The Rise of Wesnoth 4b - The Midlands

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 4b - The Midlands

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Easy

Very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Pretty good

Getting past the second wave of orcs.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Make one of the three camps output less orcs. It's tough trying to fight three armies at once, espeically with no gold left to recuit more people.
kiet

Post by kiet »

Hard

Very clear

Very good and intresting

Trying to last the first night

More villages near the starting keep as the assasins keep pouring in and poison my troops.
scott

Post by scott »

[map]
hhfhhhhhgggghhhhffgghhhffffgggrggggggggf
hhhhgggggggggfhhhfgfffgvfffggtrggfggggff
hhhhggggn2nggfffftfffggggggggrrggfffffff
ffhhhtggngnggfvffffggggggwgrrggggfffffff
ffhfhhgggwgggffffffggggggggrggggtfffffff
ggfffgggwwgtggfgfffggggggggrgCCCggffffff
ggfffgfgwfffffgggfggggtfgggrrC1Cggffffff
ccgggggggffgggggggggggffffrgggCgggghhffg
cccggtgggggggggggggggfffggrggggwwghhhffg
gcccccgcgcggggggggggggtgggrggtgwwggfhfgg
ffccccccccccggggffggwwgggrrrgggggfgffffg
hhfhgfcwwgccccggfgggwggrrgggrrggtffgfffg
hhhggfgwwgggcccggggggrrggggggrggfffggggg
hhhhghggghggfccgggggrggggfgggrgggggggggg
hhhhhhghggggffccgggrrgggffggrgggggggfggg
hfhfhhhgghhhggccctrfgggffgggrggggggggggg
fffffffgffhghggcc/rfgggfffggrggwgfgfgfgg
fcccfcfwgffggggr/cccffgffgggrgwwggfgffgg
cfggcgcccctggrrtccscffggffvgrgwwwgggfggf
fffffgggggc/rwgghcsscgggfgggrgwwwggggfff
fffgfgffggrtccggvgcsccggggggrtggwggffffg
fffgghhgggrgggccccccssccccggrrgggggfffff
hhhhhhghggrggfggfffgccssssccgrgcwcfgfgff
hhhhhhhhhgrgfffgggfgwwccccssc|cscsccwwff
hhhhhggtggrrgggggggwwwwgggccc|csssssccgg
hhhhhfffggrgrrgtgwggwgwggfwwwrccccccsscc
hhhggfffgCrCgrgggggfggggggfffrtwwwhhccss
hhhgghfggC3Cgrgggggfffggvgffffrrwthgggcc
hhhghfffgggggrhhgggffffggggfffggrggffftf
hhhhffffggghhrghhgggfffgffgffCCrrrrrffff
hhhfffvfgggghrghhggggfffffffff4Cgffrffff
hhhffffhhggrrgtgggggggfffffwffCfgffrfgff
hhhhfhhhhgrgghggggggggfffgwwwffffgtrggff
hhhhhhhggrrghhhgggggggfffgwwwwffffgrgggf
hhhhhhhhgrggghhhghggggggggggfffffffrffff
[/map]

This is surely not too few villages, is it? I think it's ok.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Yahzi

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Midlands

Post by Yahzi »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.2, medium.
11. I started with the minimum gold, so it was impossible.
Don't know, never got that far.
It was fine.
Gold.
0. It was impossible.
Make the minimum gold the amount you actually need to win. Giving people 100 gold suggests that you can actually play the scenario with 100 gold. I would have preferred that the scenario informed me on the first turn that I had lost because I didn't bring enough gold from the previous scenario. Then I might have gone back to the previous scenario, instead of wasting my time on an unwinnable starting position.
RLent

Post by RLent »

Wesnoth 1.2, easy level.

Clear enough, kill them all.

4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It was quite clear.

Getting across the east bridge. The enemy holds the bridge, and I by the time I fight my way across, the other two enemies are tearing me apart from the north.

3. It would be a lot more fun it it weren't so brutal! I haven't come close to beating it yet.

Get rid of the units that use poison. There's no gold to make more units, and I have to move fast to avoid facing all three forces at once. When my units are poisoned, I have to either fight on until they die, or try to get them to a village - if I can get them to one. Leaving them at a village often means leaving them behind, where they get picked off. I think it would be more balanced without poison.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

Hard, 1.3.2
9~10
very
very
Strategy is not enough in this scenario. Part of it is a matter of luck. I loaded the game a lot of time to understand how to avoid enemies in order to survive. I lost a lot of leveled units in this scenario, but after violet and blu enemies dies it is a piece of cake...
10, but it is frustrating
There are 3 stronghold, each enemy recruit 3 full castle or more... also when you approach enemies at south soe level 2 enemies arrives from nowhere... maybe... a smaller castle for orc leader?
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. 1.2.4 and meduim
2. 7 before i reliased that you need a horseman wipe out but the 3
3. clear
4. alright
5. not losing all my money
6. 4
7. No reinforcements for the orcs as you have to recruite more people and end up losing all your money
Isen

Post by Isen »

1.2.3, Hard

Clear

I love overconfident enemies. Makes it so much more sweet when I take them out.

