The Rise of Wesnoth 4b - The Midlands

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Midlands

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6

I thought that this scenario would be easy given I got many advancements in the previous scenario but not! Had to play with creativity. Was not even able to kill the eastern orcish leader with the first attack, had to pull my units back to help the center.

Statistics:

turns 23/39
inflicted -1%
taken -4%
losses 2
kills 67
advancements 7

start gold 276
Attachments
TRoW-The_Midlands.gz
(9.08 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Midlands

Post by octalot »

Velensk wrote: July 9th, 2014, 11:07 am Gameplaywise I rather prefer this scenario to the swamps. It's a much greater challenge and I like the tactics of wide field battles against vastly superior enemies. There is one problem though which is the reason why I've only been through it once on hard and that is that you cannot get a loyal white mage going this way. Although I appreciate having a challenging scenario, I don't neccesarily want to make the entire rest of the campaign much more difficult by choosing this path. This is also an issue for people going through the campaign for the first time who don't know that going through the swamps will provide them with a substancial long term advantage in addition to being an easier scenario.
-I think that the scenario would fit better into the campaign as a whole if it provided the player with some extra significant perk. This would make it so that the advice for the previous scenario's choice doesn't amount to 'choose the swamp unless you like pain' and give players both less chance to make an ignorant mistake or to have a preference in the style of battle they play.
I think this scenario should be followed by the Swamp instead of going directly to the Old Wood. So choosing the Midlands at the end of Harrowing Escape would become an optional detour that gave some XP and Sir Ladoc, and was then followed by a version of the Swamp that gives the white mage but doesn't give Sir Ruddry. This route to the Swamp could also have a tighter time limit than going directly to it from Harrowing Escape.

That would also make sense on the map, where Oldwood is east of the Swamp. Related to issue #4289, which is asking if the wrong forest is labelled as the Oldwood.
gnombat

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Midlands

Post by gnombat »

octalot wrote: September 14th, 2019, 5:48 pm That would also make sense on the map, where Oldwood is east of the Swamp. Related to issue #4289, which is asking if the wrong forest is labelled as the Oldwood.
It seems that the location of the Oldwood changed when the map was revised for version 1.4 - I'm not sure why. (It's kind of hard to see in the thumbnail, but if you click to zoom in you can see the location of the track has changed.)
Swamp to Oldwood - Wesnoth 1.2
Swamp to Oldwood - Wesnoth 1.2
Swamp to Oldwood - Wesnoth 1.4
Swamp to Oldwood - Wesnoth 1.4
Midlands to Oldwood - Wesnoth 1.2
Midlands to Oldwood - Wesnoth 1.2
Midlands to Oldwood - Wesnoth 1.4
Midlands to Oldwood - Wesnoth 1.4