The Rise of Wesnoth 22 - The Rise of Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

ulfgur

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Rise of Wesnoth

Post by ulfgur » August 15th, 2012, 3:03 am

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
I'm not sure, but I believe it was the middle one on the select.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3... Once I cheated to get enough gold to recall my entire set of level 3 units. If I hadn't done this, 'twould have been an 11. I like the idea whoeveritwas proposed about a "Buffer" scenario to build gold.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very! I love the more intricate bits...

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good. By the end of the campaign, I had decided the main character (his name slips my mind now) is not an imbecile.

The major complaint I had was that Jeyvan was missing a comma in "Rise from the (insert location) my loyal servants!"... Perhaps I'm just a comma freak, but even if he is exclaiming something he would add a small pause: "Rise from the (insert location), my loyal servants!"

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
... Er... Thank goodness for Debug?

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6, which is a good grade from me.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Add a buffer scenario beforehand.

(8) Restarts?
Nope

(9) WML?
N/A

(10) Replay?
Not relevant. My tactics are abysmal, and would have the makers of the campaign weeping in despair.

Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 » July 19th, 2014, 8:02 pm

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.16, 430 starting gold (200 is minimum.)
(2) Difficult? 9.5, I had to replay the previous scenario for more gold. ~338 was not enough.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? The plot strains credibility, but doesn't quite break it, so it's good.
(5) Challenges? Phew, I feel fortunate to have beaten this scenario with no save-reloads. I also used no save-reloads at any point previous in the campaign.

For recruitment, I probably overdid it on the ready-to-level L1's plus not-so-ready-to-level L2's, but I was really trying to stretch my gold. I lost only one unit other than Aethyr, and by the end everyone was L3, so it worked out okay. I wound up benching my Great Mage, because he wasn't very effective when I lost this scenario, and I felt I had better L3's for the job.

I used a different strategy than in my previous review. This time, I sent everybody west initially. This has the advantage of having overwhelming force in a localized area. The screenshot below shows the situation at the start of my turn 9, when I had lured the western orc leader out with the bait of an Iron Mauler (who can't shoot back.) I slowed the orc leader with my Entangler, and then he was dead after a lightbeam and a charge.
Wesnoth - TRoW - Rise of Wesnoth - turn 9.jpg
I also had a Silver Mage, but he is out of the screenshot area.

After getting the west under control, I spread my forces back to the east, and then split my forces in two, to cross the two bridges.

The most painful part of this scenario is the bridges. A Cuttle Fish will appear and destroy a bridge if you have a unit within 8 hexes but not another within 2 hexes of a bridge (and no enemy is on the bridge.) I used the "Set Label" feature to mark the trigger zones, and I bent over backwards to avoid the trigger zones until most of the enemy was gone and I could easily put units within 2 hexes of the bridges. However, I forgot about the final bridge before the enemy leader, and that almost cost me the game, as it slowed Commander Aethyr down by a turn.

I wound up winning on the last turn, with Commander Aethyr having a 84% chance of dying as he shot his crossbow at the Lich. (One of the victory conditions is that the Lich has to kill Aethyr.) I then had no problem killing the Lich, because I had my whole army around him; two Paladins did the job.
(6) Fun? 10. What an epic battle. If it wasn't the final scenario, it would be too much, but for the finale, it's great. I love the Walking Corpse chorus, sounding like a bunch of frogs, though it sounds better with slower acceleration, which nobody is going to use for this huge scenario.
(7) Changes? I have a few suggestions:

1. When one of my units is killed it turns to Soulless, as designed, but this even happens on villages. I had assumed it would not, and was surprised to find I was wrong. I suggest you block that feature if the unit is on a village.

2. I don't like having to replay the previous scenario for more gold, when I did a pretty good job of getting gold the first time. I'm worried that many players will get stuck here. You could raise the minimum starting gold, but I think a better idea is to reduce the gold to the enemy, say by 20%. It will still be plenty hard.

3. Trigger zones make me unhappy. IMO, it would better if a Cuttle Fish were stationed (and visible) next to each bridge, with swamps in the surrounding areas, and if anyone moves within a Cuttle Fish's attack range, then he first blows the bridge and then attacks. So, you'd have to sneak up on him and kill him in one round to save the bridge. Units on the bridge when it's blown could just fall in the water and survive, because it's not really blown up but rather torn down by the Cuttle Fish. The reason this is different than a trigger zone is that the player would be able to hover his cursor over the Cuttle Fish to see the area he needs to avoid, rather than repeatedly counting hexes or using "Set Label" to put "X" marks all over the map.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Rise_of_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(183.46 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

Theron

Post by Theron » July 22nd, 2014, 12:07 am

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.16

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
22 200+293 28/39 0-21-1-4-203

