The Rise of Wesnoth 1 - A Summer of Storms

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 1 - A Summer of Storms

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 102 medium, 111 easy, 112a hard. (111 was fun, never even knew I was supposed to get the outlaw princess because the campaign wasn't working too well. I'll base most of what I saw on 112a hard and just mention that from now on.)
2. 6
3. Kill enemy leader, clear as day
4. It was fine, nothing wrong with it.
5. Trying to keep someone alive along enough to level up, in 112a I wasn't able to get anyone to level 2 before the scenario ended.
6. 4. It's an opening scenario, hard to make it thrilling so it's fine.
7. Maybe make it a little easier to get to the enemy leader. That mountain pass is pretty treacherous. It's really a minor thing though.

General comment about the campaign:
Is it just me, or are archers practically useless in this campaign? They always seem to die on me, the number of undead makes them not very useful... anyone else feel archers kinda suck in this campaign?
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: A Summer of Storms

Post by Zhukov »

1. What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium difficulty. Version 1.1.2a

2. How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Maybe about 2/10. Fighting outlaws in rough terrain can get annoying.

3. How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal clear.

4. How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very nice. So far, TRoW has the best dialog I have seen in any campaign. (Although maybe I just think that because I recently finished EI, which has awful dialog.) One thing I noticed is that when the enemy leader talks, sometimes you see the portrait and other times you only get the sprite. Is this intended?

5. What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Balancing my forces over the two battlefronts, of course the enemy allways picked on the weakest one.

6. How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7/10, I liked it.

7. What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give us Fencers to recruit! Or is there a storyline reason not to...?
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

1. What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy difficulty (I'm new, hehe!), version 1.1.2a

2. How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
1.5/10, I stupidly lost 2 units at the end, but it was very easy nonetheless.

3. How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Easy to follow

4. How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialog was very clear, and the storyline is looking good at the moment. I also have the Wesfolk Leader changing between portrait and sprite.

5. What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None... The enemy attempted to flank me, unfortunately for them, I was on the other side of the lake already.

6. How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8/10, good impressions

7. What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Have King Eldaric as a seperate leader... Makes the first mission harder because he goes gung-ho straight away?
samael

Post by samael »

1.0.2 easy

3, really easy but I really under estimate the fight ability of thieves (oops, loose another horseman)

It's always clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not bad. I like the story.

Get exp for units, earn gold.

3... It's a short introduction scenario. Good for exp and gold.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's a little bit too easy, give more gold to the thief leader ?
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 1.Human lancers were great against bandits and the King gave them Leadership
(3) Very clear. Just kill the enemy leader.
(4) Nothing special but it's just the first level of a long campaign
(5) Trying to get a lv2 unit.
(6) 4. Nothing special.
(7) A defensive position that can be easily used by the Wesfolks.
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
Imp

Post by Imp »

Medium, 1.2

2. I got lucky and the bandit leader went out to assault me by herself.

Crystal.

Very clear and interesting.

The weak leader. He is a so easy to kill!

7. Nothing special, but it was a pleasure trying to find a way between the mountains, even though I didn't even get that far.

Make the bandit leader smarter. Why did she go on a suicide mission?
stupac
Location: I stay in this place called 'rooms', there's a whole chain of 'em.

Post by stupac »

Medium 1.2

4, victory seems inevitable with superior force and resources. Plus 1 or 2 horseman can assassinate enemy leader

No brainer

Kept me interested, the Haldric's request to lead the forces into battle confused me a bit, I was almost thinking initially that he would be their on the front lines kind of leading, rather than sitting on the keep as a leader recruiting.

Dealing with pesky thiefs and footpads.

6, not overly interesting, but a good start for the campaign.

