The Rise of Wesnoth 9 - Fallen Lich Point

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Baerdahl

Post by Baerdahl »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

1.2.6 Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

yap, crystal

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

:D :lol:

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

were there any? I recruited 4 mages, recalled my archmage, silvermage, and 2 white mages and a footpad. Jessica and Lodric went capturing the villages in the south, footpad northeast. All mages+Haldric went killing the Lich - blown to dust in one round by sheer magical firepower - then recruited a castle of spearmen down there and moved to the sewer entrance. i met some orcish resitance but the majority was killed by Yetis and my Silvermage hopping around the villages. i did not bother killing the orc bosses because it would have taken another 5-6 round of only movement (do they give some bonusgold that would have paid for this?)

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

8 - Yetis ftw! it was a nice holiday, seeing the lovely lakes, a pity i didn't bring my sledge

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

nothing. its perfectly well the way it is
there is no problem if the yetis live long enough - or kill enough enemys as long as they live. the orcs run out of money quickly because they don't care for villages.
hedgewitch

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Fallen Lich Point

Post by hedgewitch »

1)playing at easy, v 1.4
2)challenging but not frustrating except for #3
3)all objectives were clear except location of sewer-was expecting an event after the lich defeat and thus had my two leaders in harm's way.
(Had to search this forum to find the sewer entrance--an obvious mineshaft building does not scream "sewer" to me...)
4) Dialogue and story were excellent, yetis were a plus
5) Gold reserves were extremely low for me, and confusion over objectives meant I sacrificed units for nothing.
6) Scenario was a nice change from the usual, and a good mixup from those preceding it. 8/10
7)Hint as to sewer location, for instance say in objectives, instead of "Move Haldric to the sewer entrance" saying "Move Haldric past the "Name of Orc leader"'s domain and enter the sewers"--or use a better icon for the entrance. The monolith to unfreeze the lich was done well, I thought, and made for a nice tactical battle.

All in all, a solid scenario with a few interesting twists. Quite fun.
Max

Post by Max »

medium, 1.4.1

clear enough

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
nice

the yetis actually wiped both camps^^ but on my first try one of them has level up (amla) and i couldn't beat him without loosing two of my veterans. so i restarted this scenario waiting in a safe distance to take over bevor the yeti levels...

2 - too easy...

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
i'm not sure if it's really part of the design that yetis are actually able to wipe out both leaders. maybe that's due to changed ai in 1.4 (where leaders focus on recruiting level2 units). maybe more l0/l1 units would finish the two beasts earlier?

replayed this scenario 10 times to see if i was lucky with the yetis. there's a 2 in 3 chance that they finish both leaders... maybe some tweaking is needed^^
jaimono

Post by jaimono »

Normal. 1.4.4 http://stats.wesnoth.org/?W_P=199229637 ... SION=1.4.4

10. I haven't been able to finish it.

Clear enough. I assumed that the sewer entry is the mine entry and it was confirmed when I read this forum. I've never been able to kill the Litch so I have never gone for the exit.

Very clear. Very interesting.

Everything is a challenge. I guess the Yetis have been made more weak since the previous posts 'cause now they get killed much earlier by the orcs. I've played this scenario about 20 times and the Yetis have never killed an orc lord.

All the orcs are level 2 and I only have 100 gold, I've tried with many unit combinations and so far I've only been able to kill the orc lords after wasting all the turns. First I killed the green lord then I went for the blue one, but after killing him the turns were over and I lost.

I've also tried to go for the Litch while the orcs are busy with the Yetis but, since it is so early in the game, I don't have enough or stronger units and they get annihilated by the undead. By the time the prince gets to the monolite the orcs have killed the Yetis and then I have three problems and no way to recruit new units since the prince is far away from his camp. I have also tried to make the undead and the orcs kill each other with no success.

