The Rise of Wesnoth 8 - Clearwater Port

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Theron

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Clearwater Port

Post by Theron »

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.15

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
8 200+49 28/32 9-10-16-5-121

Comments:
I leveled my first „special force“ unit (silver mage) just in time.
Advice: If there were no gold for orcish reinforcements (on turn 10, 16, 22 and 28) it should be easy to defeat all leaders. So don’t try to kill them all for the early finish bonus as it’s impossible. Instead camp in a nice defensible location and ideally have Haldric near the ship's landing zone.
Attachments
TRoW-Clearwater_Port_replay_HARD.gz
(102.91 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / Challenging. Close to min gold, 220 or so. Spearman spam for the win, other than that 2 healers, a few archers + outlaws, who keep dying close to level up. Used tanky loyals at start, got halberd, two royal guards, master bowman and several L2 in the scenario all from L1, no real problems, had to beat back enemies who made it on the wall once or twice. No restarts. Aethyr staying without gold or units after announcing they have just to evacuate the citizens at the beginning of the scenario still doesn't make any sense.

This scenario can be improved tremendously with defensive mini-AI for Aethyr, ally priorities do nothing. Suicide charge can be avoided, please do so.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Hestelvar

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy. 1.13.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Up to 9 to defeat all leaders, but varies as the battle takes a different course each time.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
The multiple objectives are well explained. However some indication of when the ships are expected would be nice.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear and enjoyable. I particularly liked Lady Jessene’s
I’ll show you irregular!
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Fighting on multiple front, losing important units.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
10, almost impossible to improve - this scenario has everything!

(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the ‘surprise’ comprise a level two and two level one Naga’s on all difficulties, equivalent to the orcish assassins that appeared in earlier scenarios. Considering the strength of the orcish forces the ‘surprise’ be it one, two, or three Naga fighters represents a negligible addition.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Losing royal/loyal units.

Remarks
It’s a memorable scenario, one of the best BfW has to offer, with ample strategic choices.
I found that the objective I defined for my ally largely determined there usefulness. First attempt used them to protect my force with mixed results; my fault I think as I didn’t trust them, and too often our units were in each others way. Second attempt I told them to attack the southern (green) orcs, which they did heroically allowing me to concentrate on purple through the first night. In hindsight I shouldn’t have split my forces until purple was vanquished.
An early, ill-judged sortie by an orc leader sometimes makes things much easier.
Attachments
TRoW-Clearwater_Port_replay_2.bz2
(49.69 KiB) Downloaded 670 times
TRoW-Clearwater_Port_replay.bz2
(41.3 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

1.12.6, Normal

4, taking last ship. All just a matter of having enough units to rotate.

What bonus I got for leaving at different times was not clear. When ships were leaving was not clear. It also was not clear if I had to just get Haldric on the ship, or all my forces. I guessed just Haldric but was a little nervous.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Very good, this whole campaign is above average.

Dealing with attacks from the northeast and via sea from the South.

Poison.

Forgetting the first time I played that Haldric had to get on the ship.

8, I enjoy defense scenarios.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Clarify the different rewards for leaving on the different ships. Right now it's unclear so I just harvested XP.

Speaking of harvesting XP, I'm not sure how to fix this, but since Haldric was the only one who needed to board the ship and that ended the campaign, I did a bunch of XP harvesting on the last turn, right before he boarded, that would normally have been suicidal. Maybe player should lose any unit outside the city walls when the ship with Haldric leaves?

I found most of the nagas just attacked the southern end of my wall and were easily killed off by a knight I stationed in the village there. They would have been more challenging if they were to attack from other parts of the water (ironically, I had a wolf do this).
Attachments
TRoW-Clearwater_Port_replay.gz
(101.67 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6

I was too ambitious and wanted to kill all orcs. Several reattempts to get a proper strategy. I got only 200 starting gold, so made a trick - recruited only loyal units at the turn 1 and used them to take as much villages as possible and waited to acquire more gold. Then started to recruit from the turn 5. That was something! I was balancing on a brink of survival most of the time but was able to kill 2 orcish lords in the end and finished on the last ship (with more time I would easely kill the last leader for sure). Probably I got too much luck with my reloads however (reloads was not to save units but to regroup but they still affect chances). But I got a Silver mage died here. Got a pleasure watching my own replay, a year passed since I finished this scenario.