Lack of healers. I managed to get a Paladin and a White Mage during the course of this level, but I needed more and earlier. I was relying on my knights to take out the upper-left orc to allow me to use the river as a defensive line, but ran into difficulty when he simply bought more units for each one I killed and I couldn't even heal my units. And then there was poison. Oh god, poison >_<.

In the end I had to sacrifice a lot of my spear and bowmen to save my Magi and Knights, which in effect ruined any chance of fielding a strong infantry force later in the game.

4. Poison...

Maybe make only one of the orcs able to recruit assassins or something. They really are brutal given the lack of healers this early in the game.
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

Isen wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe make only one of the orcs able to recruit assassins or something. They really are brutal given the lack of healers this early in the game.
On my version i have poison with one leader and you can have good healers, what about palidins, i had 2 of those for this mission they can stop the posion easily and there are loads of houses.
fareley

Post by fareley »

hard, 1.5.3
9 - wipe them all out
it's okay (but is there NEVER an intelligent orc leader?)
survive the first wave - i didn't
7 - can be VERY frustrating and the enemy who recruits only level-1-units (but a lot of them...) stops you from building a defense line at the river...
maybe delete one enemy so you may fight only at the river and get a real chance to level up some units
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

1. What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
    medium, 1.7.11, w/outlaws
  2. How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
  3. How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
  4. How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
    the last minute reinforcements are obviously not surprising the second time playing this.
  5. What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
    not losing too many units fending off the first wave that crosses the river.
    the west orc is relatively easy to finish.
  6. How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
    7, tactically challenging
  7. What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
    - remove 3 or 4 hexes off the west end of the map as no unit ever reaches there (or add some villages there to make it worthwhile).
    - randomize location where reinforcements appear, or make it depend on player unit placement.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal) with the Outlaws

5 at first, increased to 7 after killing the blue orc since I had to deal with two waves of enemies (and had to fight on two fronts), and then went down to 4 after the main enemy force had been dealt with

Clear

Fine. The enemy reinforcements when attacking purple and green were a nice touch, as was the extra gold for green when purple died (too bad Green never got to use said extra gold)

Main challenge: Repelling the attacks of Green and Purple without any significant losses. Secondary challenge: Killing the leaders, especially the Green one, since he didn’t leave his keep, unlike the other two.

Poison was quite annoying on the east side, since both my White Mages were with my main force dealing with Blue and then Green.

6 – just some more orcs

I think it’s fine as it is - at least as long as you have Outlaws in your army and a couple of White Mages

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Several times enemies got lucky with their attacks and managed to kill my main.

Now to try the Swamp option...
Attachments
TRoW-Централните_земи_повторение.gz
(31.54 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I appologize for not giving feedback in the requested format however it's been awhile since I actually played it but I do have feedback that I think might help. I have played through it a couple times on normal and once on hard.

Gameplaywise I rather prefer this scenario to the swamps. It's a much greater challenge and I like the tactics of wide field battles against vastly superior enemies. There is one problem though which is the reason why I've only been through it once on hard and that is that you cannot get a loyal white mage going this way. Although I appreciate having a challenging scenario, I don't neccesarily want to make the entire rest of the campaign much more difficult by choosing this path. This is also an issue for people going through the campaign for the first time who don't know that going through the swamps will provide them with a substancial long term advantage in addition to being an easier scenario.
-I think that the scenario would fit better into the campaign as a whole if it provided the player with some extra significant perk. This would make it so that the advice for the previous scenario's choice doesn't amount to 'choose the swamp unless you like pain' and give players both less chance to make an ignorant mistake or to have a preference in the style of battle they play.
-As for what the perk can be, it's hard to beat a loyal white mage. Maybe you can have it so that you pick him up anyway somehow, or possibly you could have the player find a significantly powerful artifact (maybe add a small ruined castle just to house it), or maybe the player could stumble onto some survivors which will manifest in the form of two loyal units that are just less useful than a white mage (fencers are not represented in the campaign and could be an option).

Just some thoughts for whomever is maintaining.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Hestelvar

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy. 1.13.4

5, without Wesfolk.

Couldn’t be clearer - defeat all enemy leaders.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Pretty good. However I felt
Southbay won’t fall without one hell of a fight, sir. They’ll stand to the last! I only wish I was there!
sounded a little too modern.

Forming a plan and sticking to it.

6, the map allows different strategies, and the lack of good defensive positions is challenging.

(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I second tr0ll’s suggestion to remove unvisited hexes from the map's edges, or provide incentives to visit.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Restarted after losing a couple of levelled mages due to poor placement and awful luck.

Remarks
It may have been luck or an AI issue, but the orcish assassins preferred to target units stationed on villages or backed by healers. I wasn’t complaining at the time, as this largely nullified the assassin’s threat, however the AI could be smarter.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Midlands_replay.bz2
(27.25 KiB) Downloaded 621 times