The Rise of Wesnoth 9 - Fallen Lich Point

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shadowblack

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Fallen Lich Point

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 – but see the notes at end

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The undead – killing them quickly without any loses proved challenging.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7 – I enjoyed it. The Yetis were a very nice touch.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Put a sign (not just a signpost) on the map that shows where the entrance to the sewer is. When I was examining the map at the start of the mission I didn’t realize that the mine I saw was actually the entrance.

More importantly, end the scenario when all enemies are dead. 5+ turns of just going to the entrance is boring (not to mention it decreases my gold bonus)

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Only my desire to keep some experienced level 1s alive

Notes on difficulty:
- I recalled only level 1s and 2s, and also recruited a few Footpads. If I had recalled some of my level 3s things would have been much easier
- one of the Yetis killed at least half of the Blue orc’s forces (or so it felt to me). The Green orc fared a bit better, but he too suffered some losses. If the orcs had not suffered such severe casualties and if they had not wasted so long against the yetis things would have been much more difficult

With a different recall/recruit list the difficulty could have been lower (or higher).
Attachments
TRoW-Нос_Поразеният_Лич_повторение.gz
(37.07 KiB) Downloaded 803 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
fenny

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 4, depends on the yetis
3) clear
4) ok
5) kill the lich in one turn, so that he can't recruit new units or kill one of my units
6) 7, the yeti dialog at start is funny
7) nothing
8 ) no
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Played it on 1.9.2, medium difficulty (the second one)
4. Avoiding the yetis and destroying the lich as quick as possible.
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear. Moderately interesting. I really like how the campaign author(s) gave the main characters all their own distinct personalities. It brings a lot to the campaign and makes it one of my favorites.
See 2 ^^ Mainly crushing the lich as fast as possible, before he has a chance to do much recruiting.
OVER 9000! I love those yetis. If they get lucky and the orcs don't recruit too many slayers they can take out the blue team entirely, and reduce the green team by about half. Saves me a lot of heartache later on. :mrgreen: This is my absolute favorite scenario in the whole campaign, possibly the only reason I keep replaying it. ;)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Any changes I would have made already were. They fixed the annoying tramping across the map to enter the sewer when everybody's been defeated.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to restart or reload the scenario?
Only once when I missed like eight times in a row with my mages.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Lord (challenging/hardest); 1.9.3; 241 starting gold

6-10, depending on Yetis. They can both die by turn 6, which leaves too many orcs to fight, or one or both can hang around until the end, which leaves at least one too many Yeti to fight, or the Yetis can nearly destroy the orcs and then die, which makes it easiest.

Clear. Would like the sewer to be labeled.

Okay. I got confused when Haldric and Lady Jessene were carrying on two parallel conversations at once. Might be better to split it into once sentence at a time, around the "pep talk" line.

The aforementioned high variance of the Yetis was my biggest problem.

Another problem was that the orcs recruit only level 2's (though not Pillagers, I think), even after I tried to fix it to use the full recruit list.

Fix recruitment and eliminate assassins/slayers, to reduce the variance of the Yeti result.

(8) Restarts?
Yes, restarted from start a few times, but no save-reloads. I did win the first time, but a Yeti took out Knight Sir Whatshisface on the last turn, so I replayed.

(9) WML?
There are two comments, a record for this campaign. Could use more. Could comment about petrified undead.

(10) Replay?
Attached. In this replay, the Yetis dessimate the orcs and then die, so this lets me have a fairly crushing victory, killing the lich and then both orc leaders by turn 24 of 33.
Attachments
TRoW-Fallen_Lich_Point_replay.gz
(49.12 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

This went pretty odd for me. The second Yeti (the first died soon) single handedly defeated the western orcs (sitting on a village + AMLA), however the eastern orcs run towards me without bothering about their fellow orcs. As I (greedy as I am) already migrated towards the Lich I was shortly sandwiched between the Lich and the orcs for some turns.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Challenging) 1.10.3
352 starting gold, enemies: 290/290/190
Finished turn 24/33

6. The main task is not to lose a veteran. This is especially difficult if one or both yetis survive. I got lucky when a yeti attacked my MoL and only hit once.