8. Is not 10 'cause I can't win it. This is becoming a real productivity killer. I can't focus in my work thinking about this :lol2:

Please, increase the Yetis strength. I know some game masters asked to decreased but I guess you decreased it too much (or maybe I'm just having bad luck and something in my laptops random number generator doesn't let the Yetis kill at least one Orc Lord :lol2: ). Or leave the Yetis the way they are and increase the initial gold, all my gold was expended in the "Temple in the Deep".

Maybe all I need is more practice to figure it out.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

A: I doubt the yetis have been changed. You might just be playing on a different difficulty setting.

B: I've never seen an orc leader get killed, just seen the yetis wtfkerpwn lvl 2 orc after lvl 2 orc. All my pretty little xp chunks =(.

C: The lich is quite definitely the sticking point of this scenario. You need a good anti-UD recall list and the gold to call em up. If you don't have it, I'm afraid you might have to either cheat or go back in scenarios to obtain the requisite supplies. A couple white mages do the trick quite nicely. Paladins can't go on the mountains so they are notably less effective. One of them or a shock trooper at the entrance does nicely though, and once you can force your way on to the keep it's easy as pie. Use the red mage line if you don't have enough white mages, and silver mages make the perfect finisher on the lich.
jaimono

Post by jaimono »

Jozrael wrote:A: I doubt the yetis have been changed. You might just be playing on a different difficulty setting.

B: I've never seen an orc leader get killed, just seen the yetis wtfkerpwn lvl 2 orc after lvl 2 orc. All my pretty little xp chunks =(.

C: The lich is quite definitely the sticking point of this scenario. You need a good anti-UD recall list and the gold to call em up. If you don't have it, I'm afraid you might have to either cheat or go back in scenarios to obtain the requisite supplies. A couple white mages do the trick quite nicely. Paladins can't go on the mountains so they are notably less effective. One of them or a shock trooper at the entrance does nicely though, and once you can force your way on to the keep it's easy as pie. Use the red mage line if you don't have enough white mages, and silver mages make the perfect finisher on the lich.
OK. I guess I'm playing the wrong way! I don't even like to use mages cause they get killed so easily and I have tried, but I can't learn how to defend the weak units; they always get ripped. There's still a lot of learning to do for me, but I don't have enough time to play, well... its a really fun game anyway.

Thanks a lot developers!
jaimono

Post by jaimono »

I managed to pass it. But now I guess it is impossible to pass the sewer so I'll have to start all the campaign again :cry:

I'm sending the replay in case someone wants to know how I did it (I guess that's what replay files are for)
Attachments
TRoW-Fallen_Lich_Point_replay.gz
(45.51 KiB) Downloaded 889 times
jaimono

Post by jaimono »

I would like that the scenarios were not so dependent one from another. I know that's why it is called campaign but it always kills my fun to realize that I must go back three or four scenarios and replay them in order to have the right units and to save the right amount of gold needed to win. If I win an scenario then I don't want to play it again for a while.

Whenever this happens I drop the campaign and stop playing Wesnoth for a few months until I see it again in update-manager and remember it, then I start a campaing and when I realize that I must go back some scenarios then I stop playing again until...

Maybe the units and amount of gold needed for the next scenario must be in the current scenario objectives so if you win the scenario you don't have to come back to the current one. Something like:
  • Kill all enemy leaders
  • Promote 3 White Mages
  • Retain 400 gold
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

jaimono wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I would like that the scenarios were not so dependent one from another. I know that's why it is called campaign but it always kills my fun to realize that I must go back three or four scenarios and replay them in order to have the right units and to save the right amount of gold needed to win. If I win an scenario then I don't want to play it again for a while.

Whenever this happens I drop the campaign and stop playing Wesnoth for a few months until I see it again in update-manager and remember it, then I start a campaing and when I realize that I must go back some scenarios then I stop playing again until...
Well, clearly there's a lot that could be done regarding that problem, but if that happens to you constantly, then I'd seriously suggest you play on the easiest difficulty level. I noticed that above you state that you were playing on normal.

