Scenario Review: South Guard 8a - Return to Kerlath

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: South Guard 8a - Return to Kerlath

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
gruush

Re: Scenario Review: South Guard 8a - Return to Kerlath

Post by gruush »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? - Easy
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) - 6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? - Crystal clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? - Not a terribly involved scenario, but they don't all have to be!
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? -Time
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) -6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? - I think the time restriction on this one was a little tough. My first time through, I didn't exactly run north pell-mell, but I didn't dawdle unnecessarily either. I made it to the bandit fort about 2/3 of the way up, and was at turn 20 before I realized that there was still another 1/3 of the screen to the north. I think that either the # of turns should be increased somewhat, or the text could be changed a bit to make it even more clear that you have to pass the bandit encampment and get to the next thing beyond it.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? - time
Rogrog

Post by Rogrog »

1. Hard - version 1.4.1

2. 2 - I went up with a big army expecting heavy resistance - what I got was about five units that I killed quickly and walked on by.

3. Very clear. I would have added one of those marker things to make it even more explicit that touching the north edge of the screen ends the mission, but this worked too.

4. Not terribly interesting, but it made sense in the context of the scenario.

5. None really, it was too easy and straight forward.

6. 4 - not very, just because it's so easy.

7. Bulk up the bandits, they're just way too easy to steamroll over as it is. The time limit is fine (might even be lowered, say you're running out of supplies or something). I completed the scenario on turn 12/18, and if I hadn't built up my forces for a few turn, I could have easily done it on 10/18.

8+9. No problems here, and I haven't looked at the code.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Soldier (Normal) 1.5.6

2. There are only a handful of bandits, and my unit are all level 3 by this point.

Crystal. Head north.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Short and simple, it covers the point of the South Guard returning to the borders of human lands, and one last effort by the bandits to take them out. But they cannot, as the South Guard that Deoran first arrived at has been transformed from a rabble into a fighting force.

None.

3. Few enemies, and most of the time is spent moving and fighting off the odd enemy straggler as they trickle down.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More enemies. Even on this difficulty, the player's force should be fairly strong by now.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Took a look, looks fine as it is.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.9.6, top difficulty, 322gp

As previously said, a few footpads is not a challenge at all.

finished in turn 10/18, 0 losses 9 kills

4, I doubt bashing footpad children with my veterans can give a ton of satisfaction

Strengthen the bandits
Attachments
TSG-Return_to_Kerlath_replay.gz
(25.9 KiB) Downloaded 816 times
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Version 1.9.9, Normal difficulty.

Clear.

I was confused as to who the Trapper was talking to. Especially because I couldn't see the trapper. I suggest adding a [redraw] tag before the dialog starts because Ethiliel causes the shroud to go away far enough for you to see him.

I had no trouble. This scenario was a walk in the park, and I've got a recall list full of level 2's that I haven't been using.

3. To boring. It was a dull walk up to the bandits castle, and another dull walk up to Kerlath.

By now, the player probably has a bunch of leveled up units, so enabling the outlaw to recruit level 2s would be nice.

(8) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
It's good.
Attachments
(32.53 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
taptap

Post by taptap »

Soldier (most difficult = normal), 1.9.9

Sadness about this unnecessary killing.

1 - It is murder. (They can't even fight back against my elf army, even when recruiting L2 units.)

Make the bandits runaway upon seeing my army and let them leave the map on the left.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

taptap wrote: (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Make the bandits runaway upon seeing my army and let them leave the map on the left.
ahhaha that will be truly non-standard map, I like it though)))
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Hardest, 1.8.6

1. These few bandits never posed a threat to an army that just killed a Lich! The scenario was just mindless murder of vastly inferior units who threw themselves suicidal at an Army that just returned victorious from an epic battle.

Very clear

Uhm... dialogue? the little dialogue that appears could easily fit in the scenario description of the previous or next scenario

None. There was no challenge at all

1. It is mindless murder and suffers from the same "disease" as "A Desperate Errand": after half the scenario the enemy is dead because he simply is in the way of reaching the goal and the rest is just mindless moving units around. A first player doesn't know that nothing more happens and moves all units just in case some enemy appears. which makes the moving even more tedious.