Clear

Clear

The two yetis. You need to surround them to kill them, but that is difficult due to the limited mobility on ice.

7. I had to waste several turns while getting closer to the yeti and waiting for a favourable time of day.

The western orcish leader was stupid enough to jump on ice to shoot his arrows at the yeti who was located in a village. He died on the following attack of the yeti before having spent all his gold (98 gold was left).
Due to playing on hard difficulty it seems to be ok to have to deal with both yetis. But the orcish behavior looks really halfass. They should decide whether to attack the yetis with full power or completely ignore them.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I restarted to find out, if I was just unlucky to have both of the yetis surviving and blocking my way to the sewer. But the yetis both survived again, because they were smart enough to heal in villages after being poisoned.
Attachments
(44.86 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.15, 325 starting gold, L2 Lady Outlaw.
(2) Difficult? 7 or 8.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Nitpicks:
I don't like when Lady Jessene says, "And he brought a friend." and then the second Yeti teleports in, whereas the first Yeti walked in. It would be better if the second Yeti walked in and then Lady Jessene gives her line.

I don't like where Lady Jessene says to Haldric, "Maybe you should get yourself over here," referring to the monolith. In the attached replay, she says it when she is far to the north, near the 4-hex lake. I think her location is the norm, since players will tend to village grab with her at the start. Change to "Maybe you should take a look."

(5) Challenges? I had to play this a few times. The first time, I ran out of time, one hex from the tunnel. Next time, both Yetis went to the western orc, which allowed the eastern orc to race down, so I was fighting orcs and the Lich at the same time and got stretched too thin. Another time, the Lich got lucky and killed my loyal Paladin. In the attached replay, the Yetis died on turns 6 and 7. That seems to be the normal result now, with the Yetis never hanging around very long. I won on turn 26/33 by killing both orc leaders.
(6) Fun? 9. It's a great scenario, with novel elements (petrified undead) and good play balance.
(7) Changes? The recruitment is fine now (as opposed to my older review.) The variance of the scenario seems lower, which is a good thing, IMO. The turns are set well. So basically, it seems perfect, except for my dialog nitpicks.
Attachments
(66.28 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
Theron

Post by Theron »

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.15

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
9 200+82 26/33 0-12-8-1-41

Comments:
Interesting: the Yetis are on the undead side and capture villages for the lich. Really? IMO they are just monsters.
Attachments
TRoW-Fallen_Lich_Point_replay_HARD.gz
(76.72 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / Challenging. Let us wake up another lich. For the lulz! Good scenario to level up horses. Silver mage very useful for map control.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Lord, Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS app ver 1.0.4. Ended on turn 15/33, Starting gold 206, Finishing gold -54, Carry over gold 224.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 9.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very clear. The signposts throughout this campaign have been helpful hints to point out locations.
The dialog and story are interesting. I like how the story is progressing.
Just one thing, when the Yeti said, "Rarlg - argh, a raul-ralrg!" the correct Yetish should be,
"Rarlg - a raul-ralrg, a argh, gar!" (Honest mistake).

I got a little bit confused when Lady Jessene said to Haldric, "get yourself over here!" She was up north and his group had just arrived at the monolith in the south. So we searched around her area for something, a gold box hidden under a tree or a message-in-a-bottle-of-holy-water floating in the lake or something. However the instructions on the monolith were very clear as to what should be done, so we just continued on our merry way.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenariyo?
Initially trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with the lich and his army...why did they just stand there with dumb looks on their faces...why didn't they flinch when we stabbed at them...why did our arrows bounce off them...why didn't they get mad when we made faces at them? :P Once it was determined that they were indeed frozen, we had to find a way to unfreeze them. (The thing is, they are actually much more pleasant being frozen.)

10++++ A very creative and memorable scenario! This and "Revenge" in Dead Waters are two of my favorite!

I enjoyed everything about it. Cruising in on a ship, seeing the illusive Yetis, finding a way to unfreeze the lichs, looking for an underground passage, getting some carry over gold, watching the orcs get walloped by the Abominable Snowman.