There's nothing to shame about playing on the easiest difficulty. Wesnoth is harder than most games, after all. ;)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Not to mention the new gold system will alleviate this concern greatly.
silent

Post by silent »

Once I figured out That I should wait before attacking the lich, this was quite a fun scenario.

Medium 1.4.7
9 If you try to rush the lich too early or with too little gold, 10 if the yeti's survive killing the blue Orc (I restarted if that happened), 2 Otherwise
Clear. If you pay attention in temple in the deep, you'll notice that what you're looking for is the same as the white monolith, but grey
Fear the yeti's!!! Also nice to know the Orcs we're annoyed that the city still stood.
Co-ordinating a 100 gold start attack
7 If the blue Orc loses all forces on the yetis but kills them,
none
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hard 1.6.0

I came in with 547 gold.

3- Both the Yeti’s went west, and annihilated the orc on that side. I just put a few lvl 1 units with the Lady Jessica and 1 Iron Mauler in the woods near the fork of the road, and sent Haldric with a Paladin, an Iron Mauler, a Mage of Light, and Burin + extras down to surround the lich.

Clear enough.

All right.

The lich was actually tougher than I’d given him credit for. He killed the mage I was trying to level up, and it took me a couple of rounds to defeat him (allowing him to get a few ghosts and skeletons), but the outcome was inevitable.

Also, the surviving Yeti healed up in a villiage and came down to attack me. It was a little tricky killing him off without risking a unit. But with a bit of luck, I took him down without losing anything.

7- Good fun. It’s really cool to see a pair of Yeti’s decimate the orcs.

None that I can think of.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

Normal, 1.6

6, Not too hard.

Not very clear. I figured I only had to kill the lich to win, which I managed without too much trouble, but then there was some dialog which implied that I needed Lady Jessica to get the book, and as she was at the top of the map collecting villages it took several turns to get down to the lich's castle, at which point there didn't seem anything for her to do. At this point I finally realised that I had to find a sewer entrance to take Haldric to, and guessed it was the mine entrance, not seeing anything else remotely plausible. All in all, it took me about ten turns longer than it should have to finish the scenario. I think the instructions could have been a lot clearer; maybe some dialogue when you get within sight of the sewer entrance?

Excellent. Good dialogue, and the yetis were fun.

Figuring out where to go.

More directions about where to go.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. 1.6.1 Medium.

2. 2. Rarlg the Yeti singlehandedly destroyed the NW orcs by fighting from a frozen village until all their units were dead, gaining an AMLA and then killing their leader. The other Yeti was less lucky, getting mobbed in the open by 4 Orcish assassins, but managed to cause enough damage for my northern detachment to finish the NE orcs off with little effort. I then surrounded the Lich's keep with Burin and various magi, unstoned them at dawn, killed all but two of their troops, and then stormed the keep with Paladins and killed the Lich.
The Yeti eventually came down south while Haldric was running to the sewer entrance, but my Paladins and magi killed him too for no loss. Leveled quite a few half-experienced mages here.

3. Crystal. Kill the lich and get out through the sewer entrance. The monolith and sewer entrance were both fairly conspicuous.

4. Very good, as is the whole campaign.

5. No.

6. 9. I controlled basically everything I wanted to do, and always had the initiative because the orcs were getting whooped by Yetis and the undead happened to be stoned. The road was also very convenient for moving troops north.

7. None.
Zubb

Post by Zubb »

(1) 3/3
(2) 2/10
(3) 10/10
(4) 5/10 Lich's dying words are HORRIBLE :augh:
(5) none
(6) 3/5
(7) If Orcs and Lich are all dead, end it. 6 turns worth of running up map are no fun.

Strategy hint: don't rush your cavalry forward on turn 1. It triggers Yetti. If you trigger them on T1 they sepparate and die relavtively fast. Trigger them on T2 and they both go for blue Orcs, usually wiping them all out.