Nothing comes to mind
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 5
3) Clear
4) Okay, but I agree with the previous poster that Haldric-leading dialog could be phrased better. Perhaps "You will command our troops; I will be here to inspire our soldiers in the battle."
5) "killing" the wesfolk commander was tricky with my handful of L1 units, especially with units injured in the main fight and no mobile healing. Also I foolishly diverted part of my army east to rescue the single spearman I sent up the east side of the lake, which meant I was spread very thin.
6) 4 - straightforward intro scenario
7) -
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

Hard, 1.3.2
very
very
to be slow is the answer, if you try to go fast exposing at night you are lost
-
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. Meduim version 1.2.4
2. 1
3. Crystal Clear
4. Good explained the scenrio well
5. None :D
6. 7
7. Maybe tell haldric go to where the outlaw is in the 2 mission and there is a keep there and when he does the outlaw gets more reinforcements so there is more time to level up magi!
Isen

Post by Isen »

1.2.3, Hard

Pretty straightforward.

Mostly good, minus the slightly awkward father-son exchange at the start.

Underestimating the bandits. I sent two bowmen and a spearman up north to repel their drive into the villages. My brave warriors ended up holed up in a corner fighting for their life against two marauding footpads.

5. The narrow mountain pass was a bit painful.

-
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Bug report on first scenario: If you do 'scenario objectives', you get a very odd message:

A Summer of Storms: The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth
(4 squares in a row), Objectives changed = no

Sorta odd :x.
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium - 1.4.1
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
Joram

Post by Joram »

1.6.0 Hard

4- Not too difficult when I finally broke down and recruited more than one castle load.

Clear

Clear. Perhaps have a bit more dialogue at the beginning expressing surprise over the attack. The prince of Southbay just went off with a huge army to exterminate the Wesfolk, so there should be some surprise that they are now on the offensive (I'm assuming that word of something as interesting as the most massive army ever assembled on the island has reached Haldric's lands?). I think that some speculation on the part of Haldric and his father as to why the Wesfolk are here could add some interest to the opening. It would also link it to the prologue better by giving more continuity, and arouse curiosity in the player, as it is clear that there is something very unusual going on.

The fact that I didn't want to recruit more than 5 units. :)

Also, overestimating the amount of punishment that Eldaric can take. After watching him shrug off poachers, one forgets how comparatively vulnerable he is to impact.

8- Very fun. I like the map (especially with the updated forest graphics), and I generally like the early parts of a campaign best. Leveling units is always fun. Starting with a level 0 leader is really cool; it makes him even more of a priority for xp, and makes for an interesting game.

The opening dialogue would be changed, as per above. Something like this:

Eldaric: "It looks like a Wesfolk rabble have seized the Northern Keep! Prepare for battle, Haldric!"

Haldric: "Father, I am of age now. May I lead our forces in battle?"

Eldaric: "You're showing initiative, son! I'm proud of you! You may lead our forces to battle, but I'll stay near to keep an eye on you. This incursion of the Wesfolk disturbs me."

Haldric: "Why so? Don't they usually leap at chances to cause us trouble?"

Eldaric: "Yes, they do. But with the Crown Prince of Southbay attacking them with an army that by all rights should be able to destroy them off the face of the island, I'd have thought that they'd be too busy to arouse the animosity of other Kings."

Haldric: "Perhaps these are refugees fleeing his advance?"

Eldaric: "They'd be unlikely to flee towards us. That would be fleeing into the danger."

Eldaric: "In any event, idle conjectures won't help us at this point. We've got a battle to fight, and we can worry about all of that later. Haldric, rally the men and disperse that rabble."

Haldric: "Onward to victory!"

I know I'm nitpicking, and I don't pretend to be a good dialogue writer, but I think that this sort of thing would help the player to feel that the story is starting NOW, and that this is more than just a prologue to show Haldric "coming of age", or something like that.

EDIT: Something that occurred to me that I hadn't thought of before, is the issue of translation. Each change in the text will require a change in the text for every other language, wouldn't it? Which means that small changes in the text often aren't going to be looked at very favorably. Ah well. :(
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book