Statistics:

turns 31/32
inflicted +4%
taken -12%
losses 1
kills 139
advancement 7

start gold 200
Attachments
TRoW-Clearwater_Port_replay.gz
(83.96 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
LordWolfDan

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 8 - Clearwater Port

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- It's good. Commander Aethyr seems like a tragic and a likable character. Lady Jessene's "irregular" line is pretty hilarious to listen.

- Holding off the orcs while my ally had no more gold with himself. Ended up fleeing on the second ship

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Make the friendly AI defensive instead of charging into the battle
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.5, Hard

Mostly clear, but it would be nice to know when the ships will leave again. I can imagine someone wanting to leave, but the ship leaves one turn before he could reach it.

Enjoyable and clear.

Taking down the orcish waves while advancing.

-
Attachments
TRoW-Clearwater Port replay.gz
(71.27 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.

9/10. I was expecting it to be easier (just orcs, right?) But there were way more of them than I thought. At least the terrain gives us a very holdable position.

Clear enough - it's not obvious when the ships will arrive or when they leave, but we can certainly beat the orcs, right? Right? ...

Now we have an unlikely band of Haldric's people, Jessene's Wesfolk, a dwarf, a holy mage, and a knight, walking into a bar setting up ship shop in Clearwater Port. Commander Aethyr comes across as gruff and angry yet nice, and very determined to stick it to the orcs.

I misjudged the map - there were way more orcs than I thought, the northern leader gets a ton of villages, and it wasn't very efficient to take the southern island, so the footpads could have been other recruits instead. Defending Clearwater Port from the north was also tricky - I should probably have sent 3-4 tanky recruits to rotate up there, instead of 2 recalls and a healer. And of course, killing the orc leaders seems out of the question, unless there's some mad aggressive rush strategy with horsemen before the first night...

The other major challenge, which makes up the bulk of the scenario, is to maintain a defensive line throughout the day/night cycle. Burin is absurdly good at this job and AMLA'd a couple of times in the campaign; if I had kept more loyal HI alive from The Fall (the fearless one!), they would've been great too. Just keeping a strong melee line of the thug/spearmen unit trees backed up by lots of healers works fine, attacking ranged units that come, but ignoring the melee ones and letting them damage themselves via retaliation instead. Assassins are the highest priority kill, as their poison rapidly depletes frontline unit HP.

9/10. I do like a good challenge, and this is also an amazing scenario for levelling veterans, and any fresh recruits that happen to survive. The fight for survival really does feel like survival, as pushing out of the city never really feels viable until very late. The scenario ends right about where it feels like the tides turn, so the timing there is good.

Maybe just explain who has to move to the ships to trigger the evacuation. (I guessed Haldric.)

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, one time - I misplayed a single move in the nighttime defence and decided to restart the scenario. (I had planned 3-4 moves in a sequence, but miscounted the movement points of the first unit to move, so when he moved first to free a hex for an attack, he didn't have enough MP to fill the defensive line where he should have.) The defence was otherwise holding up quite well, but that mistake was quite bad.
Attachments
TRoW-Clearwater Port replay 20210624-231531.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(89.51 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.0, Lord (Difficult)

Clear.

Clear.

Accepting that I have to stick to defense.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-Clearwater Port replay 20211105-153754.gz
(74 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1) 1.16.5 intermediate

(2) 6 - Not losing units against the initial wave is quite difficult. The assault from the north lighthouse can be challenging too.

(3) clear

(4) Quite good.

(5) Avoiding pursuing enemy troops in the night.

(6) 8 - The choice of objectives is nice. And I love murdering assassins in the water...

(7) The Naga surprise could be a bit stronger.
Have a few passive allied spearmen on the defense walls could help being more adventurous in one's push.
Have infantrymen in Aethyr's roster, as to vary a little bit the units.
Putting a village in the lighted area north of the castle would make a push in that direction more viable.
Maybe get one loyal Infrantryman or Cavalryman if you flee with the third ship/kill the enemy leaders ?
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Version 1.17.22 (Difficulty: Lord)

Not sure if this is the best place to report this but the Black Orc Leader is missing.