
TRoW-A_Final_Spring_replay.gz
(77.79 KiB) Downloaded 838 times
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

This scenario has a lot of potential, but it loses me a bit with the orc on an island recruiting nagas and bats- that's kind of a weird, annoying element. I feel adding some connecting land in terms on narrow shallow paths, and allowing the orc to recruit wolves as well, could be more interesting. Currently that orc is like an annoying day at work. As an overall, this campaign has been really solid up to this point, this scenario is strictly labor, including the north guy. Great concept, but I think the map could be improved quite a bit. Perhaps make it smaller, tighter, and a bit more intense :hmm:

BTW, oooh, I can recruit merman now, they will be useful somewhere maybe! No really I love merman, they miss as much as dwarves but with less damage! :lol2:
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.15, 384 starting gold, finally L3 Lady Outlaw.
(2) Difficult? 6. Much easier than before. Are there less undead?
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? As everybody says, the water battle is the hardest front, but even it just requires patience.
(6) Fun? 7. This scenario used to be better.
(7) Changes? Try to change it back to the way it used to be. The main difference is that the undead get killed quickly now and also they don't flag many villages (since the southern orc gets them.) When the undead flag villages, they are black flags, which go to the island army to buy Nagas. I never really liked that quirk, but so long as they have the same flag as the islanders, they should grab more than a couple of villages. Another difference is probably the recruiting. The recruiting doesn't look too bad, but it's about a 50-50 ratio of L1's and L2's (with some L0's too for the northern orc), which is a little too L2 heavy. I suspect it would be more challenging with the first two rounds being nothing but L1's (and L0's.) You could change the recruiting to do that.
Attachments
(103.71 KiB) Downloaded 789 times
Theron

Post by Theron »

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.15

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
12 200+181 22/33 12-12-5-7-78

Comments:
Witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational … err … witness the power of a squad of silver mages:they distracted the sea orc leader long enough to bring in reinforcements: he died first having spent not all of his gold.
I was a bit impatient/careless with Haldric on turn 14: luckily he survived.
Attachments
TRoW-A_Final_Spring_replay_HARD.gz
(100.1 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / Challenging. 366 gold, recruited with an eye to upkeep and only few recalls. Main challenge was lack of a second silver mage, which combined with some bad luck led to severe losses on the island (ranger, outlaw in the water, six merfolk, one of which L2). Green only really arrived, once the undead squad + purple were almost defeated. Jessene led the main army, Haldric mostly recruited merfolk and gave a little support close to the keep. Overall quite easy, finished turn 24 w/ 282 carryover gold and a recall list even fuller of loyalist unit types.

Give undead recruitment option or give base income to all leaders (incl. ally)?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal

7. It's a bit tricky to get the balance between the three fronts sorted out. Once you do it's fairly straight forward.

Clear.

It's getting a bit complicated with all the twists and turns, but entertaining.

The main thing is to hold the bridge and be patient in the islands. I only had one silver mage to start and no quick white mages (how did that happen?) so the island was slow going. Even once the mermen arrive, they are slow and steady against nagas and bats. The eastern front isn't as scary as it looks - the ally does a lot of work there for you. The bridge is a typical "hold off the initial assault and then crush with counterstrike" and the initial assault isn't very scary since it doesn't involve very many troops. I used a few peasants to hold the peninsula from occasional wolves, bats, and nagas. I could have used the loyal mermen better - I figured out too late the L1s were really too weak for the bridge battle and should have been sent to the islands, while the L2 leader was tough enough to fill a key position next to the bridge.

I had two restarts. I might have recovered from both, but I had key loses and was in bad enough shape I threw in the towel and started over.

First time I was too aggressive on the islands, not waiting for the mermen and trying to push with my silver mage and a couple footpads. I ended up losing my silver mage by getting ZOC-locked by bats.

Second time my ally's troops, which I thought were static, decided to run off from their posts in the city into battle at an inopportune moment leaving my red mage with nothing but a handkerchief between him and a charging chocobone. (The turn order of you-ally-enemy has its risks.)

8. I like both the three fronts, each with its own feel, and the islands, which is a bit of a new situation.

The undead being under the sea orc leader is odd. What about making the undead a leader in its own right with a camp and small amount of income? This would bump up the eastern front a bit but not make it overwhelming.

The ally always seems to send his troops off to the east ignoring the northern orc. This is probably actually helpful, but not logical. Maybe have some static ally troops around the bridge and pull the northern orc closer? The troops holding off the northern orc would give the player time to set up defense while adding some drama to the early rounds (which are a bit of a slow unfolding right now).
Attachments
(105.02 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6
Attachments
(79.53 KiB) Downloaded 579 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
LordWolfDan

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 12 - A Final Spring

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear

- Very good. Thew revelation of Jevyan and undead son was a good touch. Jessene's comment on the son's looks were amusing. I start to like Jessene better and better! That king in the port is one brave man to honor

- Getting rid of that orc on the island. Turns out that one silver mage and mermen ain't enough

- Have the ability to recruit mermaid initiates.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.5, Hard

Clear, beat everyone up.

Clear and interesting. Nice jab by Jessene at the Foolish Prince.

Dealing with the southern Orcs, because there was no convenient river to defend.

-
Attachments
TRoW-A Final Spring replay.gz
(66.01 KiB) Downloaded 575 times
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.

6/10. It seemed difficult on paper, but between King Addroran's troops soaking damage for us the first night and the orcs coming in piecemeal, the south orcs were manageable and the north orcs could be held at the bridge without too much trouble.

Perfectly clear.

A few months gives some time for characters to progress and develop a little. It's nice that they get some time instead of just flying from battle to battle.
Solid dialogue writing for all the characters. Also Jessene, "His older brother was more attractive"? That burns more than Haldric's little fire trick did.

Trying to judge how hard the orcs are. On paper, they have good amounts of gold, and our terrain isn't as great as Clearwater Port, but this time there is a chokepoint for the north orc at the bridge (and another at the shallow water crossing), and the southwestern leader... well, no sea orcs in sight, and he only has 2 hexes of castle, so it shouldn't be too hard.

That said, how are we going to cross the water to meet them? (Turn 5: Oh. I see. Well that helps. I kept about 60 gold to decide if I needed more mages or more tanks, but I guess I know where the gold is going now.) Maybe I slightly overcommitted sending two healers with the mermen, but it worked out. White mages do work well in pairs. The extra unit might have helped approach the southeast orc leader earlier with zero risk, which was complicated by the mountain terrain.

8/10. Another huge battle after Clearwater Port, and one where we can actually get to the orcish leaders in time. The little signposts all around the map also help build the world. This campaign is full of good challenging battles that require some thought and present an actual risk of failure - and are essential to the plot, too.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No. I almost lost the last loyal Iron Mauler at one point, but it wouldn't have forced a restart.
Attachments
TRoW-A Final Spring replay 20210627-211947.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(89.56 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.1, Lord (Difficult)

6, because the map makes holding out against the green orcs easy.

Clear.

Clear.

Sending enough troops to deal with purple while holding off green.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-A Final Spring replay 20211115-145855.gz
(72.01 KiB) Downloaded 72 times