Remove the map entirely. The map is completely pointless (much like the "Tidings good and ill" map and the only purpose seems to be that the number of scenarios in the bandit-branch and the elves-branch are the same.
If not removing: make the enemies harder. I actually felt bad murdering these people and it was murder not defense because the enemies were virtually defenseless against the vastly superior army, much like the equivalent of unarmed civilians against armed forces.

nope
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
Diffuclty: 4
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue: Good
Challenges: None really, there was plenty of forest for me to take advantage of. I didn't even need the ally at the top.
Fun:7
Changes: none
Reloads: none
Fate is against me.
Cabrillo

Post by Cabrillo »

1.10, hardest
1: No kidding, this posed no challenge at all
Very
Totally clear, not particularly interesting
I had none
About a 3. I enjoy scouting with my invisible units, so there's that.
I think players could handle a little more difficulty here. The bandits attacked Kerlath directly! That doesn't make sense with their goals. If they had gone after me alone this might have been more fun.
Nope
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Sorry, don't know it.
Attachments
(28.1 KiB) Downloaded 805 times
Kaiserdrache

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Normal, 1.10.

Crystal clear.

Clear and boring.

There is a challenge?

Give me some enemies! I played the south guard campaigns a couple of times now and by the time for this scenario the player already has very experienced troops. Recalling a single castle of level 3's is more than enough to deal with the enemies. Either give them more gold or make the starting units tougher.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Mainly easy but also medium 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

Even as a newbie 2.

Head north, kill the enemy leader..

The storyline in general was okay but for the scenario it didn't make much sense. Deoran is heading back to his command post in the north, there's guards, but just a dozen or so hexes to the south there's this bunch of bandits just hanging out in the forest?

None.

Okay so the newbie player gets a chance to recall levelled units, once again use the stealth of the Elvish bodyguards and perhaps find out how a level 3 Royal Guard, Halbardier or Master Bowman stands up to a Thug or level 2 Trapper or Outlaw but the novelty quickly wears off.

Having never gone down the bandit route through this campaign I cannot say whether that route is more challenging but here having taken the Elvish route this is where it falls apart.

The South Guard is a novice campaign with a lot of potential - not just for introducing people to the basic elements of Wesnoth gameplay but also, due to its length, it could be a good campaign for players to come back to as a tool for developing and building on their individual styles and gameplay strategies through the Loyalist faction, the largest and most diverse of all the factions.

The first scenario is good at introducing the two basic units, the importance of the night and day cycle, the concept of lawful and chaotic, and follows on from the tutorial.. But then the novice player in the second scenario is given a White Mage with not much explanation, in the third a Cavalier and the chance to recruit Cavalrymen without any explanation as to how or why and much of the campaign is spent fighting enemies the units are ill equipped to fight in less than favourable conditions - a forest, a cave and mountains (as in Vale of Tears).

Then we come to this scenario and the victory conditions are what? Moving one unit to the top of the map?

You can do so many things to make this scenario interesting.. How about, for example, instead of bandits have a keep of Orcs and Trolls? A longer map with two enemy keeps evenly spaced? A fight between two factions in the middle? Or even how about the bandits attacking the allied units at the outpost?

No, not really.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Soldier (aka the highest difficulty) 1.10.7

Pretty clear.

This scenario is pure filler. It could be replaced with two sentences. Deoran's troops went north. They heard rumors of troubles with the elves. There is no reason this needs to be a scenario.

There were none. An enemy that starts with only 100 gold and still recruits some level 1 units is a joke at this point in the campaign. The shroud actually makes this level easier rather then harder. It prevents you from realizing the enemy is an absurd joke, and causes you to massively over recruit your hardened veterans. The time limit is slightly tight if you stop to kill everything, but you leader is mounted, the path north is a road, and if you just wanted to run by the bandits there most certainly isn't any way they are going to be able to stop you.

2. There's no point in this scenario other then presenting the mismatch of the century.

Remove the scenario entirely. I literally cannot think of any point to this scenario. It's impact on the plot is almost non existent, it is one of the easiest scenarios I've ever played, and it doesn't even serve much point in terms of campaign length as removing it would leave the elf branch being 8 scenarios long which would still leave it equal length to the bandit branch. It can be somewhat salvaged by making the enemy an actual threat, but this is not a scenario I would be sad to see go.

No, not in the slightest.
kiss

Post by kiss »

22 turns and 9 needed to reach north with Deoran. 16 villages to take.

Strategy: One recall turn and reach center keep

Turn 1, ..., 11: Over and nothing really interesting.

Civilian (beginner) 1.10.7

Clear.

It's ok.

None.

3 Not that fun.

Perhaps something more difficult?

None.

Sorry, I don't.
Attachments
(21.5 KiB) Downloaded 723 times