The Rise of Wesnoth 2 - The Fall

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re:

Post by Astoria »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

Easy 1.6.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

5, I used the Shock Troopers to keep the orcs back for 4 turns, that made it easier for me.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Crystal.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Finding a way to get a decent army at every enemy.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

8, A really fun to play scenario!

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

None.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
random-hero

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Fall

Post by random-hero »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

(1) 1.6.5, hard
(2) 7
(3) perfectly clear
(4) i really like the dialogues of this camoain (yet..), mostly very intersting and elaborated
(5) i got under really hard time pressure. tried to cross the river to the bandits carefully without much losses. but the orcs avencing from the north finally forced me to attack desperately. at the end i lost my two level 2 units, but also gained two new ones so i was satisfied and didn't try again with a more precise strategy
(6) 9! one of the best i've ever played. it really fells like, how to express, running on a blade.. you have to balance between a fast breakthrough at the bandits frontier, wich implies some heavy losses, or getting slaughtered by the orcs when attacking too carefully. very interesting, and also the storyline fits in very well. beautifull map, by the way.
i liked very much that the bandits actually formed a strong defense position, and also the ai seemed to play the bandits quite defensive. fits very good to their situation. well maybe it was just randomness, ai behaviour is sometimes a liite unpredictable i guess ;-)
(7) it's near to beeing perfect. I was a little unsure about the decision to take in the end. well, it felt more justified to slaughter the snake-tongue bandit finally, but the dialogue afterwards made me feel somewhat uncomoftable.. maybe their help would have been usefull. haha I will see that in the next scenarios!
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal)

8 if you care about your loses, 7 if you don’t

Clear

Good

Bad luck, bad positioning and bad terrain (bad for me, at least).

No changes

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
On my first attempt I recalled just 5 units and tried finishing the mission with those plus one of the Heavy Infantries. Bad idea. Second time I recalled 10 units and that was enough.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
fenny

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 8, it was hard to get to Jessene, the orcs and bandids didn't fight each other, both preferred to fight me and i had to flee with Haldiel from his keep at the end and managed to win just in time
3) clear
4) ok
5) getting to the bandid leader in time while fighting on all sides against the orcs, trying to keep a shocktrooper alive (i never managed that)
6) 7, it's everytime a bit different
7) nothing
8 ) no
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 260 starting gold

Kill same enemy leader again while being swamped by orcs.

OK.

Figuring out you really just had to push SW. The first time I tried holding the northeastern and northwestern front, but I was just overwhelmed by orcs before I could kill the Wesfolk leader. Then I basically just put all my effort into getting the Wesfolk leader and let the orcs come (I was going to try to hold the river but won before I had to).

Still haven't leveled Haldric, grrr.... he's such a whimp, it's hard.

6. It's a good challenge in speed, but there is a lot of luck in horsemen hitting or not hitting.

It's fine.

Edited to add: I've run into major problems in the subsequent scenario (Harrowing Escape) so I've come back and replayed the first two to try and generate tougher troops, which I've done. Second time I played this, I followed the wiki advice and pulled the HI down south and held off the NW orcs at the two southern forts. Second replay attached.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Fall_replay.gz
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
TRoW-The_Fall_replay.gz
(23.95 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Lord (challenging, most difficult); 1.9.3; 240 starting gold

Okay, but not clear that if the orcs kill the outlaw leader, you lose.

Good.

I tried fighting and got slaughtered at night. Then I tried playing off the two adversaries against each other, but the orcs killed the outlaw leader, resulting in a loss. Finally, I conceded to try assassination, and this was fairly easy. A knight was able to go through the southern mountain pass and kill her in one blow. He had backup, in case that failed.

Reduce orc gold on hard, so a non-assasination strategy will work.

(8)Reloads?
I changed my mind about how to answer the question about sparing the lady.

(9)WML?
There are no comments.

(10)Replay?
Attached.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Fall_replay.gz
(28.39 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord (Challenging), 1.10.0

6 (Assassination), 9+ (anything different)

Clear.

On Challenging the only reliably working strategy seems to be to send mages backed up with some spearmen through the mountains. As the outlaw priority is orcs, this is surprisingly easy, if you give them enough room to meet each other. Defending in the east never worked out for me. It slows down the eastern orcs and helps retaining income, but I don't collect XP there but simply die.

7 (Assassination doesn't leave much time to enjoy the landscape.)