My strategy was to defeat the kings quickly and get some early finish bonus. I recalled 10 veterans, split into 3 groups, and hit the road running. Haldric, 2 MoLs and a Silver Mage went south with 2 Royal Guards, a Master Bowman and a Fugitive. Two Paladins defeated the NW leader. The dwarf, the Lady, and Sir Ruddry (a Grand Knight) defeated the NE leader. I recruited a little silver-haired Thief to capture villages. As soon as the lich was unfrozen, Haldric started back north towards the cave. The last king was defeated on turn 15, and I was happy to get some carry over gold. (My performance in the previous 2 scenarios is too embarrassing to talk about.)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Great as is!
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Hestelvar

Post by Hestelvar »

Easy. 1.13.4

5, because I over recruited.

More complicated than usual. I’m not complaining - anything other than deaf all enemies makes a nice change! However I misread it to mean Haldric had to enter the sewer even if I defeated the orcs and had the book, but this made no difference.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Very good. Enjoyed the interaction between Haldric and Jessene.
I second Maiklas3000 nitpicks.
I don't like when Lady Jessene says, "And he brought a friend." and then the second Yeti teleports in, whereas the first Yeti walked in. It would be better if the second Yeti walked in and then Lady Jessene gives her line.
I don't like where Lady Jessene says to Haldric, "Maybe you should get yourself over here," referring to the monolith. In the attached replay, she says it when she is far to the north, near the 4-hex lake. I think her location is the norm, since players will tend to village grab with her at the start. Change to "Maybe you should take a look."
None.

8, the Yeti’s make this a unique and unpredictable scenario.

(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Add dialogue when one of Hadric’s units comes within sight of the sewer entrance, similar to how it works with the monolith.

None.

Remarks
The Yeti’s are teamed with Lich-Lord Caror - he earns gold when they capture villages - if this is intentional shouldn’t they make some effort to protect him, rather than let my mages saunter up and char his bones?
Attachments
TRoW-Fallen_Lich_Point_replay_2.bz2
With Early Wesfolk Alliance
(32.87 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
TRoW-Fallen_Lich_Point_replay.bz2
Without Early Wesfolk Alliance
(33.01 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal

4, the only really tough part was killing the lich quickly.

I think the objectives were clear, figuring out how to accomplish them was a bit unclear through out, which makes for a interesting challenge. This is one time I regret reading the wiki as I have no idea how I would have approached this scenario cold.

I echo previous comments about not liking the second yeti teleporting in.

The yetis munged the west orc without a problem. As they were doing that I started merrily walking down to the lich and then realized the troops from the eastern orc were going to catch me from behind, so I turned around the tail end of my troops to fend them off. By the time that was done it was nightfall and I held off attaching the lich until dawn, which made me a little worried about time but it turned out OK. The last yeti died stuck outside the second orcs keep, which worked out fairly well for me - easy mop up of second orc.

It did take me two turns to kill the lich, but my grand knight absorbed the counterattack without issue.

In retrospect, I should have planned a small rear guard to hold off the orcs, which would have let me stay focused and probably finished it up a few turns earlier.

8. Fun watching the yetis and orcs fight it out. Awaking the undead was a nice twist. The terrain was annoying at times but added to the challenge.

Maybe have the second yeti appear a turn or two in to unfold things a little more slowly?

I can see how there are large swings of fate here with how the yeti and orc fight turns out, but it worked out well for me.

I admit I was hoping to try to take on a yeti. Maybe trigger the appearance of a third yeti at the western edge of the map with the death of the second yeti?
Attachments
(70.47 KiB) Downloaded 702 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6
Attachments
(49.56 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
LordWolfDan

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 9 - Fallen Lich Point

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Crystal clear

- Good and funny (I'm talking about "Oh my" moments)

- Trying not to be mauled by yetis

- It's good as it is
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 9 - Fallen Lich Point

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.5, Hard

Clear.

Enjoyable and clear.

Mopping up the Orcish Survivors after the Yeti attack while most of my unit were south to deal with the Lich.

-
Attachments
TRoW-Fallen Lich Point replay.gz
(44.65 KiB) Downloaded 554 times