The Rise of Wesnoth 2 - The Fall

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Fall

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6

Playing without reloads I was not able to get upgrade for any mage in the first and also in this, second scenario. Actually I barely escaped sacrificing one of my armored loyal soldiers. That was really something. Intensive micromanagment for using Eldaric's leadership.

Statistics:

turns 9/17
inflicted +1%
taken -10%
losses 4
kills 19
advancement 0

start gold 232
Attachments
TRoW-The_Fall_replay.gz
(31.98 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 2 - The Fall

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

1.14.2, Hard

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Neat.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Keeping all of my units alive.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

7, I like the ambigous scenario name.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-
Attachments
TRoW-The Fall replay.gz
(29.8 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- It does seem good and now that they know that orcs exist, this is the start of the menace for them here. I went on to save the bandit leader. I wish Eldaric's last lines were improved though

- Making sure orcs don't roast me from my back

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Good as it is
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.5.11, Lord (Difficult)

Clear.

Good.

None. I don't think there was ever a danger not to meet the scenario objectives.
Decided to farm xp by beating up everyone, messed up on one front though (that's how I lost some units).

-

Statistic:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-The Fall replay 20210326-183411.gz
(37.39 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.

6/10 (to do well; to just meet the objective isn't hard)

Perfectly clear. "Orcs kill the Wesfolk Leader" being a fail condition seems to foreshadow that the Wesfolk Leader is important to the plot...

Clear, and interesting. The same map as the last scenario in a different season helps to build the setting. Also, suddenly orcs, and a lot of them from two directions - it does inspire a sense of urgency.

Keeping the loyal heavy infantrymen alive (one died.) Also, judging whether I could take on the orcs for experience. As this was a blind playthrough, I decided to just rush the Wesfolk Leader as the scenario seemed to suggest. This meant I took on a bad fight at night instead of letting them and the orcs duke it out; the early finish bonus was good, though.

8/10. And there's some replayability value in figuring out whether the orcs are farmable for xp.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
TRoW-The Fall replay 20210623-154604.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(28.17 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.0, Lord (Difficult)

6, you need to time your river crossing just right, just before the orcs arrive in force, but after the Wesfolk have exhausted their forces.

Clear.

Clear.

Getting the timing right.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-The Fall replay 20211031-155733.gz
(25.59 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1) 1.16.5 Intermediate - I had tried hard in 1.14 and failed to save the Heavy Infantry

(2) 6 - I'd say nine if you want to get rid of the orc leaders and 5 if you just want to assassinate the outlaw

(3) Quite clear, but it wasn't obvious that the outlaws and orcs would be fighting against each other.

(4) Quite good.

(5) Not understanding that I can pit the outlaws against the orcs and because of that fighting them all simultaneously

(6) 5 - Loyal units are too precious to be sacrificed so the HI are a liability, not an asset, and protecting their escape isn't particularly fun.

(7) I really love to have loyal units and the Infantryman are really useful later, but 3 identical loyal units (which, especially once they leveled up, are nearly mandatory to recall since in a few turns they've repaid their recall cost through their upkeep reduction) are actually limiting the strategic value of the rest of the campaign. And in this scenario, they transform the actual objective from "kill the outlaw lady" to "save the heavy infantrymen".
If you want to give us one loyal infantryman, why not, but either do it later or put them farther back so they don't need to be rescued here (maybe give it at the start of the previous scenario, as Haldric's bodyguard that his father gives him before he goes into battle ?).
If you feel the campaign needs more loyal units, give some later (one Wose sapling, one Cavalryman, one Elf, one Outlaw, whatever).
The three castle defenses near the orcish pass should be manned by ordinary spearmen (give more gold if you find them not powerful enough), just add three player-controlled villages to pay for their upkeep.
It could be good to be able to recruit (non-loyal) infantrymen in this scenario and be told that it's the last time one can, in order to diversify the player's roster.
Again, hint that Eldaric will maybe not be with you in the rest of the campaign, so as not to waste XP on him.
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Difficulty: Lord Version: 1.17.22

Pretty clear

Really interesting 10/10

It was a bit difficult to save all three infantrymen and units with lots of xp but I mananged to do it (just barely) by feeding cannon fodder to the orcs.

10/10 Loved it.

-