Add Haldric reaching the pass to the winning condition.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Hard; iPad
4; the scenario itself isn't actually that difficult - finishing early is a huge problem.

I used the assassination strategy over the SW mountain pass as described in the walkthrough, but just can't finish it any earlier than on turn 8. Did it on turn 9 this time to get a bit more XP for my units.

Very clear
Lady Outlaw - sounds cool :lol2:
Figuring out how to get these 3 HI's into safety.

It was pretty clear that you don't want to get sandwiched between two chaotic units at night, so retreating back over the bridge while moving the assassination task force ahead over the pass was pretty much clear. However, I didn't know whether to leave the HI's in these two keeps, together with the King and a few horsemen or try to move them towards that village near the river. Eventually figured out that forming a defense line is not what you want here - because you really want the outlaws meet the orcs. A combination of first holding these two castle tiles, then retreating over the river worked.

I played it a few times, trying different strategies, but never save/loaded - restarted the entire scenario when I screwed up totally. And I had a lot of fun with it :D
Well, these orcs in the NE are pretty much completely useless. If you make camp around the bridge, then the first assassins will come to you on turn 7 - and then, they first take the empty villages instead of attacking.

Carryover gold trouble:
So after finishing on turn 9/17, I have 188 gold for the next scenario. The walkthrough says that it's barely beatable with ~200 and that 250 would be better.

I don't have any lvl 2 units yet, but 5 lvl 1's which are within 15 XP of leveling (2 bowmen, a horseman and 2 spearmen). My mages are 18/48 and 8/60. And I have 2 horsemen and another spearman within 20 XP of leveling.

Is that enough or should I better replay it to get my mages more XP ?

I had two mages in my assassination task force, but didn't meet any resistance on that path, so the only XP came from the "lady kill". That 8/60 mage got a single orc kill on the battlefield.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Started the entire campaign from scratch and now I'm doing much better :D

The key to finishing this with decent carry over gold is not to recruit too many units. This time, I played it with three rounds of recruiting, not four and send a fast spearman up to that village in the southern mountain.

I did not use any horsemen because I already have two close to leveling from the last scenario, so I couldn't grab that many villages, but still managed to keep my income at +10 all the way till turn 9 where the purple orc started stealing some of my villages, but also lost a few units, so my income never got below +8. Finished on turn 11, and have now 220 starting gold for the next scenario.

Sending units up to the purple orcs also turned out to be a mistake - their costs simply don't warrant the little extra XP that they could get and the purple orcs are no threat at all.

Playing with only 15 units instead of 20+ also helped me distribute XP better, so I now have 6 units close to leveling, including two mages.
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Challenging) 1.10.3
262 starting gold, enemies: 170/350/310
Finished turn 10/17

8. I never wanted only to rely on assassination. The way through the hills can easily be blocked, defenders have good ground. Also I wanted to get some xp by killing orcs and wesfolk. So I chose a mix of both.
Holding the ground against orcs (using the castle tiles) and wesfolk (along the river) is tough. It is possible, even without save loading. However, it can as well end up in getting seriously hammered between orcs and wesfolk before the assassination works out. Therefore, this is (at least for me) a good example for how it pays out, to be a bit less aggressive and not to proceed as fast as possible.
I decided to hold the castle tiles with the HI, but let the wesfolk cross the river to meet the orcs.

Clear. It is mentioned, that the orcs must not kill the wesfolk leader.

Clear.

Planning the own attacks in a way, that results in good defensive positions at the end of the own turn. Not to go for every possible kill/attack.

7. The time limit and the orcs pushing from behind don’t let you enjoy this one too much. Still it’s an interesting scenario. You have to find out and make use of the fact that orcs and wesfolk prefer to attack themselves.

