The Rise of Wesnoth 2 - The Fall

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 2 - The Fall

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. Hard 112a
2. 7, low time, tons of enemies... major pain.
3. kill the same enemy leader in a new position. Clear as day.
4. Good and clear enough.
5. Again, trying to have a unit survive long enough to make it to level 2. Once again, I failed. Hard mode is really unforgiving. 17 turns, 3 enemies with almost as many units as you have. Major pain for unit preservation.
6. 6. Starting to warm up, enough pressure on the player to keep things lively.
7. A couple more turns would have been nice. 17 really is cutting it close.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Fall

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty. Version 1.1.2a

5/10 - as you can simply retreat before the Orc hordes, it's just a matter of dealing with more bandits.

Perfectly clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Once again, nice dialog. Once again there is that dodgy thing where the Bandit Leader's portrait doesn't always appear when she talks.

Keeping Orcs at bay long enough to deal with bandits.

7/10, another good level. The balance between the pressure of the oncoming orcs and the need to break through the bandits was nicely done.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I like it as it is.
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy difficulty, version 1.1.2a

2/10 - One unit was lost, and I didn't even have to fight the Orcs.

Clear, hope this is a trend.

Dodgy portrait issue... Dialog was up to scratch, looks good.

Not getting my mage killed... I failed.

7/10, I imagine on higher difficulty levels, you would have to fight the orcs, and the fact that I'm laughing in their faces increases the fun factor.

Good now... King Eldaric maybe shouldn't go gung-ho in this one!
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level.
(2) 2. There's no time to lose in this scenario.
(3) Well explained. Kill the Wesfolk leader before the Orcs does.
(4) Well made.It's just the second scenario and the storyline is getting interesting
(5) Keeping my lv2 unit (pikeman) and Eldaric alive
(6) 6. Interesting
(7) 7. Having only 2 heavy infantry to block the green orc. More difficult ;)
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
Imp

Post by Imp »

Medium, 1.2.

7. Very nice. Blitzing the bandits while having the orcs up our rear - like being between a rock and a hard place, but a soft rock and a soft hard place. :-) I loved the added challenge of the orcs - I lost a HI, but levelled a few units.

Crystal.

I was very interested in learning more about this bandit chick and why she came back for more. :-)

The orcs at my backside. Keeping the HI alive.

10. A superb piece of work!

None.
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

(1) Normal, 1.2
(2) Easy, 2
(3) Very clear
(4) It made sense, it worked
(5) Not many at all, I mean, all I had to do was run my horseman into the Bandit leader, I could finish it in one attack from a horseman if all attacks connected.
(6) Not that fun, it was only a matter of getting my horsemen where I wanted them.
(7) None, it was a beginner scenario, it works.
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 3
3) Clear
4) deja vu - the same battle as last time, except with a fire lit under my ass. Clear enough.
5) I underrecruited badly & get bogged down around the bridge & lost most of the units I recruited; had to reload due to losing Haldric at one point. I got lucky and some of the wesfolk got engaged by the orcs, otherwise I would have struggled to finish.
6) 3
7) Reading the walkthrough afterwards, I realise I could have saved the heavy infantry. This seems a bit out of the spirit of the scenario, though. Maybe make them not loyal, so you don't have a special reason to exchange them?
8 ) start gold 429.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

Hard, 1.3.2
very
very
Orcs coming out from hills and bandit from southwest, it should be done quickly or you die...
Maybe one Orc stronghold is enough, a bunch of orc may appear from northeast after 10 turns or so
Isen

Post by Isen »

1.2.3, Hard

Clear

"Right of surrender". Nicely done. Only weakness is that I did not understand what the Wesfolk were doing here. Aren't they supposed to be running away from the orcs rather than into them?

As in the previous mission, I had trouble coming to terms with the fact that bandits can easily match a standard army. As a result the first time round I only bought one castle worth of units and as a result was unable to force my way across the bridge.

