The Rise of Wesnoth: Temple of the Deep

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Temple of the Deep

Postby Hestelvar » August 19th, 2016, 1:27 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy. 1.13.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7, quiet unbalanced; Lenvan’s army is easy, but the Lich Lord himself is devastatingly strong.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Pretty clear. However
Retrieve the Fire Ruby (with Prince Haldric)
left me wondering whether I’d be able to recognise it.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Clear but minimal.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The Lich’s magical attack.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make more Tentacles emerge at intervals.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Haldric got killed by the Lich.

Remarks
I haven’t played BfW in a while so this may have changed, but a Mage of Light used to cast a (visible) halo around themselves. They still have the illuminates trait but no halo showed up on the map. Is it a bug?
Minor glitch; Haldric announces
He’s raising our dead!
even if it is Haldric who has been raised.
Attachments
TRoW-Temple_in_the_Deep_+Wesfolk_replay.bz2
(20.62 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Hestelvar

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Temple of the Deep

Postby Thrash » January 13th, 2018, 6:22 pm

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

1.12.6, Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

4 up to the point of beating the lich, then it jumps.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear. Thought by the time I got to the ruby, I forgot about it and wondered what the chest was.

The wiki confused me in talking about the holy water as I got the impression it should have been obvious from the start. Also, I found level 1 thugs more useful than the wiki implied since they do a lot of damage if you can protect them from the archers. I wasn't really sure who to give the holy water to, so I gave it to a new quick thug and it worked out well using him as a finisher of units that infantry or Burin weakened.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Beating the lich without losing key units as he's just hard to hit in his castle so you can spend turns making no-to-little progress while getting blasted with his devastating ranged attack. I didn't have enough 50+ hp units to absorb enough attacks to wear him down and got very lucky at one point with him missing 2/3 to not lose a unit. I think the thing to do is sacrifice a unit and lure him out where he is easier to hit.

Holding the south side of the water was fairly easy once I realized and adjusted to the skeletons not constraining themselves to the bridges. After the first wave, there is enough of a gap to advance to the choke points. I thought about trying to grab the choke points at the start, but then I realized Burin was the only unit fast enough to do so and beat a quick retreat.

Burin is such a natural unit for this level, but I've already got him at level 3 so it was a bit of a struggle not to have him take too much XP.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

6, interesting layout.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I still like the idea of tentacles appearing later in the scenario. Also, maybe a few more undead from some random place at the end (guarding the ruby?), as anything but a tough unit is at risk trying to approach the lich and this would them something to do.
Attachments
TRoW-Temple_in_the_Deep_replay.gz
(53.11 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Thrash

Previous

Return to The Rise of Wesnoth