Scenario Review: Liberty 4 - Unlawful Orders

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

flammstrudel

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 4 - Unlawful Orders

Post by flammstrudel » May 1st, 2013, 5:52 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.2 Fugitive (difficult) – no reloads

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3/10

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
First I went poacher heavy. Ouch. Otherwise an easy scenario.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7/10 The human/ undead metamorphosis made it quite entertaining.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make dark adepts change into mages and vice versa. And it could be a little bit harder, give them 60 gold around turn 6 or 7, this way you can fight one more wave before you kill the leader.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
see (5)

Linthar

Post by Linthar » August 7th, 2014, 3:31 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 Difficult

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialog at the start of the scenario was strong until the enemy randomly transformed into undead, and then nothing made any sense at all, and the explanation at the end really doesn't explain anything. Who cursed them? They seem to be working for Asheviere except that in HttT while Asheviere had plenty of orcs they were never any signs that she was allied with necromancers so she should have had no way to curse them, and in fact the way it's described the curse seems to originate from some entity that took offense at Eldred's betrayal, so why were they allowed to just keep working for Asheviere after being cursed? Why where they only cursed at night? Why did they recruit dark adepts when they aren't supposed to be necromancers. And all of this nitpicking is nitpicking with the advantage of the explanation at the end of the scenario. The first transformation comes completely out of nowhere and is incredibly confusing when it happens. The whole thing heavily feels like someone thought of a cool idea gameplay wise for a scenario then hastily tried to write a plot that would allow theme to use it.

The flat open terrain is rough playing as outlaws, but the enemy was quite manageable, especially having an ally to help. The change to undead while surprising didn't really make things any harder. I already had a impact heavy army before I knew what was going to happen.

4. I spent more time trying to figure out what on earth was up with the undead then I did actually strategizing how to fight them.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The humans shifting to undead and back is a neat concept, but it really needs to have a better in world explanation.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

dabber

Post by dabber » August 20th, 2014, 7:12 pm

1.11.16 Fugitive (difficult), 314 starting gold

2 - Difficulty was mainly allocating experience, not winning.

Clear.

I liked the idea and the scenario, but the undead transformation part didn't feel legit.

None ... its easy.

It needs some element to give it a challenge. You have ideal defensive position and the enemy wastes themselves against you. Then you walk over and bash the leader.

No

fareley

Post by fareley » January 1st, 2015, 6:37 pm

1.12.0 Hard no reloads

They are okay, kill the enemy leader.

Was fine

I knew that the guys would transform at night, so I was able to recruit accordingly. If I hadn't remembered it woulda been a pain.

7 - A straight up mission with a twist at night :)

It is a lot of fun already.

The first time I engaged too late when the enemy held the forest. Even though it was at night it ended badly. Also I recruited Poachers, which were a huge mistake. There appears to be a lot of luck involved with how your ally engages the enemy on the first turns.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Attachments
Liberty-Unlawful_Orders_replay.gz
(36.03 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

tr0ll

Post by tr0ll » November 14th, 2016, 2:11 am

1.13.6 normal

very

clear, it is strange that Lord of Elensefar lets you take his villages

none

a few more enemies

no
Attachments
Liberty-Unlawful_Orders_replay.gz
(27.98 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

Konrad2

Post by Konrad2 » May 9th, 2018, 11:53 am

1.14.0, Difficult

Very much.

Clear, although Elensefar is somewhat weak.

Noticing that I am forced to rush towards the enemies if I want to win within the turn limit.

5, an army that has always strong dmg is a nice concept.

A last breath for the enemy lieutnant.

I held back in my first run before noticing how short this scenario is with a turn limit of 16 turns.
Attachments
Liberty-Unlawful Orders replay.gz
(29.14 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
I am a Ghost: I drain the life energy from other people to survive and am hated/feared by regular people. Non-regular people don't like me either though.