6. Forcing the way across a narrow bridge is rarely fun, but holding the orcs off with minimal units is great. Bleed them with heavy infantry, counterattack with horsemen, level up to knights, repeat =P.

-
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium - 1.4.1
(2) 3
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
Joram

Post by Joram »

1.6.0 Hard (I've actually played it on an earlier version as well)

For reference, I went in to this scenario with:
Haldric level 2
2 Spearmen, 1 archer with about 20 xp

4- Not to difficult. I lost a couple of times because I was trying to survive at night between the orcs and the bandits. It finally penetrated my thick skull that I wasn't going to do well that way, so I pulled back across the river, and let the bandits and orcs kill each other.

Clear enough.

I thought that the dialogue could have been improved; especially regarding Eldaric staying behind. It fell rather flat, imo. Rather than just have one comment saying “I’m staying. You go ahead”, I think it would be really cool to build up to it a bit. Something like this***:

*dialogue corresponding to whether or not you teemed up with the Lady Outlaw*

Eldric: “We’ll have to keep our rear-guard organized. They’re pressing fast behind us.”

Some_Unit: “Sir, your orders are being carried out, and we are withdrawing, but they are coming on too fast. Already they have filled the northern end of the valley.”

Eldaric: “Can they be turned back long enough for a retreat?”

Some_Unit: “I fear not sir. They are too numerous. Any attempt to throw them into disarray for any extended period of time would be doubtful at best.”

Haldric: “We shall have to try. It is the only way to get everyone out of the valley without wolves chasing us every moment. Some_Unit, organize your forces for a strike into the valley.”

Eldaric: “No son. There is no hope that way.”

Haldric: “Father?”

Eldaric: “These are my people, and I must do my duty to them to the end. I will remain here and hold these monsters off for as long as I can.”

Haldric: “But father…”

Eldaric: “Don’t argue with me Haldric. Being a King means more than just leading glorious charges to victory and giving orders to peasants. It brings also the responsibility to protect and provide for your people, who place their trust in your guidance and leadership. The only hope for our people is for someone to remain behind and hold of these creatures. I will not ask for anyone else to shoulder the burden that is rightfully mine.”

Haldric: “I’ll stay with you, father. We shall face these monsters together.”

Eldaric: “No. You must lead our people to safety. As leaders, we have less freedom of choice than others. Just as it is mine to stay behind, whether I wish it or not, it is your responsibility to shoulder the burden of leadership that I am giving up.”

Eldaric: “It is the only way, Haldric. Go now, and don’t look back! Luck be with you!”

Figuring out that a lawful force sandwiched between two chaotic forces at night is not a good thing.

10- Still very fun. Leveling units, nice-to-look-at map, more than just kill-them-all, and so on.

Other than doctoring up the dialogue a bit more, I can’t think of anything that I would change, had I the power.

***I recognize that extensive changes to the dialogue are not likely to be implemented. I’m just giving my opinion, and amusing myself by coming up with different stuff.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

1.4.7, medium

5. Is there a reason to refuse the Lady Outlaw's offer?

N/A

Put a few villagers out there for the orcs to slice open with their scimitars, showing their bloodthirsty barbarism.
noob123

Post by noob123 »

Medium, 1.6.5
Clear as day
Very clear, nothing special but gets the point across.
Saving shock troopers and 2 level units.
8. Very fun, challenging and entertaining.
Liked it as it is. Nice job, devs!
Zubb

Post by Zubb »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
3/3 1.6.5
8/10
5/5
Not losing experienced units. Getting through this scenario is easy, getting without significant loses is not.
8/10
none needed.

The way I've passed it, if anyone cares. First of all withdraw heavy infantry south. Then send a unit of magi and horsemen to help them get to the southern bank of the river, defend there and let rebels and orcs slaughter each over. Your main force should at this time defend against the NE orcs, accumulating experience, using Kings Leadership for maximum advantage. By the time Wesfolk run out of gold, send a kill-team capable of dispatching their leader along the southern end of the map. I used two lvl two Magi for this task.