There might be a hint that the wesfolk is even more frightened about the orcs than about the royal troops and therefore prefers to go for them. The orc leader is addressing to “humans”, so the wesfolk is meant as well. But the player doesn’t know, that also the orcs will prefer to attack wesfolk instead of the royals.
In summary, there should be some explanation to let the player know, he can play out orcs against wesfolk. Especially at night, you would expect both enemies to prefer attacking the lawful units, because of less retaliation damage.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Losing some units while being sandwiched between orcs and wesfolk.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Fall_replay.gz
(33.6 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.15, 258 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? 7 for a quick assassination.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Very good.
(5) Challenges? I beat the scenario, then needed to replay it from start for a quicker victory (more gold.) In order to expedite my assassination squad's journey south of the swamp, this time I sent the king (an L3 leader). He can't go into mountains, so sometimes he had to get his feet wet in the swamp. I also used my Horsemen and Spearmen aggressively/suicidally in the swamp, to keep the narrow path from getting ZOC locked. Another thing I did differently this time was to take a much more aggressive stance towards the orcs, because I didn't want them to knock out the outlaw leader before I could. I set up camp in the two 1-hex castles and was surprised that the orcs initially just ran past me to get to the outlaws, but eventually they engaged. I thought I was going to finish on turn 9, so had my units stick their necks out to collect XP, but then I failed to kill the outlaw leader. However, I had planned for this, and it just a bunch of low XP Spearmen that lost their lives, while my important units got another round of XP collecting. :) I wound up with one Mage who never did anything, so that was a waste of gold. My two other Mages got experience, but not enough to level or be within 8 XP, which was a disappointment.
(6) Fun? 7. I don't really like assassination scenarios.
(7) Changes? To make a military victory possible (as opposed to assassination), you could try weakening the northwest orcs and strengthening the northeast orcs.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Fall_replay.gz
(40.12 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
Theron

Post by Theron »

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.15

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
2 100+167 9/17 8-3-0-4-12

Comments:
This is a tricky scenario.
I recommend letting Lady Jessene join your forces in the end.
Pros: early access to chaotic units, impact attacks, marksman, poison, backstab specials, units with a movement cost of only 2 in shallow water (and a unit with mc of 1 in woods)
Con: less gold for the next scenario.
While it’s possible to defeat the NE orc (given enough quick units and a white mage) it’s far too costly.
If I only block the NE orc while fighting a 3 sided engagement north of Lady Jessene’s keep I still need too many units.
I finally gave the assassination strategy a try and it worked (although on turn 4 the mountain path seemed to be well guarded).
This worked for me:
3 mages as the assassination team.
Just enough units to get the loyal HIs to safety and hold the line.
2 Spearmen to delay the NE orc.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Fall_replay_HARD.gz
(38.25 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / Challenging. Plenty of gold, but resisted spending all of it. King, two mages + experienced spearman went over the pass. Haldric had to retreat past the river, when he came under pressure (lost strong heavy infantry in the process). Didn't manage to level up mages, but had a swordman, knight + longbowman. Accepted Jessene in the party.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Hestelvar

Post by Hestelvar »

Easy. 1.13.4

7, because I recruited heavily and attacked the orcs instead of retreating.

Clear. I just choose to pursue my own.
It is easy to overlook that the orcs killing the Lady Outlaw results in defeat, perhaps after a few turns Eldaric should say something like.
"Hurry! If the orcs take the south pass first us we'll be trapped!"
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, time to flee. The storyline is moving along nicely and the dialogue is impressive. I particularly liked Eldaric’s
“Argh, she’s gone. Next time, more sword, less chat."
It’s nitpicking but the phrase “set up shop” feels too modern & wordy - encamped sounds better to me.
“That’s awful! And it only gets worse. That Wesfolk rabble has set up shop again in the south pass...”
None. Though the orc assassins were a nuisance.

9, the complexity and originality results in excellent re-playability. I’m intrigued by the ramifications of the choice at the end.

(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It’s nearly perfect, but I’ll repeat myself. I’d make King Eldaric an allied Leader. (Perhaps let them share the keep.) I found it strange that I controlled him. This might make it easier to understand why, after killing all the orcs, Eldaric chooses to remain behind.
If the orcs are meant to be invincible, the north-east Leader could be given more starting gold without making the scenario objectives significantly harder.

Carelessness and overestimating King Eldaric’s resilience to thugs.
Attachments
TRoW-A_Summer_of_Storms_replay.bz2
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal

Clear

Good.

First go around I under recruited with a single keep of a knight, a near-knight, and horsemen and tried to blast my way through. It almost worked but I got bogged down just enough for the orcs to catch me. Second go I probably over recruited with three keep fulls and felt as if I could have made a real go at fighting the orcs but just finished it quickly instead. (Replay from second go.)

7, fairly typical though the bridge and orcs converging make things a bit interesting.

Move the NE orcs closer so they are a bit more on your heels?
Attachments
TRoW-The_Fall_replay.gz
(36.36 KiB) Downloaded 639 times