Comments:
Splitting forces is a bad idea.
Choose a nice location for the main battle.
I used the „isle“ of black because it’s nearer to Jevyan.
I lost 2 Paladins in getting a foothold on the „isle“.
Nitpicking: Even after the death of Jevyan there still rise skeletons and Walking Corpses. Aren’t they summoned by Jevyan?
Attachments
TRoW-The_Rise_of_Wesnoth_replay_HARD.gz
(145.23 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

Sir_Bumpy

Post by Sir_Bumpy » December 11th, 2014, 5:52 am

Normal (Commander)
8. I had a decent chunk of starting gold, although I had to replay the previous hellish scenario to obtain it. Being able to recall most of my troops enabled me to hedgehog my way around the level. Still, I lost quite a few troops and had to restart a few times.
Complicated objectives, compared to other campaigns. Still, it was clear, especially because of the cutscene before.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
There wasn't a ton of dialogue, but for what was there, it was pretty good I guess.
Dealing with the stupid cuttlefish blowing up the bridge (I didn't bother tiptoeing around the trigger zone and just dealt with it). Also, the constant stream of enemies made progress extremely slow.
9. Unlike the previous scenario, this big battle wasn't as frustrating (no chocobones and not too many surprises). It was a big battle and I had a blast fighting my way to the end.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I would change the cuttlefish stuff. Unnecessary and somewhat uncalled for. Other than that, great scenario and a strong ending to a hard-won campaign.

taptap
Forum Regular

Post by taptap » April 23rd, 2015, 9:36 pm

Lord / challenging. 453 gold. Fun = spam, spam, surprise, spam. I handled the chocobones in the last scenarios just fine... but I don't enjoy this at all.

Somewhat frustrated that I can recall only a tiny fraction of my veterans. Went with 4 mermen and needed some time before I could deploy them properly, initial fight in swamp and plain, south of the encampment, while I was under pressure up north near the encampment. Killed all the cuttlefish, but had no trouble without bridges, finished turn 35/39. Now that I finished. It is good, it is over. Still pretty spammy, 250 kills in the final alone, only 1024 in the rest of the campaign. Overall 105 losses, which is good (I remember higher losses only in the much harder Panther Lord).

What happened to Burin after the adventure? Someone worked with that?

Whole campaign: Despite the tone of some of my comments I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, certainly one of the best in mainline. I did like the pacing in the first part better than in the second, earlier scenarios could be brutal (People in Decline, Rough Landing), but the last two scenarios dragged on too long, thanks to piecemeal reinforcement, after the main battle was fought (turn 10-27 in the Return of the Fleet, turn 20?-35 in The Rise of Wesnoth blasting through corpses). The campaign unfortunately features plenty of tomato surprises, some are harmless, some are annoying and some may lead to the player leaving in disgust, hardly one of them adds to gameplay, however. Harrowing escape is quite hard already and you may easily trigger this while an injured Haldric is exposed and no unit available to cover. Return of the fleet, don't mind the cuttlefish much, but the saurians would be better off as a faction (small keep!) in their own right + there seem to arrive much more chocos than I have seen on the clear map. The Rise of Wesnoth, I understand the undead hordes, the nagas, but why the cuttlefish? "Look a bridge! Hehehe." That is just outright teasing the player, who has zero chance to avoid this result without thorough testing / walkthrough reading and tailored recruitment. Lizard beach, you can make the naga appear as fixed reinforcement at turn x, but map-triggered reinforcements, always appear as clever ambushes that usually waited way too long and let their comrades fall before they engage (worst example is Crossroads of HttT), but punish unconventional play. Final spring is pretty easy, so maybe give the undead a chance by giving them a small camp and limited gold on arrival.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.

Thrash

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Thrash » February 3rd, 2018, 4:11 am

1.12.6, Normal

Complicated but clear.

Good.

Having no idea how to stop the cuttle fish from destroying the bridges and then realizing there was going to be no let up in enemy units and hence I was going to have to push over the water. Timing that for during the day it wasn't too bad though.

Something so that the bridge destroying could be reasonably prevented. Reading the wiki now I see there is some thing about unit placement but I don't know how the player is supposed to figure that out.
Attachments
(144.23 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Aldarisvet » July 9th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6

Ok I finished uploading.
The first goal was to save replays.
I do not remember how I passed many scenarios because it was months ago. Possibly I will add comments later.
I freshly finished The Rise of Wesnoth however.
At the beginning I thought that this scenario would be boring. I do not like massive battles in the end because you just sit in the frontline and kill the first and the same time the last wave of the enemy But finally it was not boring because of permanent waves and also because I was able to recruit many mages and use a leadership over them. I thought I totally defeated the enemy to the turn 10 but new waves still blocked my progress so I arrived to Jevian closely to the time limit.

I do not like most of mainline campaigns because of weak storylines and monotone gameplay, but this campaign is definitely worth playing.
I remember I played this campaign kinda 8 years ago but I was not able to find a mood to finish it in the stage of elvish quests. These 4 quest battles look needless for the storyline and make it too lenghty but still they are tactically challenging.
Attachments
(122.93 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see Zombies:Introduction single map campaign
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains