South Guard 8b. The Tides of War

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

silent

Re: South Guard 8b. The Tides of War

Post by silent »

stupidjaguar wrote:I played on Hard, 1.6.4 - I found the level very difficult. It's a mainline campaign, so all the objectives, dialogue, and fun-factor are fine (though it's never fun to get beaten so badly by skeletons).

I feel very bad seeing the people who find this level easy. I do not find it easy at all. The walkthrough suggested that I used footpads and thugs, which I would have done anyway. However, even with the 4 mages that appeared on turn 11 (since I finished on turn 13 in the last level), I still found the stacks of undead impossible to get through. The undead chewed through Minister Hylas, the Arch Mage, and one of the White Mages, as well as every footpad and thug I threw at it. A Halberdier that I eventually got was good for taking out Necromancers, but Outlaws and Bandits all inevitably died. There were too many Draugs, too many shadows. Am I just bad at Wesnoth? To tell the truth, I have never beaten any campaigns on Hard, and only Liberty and HttT on Medium. I thought I would try my hand at TSG to see if I could beat it on hard. Obviously I couldn't. I've gotten through DiD and NR without cheating, albeit on Easy, but still... why is this level so hard? Even with the few units I had left, I know I could have taken the draugs and other enemies left (about 7 or 8) but the Lich just kept recruiting more, 2 chocobones or draugs or bone shooters or necromancers every turn... he has enough income to serve him forever. I was frustrated and got rid of the saves. I was doing fine until this scenario... sorry if I sound whiny or naive
I think what would help you is to first recruit a few cavalry to go take all the villages on your half of the map. Then proceed to recruit footpads, and any veterans as damage soakers (royal guards, cavaliers). Attempt to split M'Brin's forces so that half try to cross the river and half cross the bridge (those loyal mermen, particularly if you made the hunter a netcaster, will help you achieve this goal). Keep footpads in 70% def terrain where possible too.
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

Most villages on my half of the map were already taken. I sent the Silver Mage to go around taking the rest, and then he joined the front. I recruited footpads for several turns until my gold ran out. Then I could recruit 2 per turn (with about 30 income). I did not level my mermen as there wasn't a lot of water for them to be that useful. I still had the two loyals from the first scenario, but I know if I sent them out (in fact I sent one), they would be butchered eventually. 70% terrain helped a little, but even that cannot save footpads from 12 Draugs, with an assortment of Bone Shooters, Shadows, and Necromancers.
I am of two minds; I shall be complete when I can bring them into harmony.
Zubb

Post by Zubb »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard 3/3 1.8
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
absolutely
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Was a bit dull, IMO?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
none
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4 good to end the campaign, but this was way too easy, even compared to previous scenario. I never ever defended against ''huge undead horde'', I just steamrolled the enemy, with mages blowing up Draugs, thugs and footpads clearing the rest. I killed the lich at 14, when it run out of the castle to blow up a royal guard. That was a bit sad, because 'teh relieve force' of mages arrived turn 13, and they were supposed to be saving my back, not watching me finish the job.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make Lich at least as powerful as in previous scenario?
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, top difficulty, 304gp, no reloads

"6". Not a tough one, it actually went pretty smooth but this is b/c I know how to do it. For a novice player, it can really become impossible to win, as you are obviously overwhelmed by the undead, so the only way to win is to outskill them chosing the right moves, using terrain/daycycle to your advantage, knowing weaknesses of the enemy and having a good stratgic plan overall. On the other hand, if you are that new to Wesnoth play easier difficulty level and/or chose elven branch, should be fine.

I played a bit recklessly, and lost more units than I could (both mermen and too many outlaws), but I was like "whatever, it's the last scenario and it looks I win anyway".

Finished in turn 30/60, 30 losses, 64 kills

A ton of undead.

8, it looks great to me.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
great as is
Attachments
TSG-The_Tides_of_War_replay.gz
(52.3 KiB) Downloaded 1164 times
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1.8.6, hardest

7. It is clearly not impossible, but no cakewalk either

Very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear and interesting. This scenario is WAAAAAAY more satisfying than the counterpart from the elven branch!

Surviving the first rush of the enemies

8. Very fun! It gives you the feeling of actually having achieved something, not like the end in the elven branch where you think you cheated to win

None, it is fine as it is!
Seldam

Post by Seldam »

Civilian (easy); 1.10.5

Everything was clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
I found the ending very good. I think that was a successful scenario and ending.

To survive the first 14-16 rounds.

There is nothing to change.
Attachments
DS-Der_Preis_des_Sieges_Seldam.gz
A replay for someone who needs help.
(64.07 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

"Normal" difficulty, Version 1.11.2.

6. I was gonna say 7, but it got easy once the council came.

Go get him!

Great.

Draugs are menacing.

8. A great finale.

None.

(8) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Excellent.
Attachments
(53.26 KiB) Downloaded 834 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Hard 1.10.4

3. because even when I decided not to use my brain and just spam footpads and not really analyze too much (thus every single one of my mages died) I still won by recruiting so many footpads that it just overwhelmed the enemy like a flood when I finally brought them all forward to mal m'brin.

very very clear

Pretty interesting.. I was imagining in my head that the whole city/town of westin was getting pissed and every time people struck down any undead I would imagine them saying 'for westin! take that you silly undead!'

Draugs take hell of a long time to kill and the shadows ambush at night and can skirmish.

9.Very very good way to teach novice players that the undead are definitely not invincible. and its fun to see so many units level so quickly from killin level 3 and level 2 enemies.

Maybe add more drama and make mal m'brin a really evil guy. Perhaps as the people finally surround Mal M'brin there would be a dialog like: 'So you're the one responsible for all this! You deserve to die!' and then mal m'brin says 'fools! you are no match for my power! It is you all who shall die!'

(8) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
pretty realistic geography it does look like how the place looks like on the wesnoth map. it's a plausible landscape
firefox

Post by firefox »

-> 1.11.16, easiest difficulty (I haven't played for over a year)

-> 7 or 8

-> very clear

-> good, but I didn't understand why Minister Hylas was not present.
Also Deoran or Mebrin could say something at the end.
When I killed Mebrin the scnerario ended instantly and then i was told what happened afterwards.
I think Mebrin should have some last words.

-> Well, my recall list was gone without explanation. I could use only fresh recruits aggainst lv2 units.

-> 8 or 9

-> I missed Minister Hylas ...
Mebrin should have some dialogue text. To make things more dramatic he could say something about Sir Gerrick.
may the source be with you
=(^.^)= nyan~
kiss

Post by kiss »

60 turns, the longest one.
Mefel? I never seen him in Star Treck! One more amazing idea.
Again it's difficult for me to read the map, a lot of possibilities. Two free villages. Water in the middle. A lot of villages in the southwest. 1 free village in the center. 3 villages to defend south from the river.
I do not like my castle shape, it looks like something will come from west. Elves to fight against me?

Strategy: Send thugs and footpads over the river for the first fight. Use Mefel to take the 2 villages in the north side. Send Jarek to take some free villages in the southwest.

Turn 1: Damn.

Turn 2, 3: I have to try some moves wiht Mefel and Jarek.

Turn 4, 5: The help is welcome, and my try works fine.

Turn 6, ..., 39: Over.

Civilian (beginner) 1.10.7

Clear.

I found surprising Mal M'Brin was here, wasn't he died on the previous scenario? Perhaps it's lich's behaviour?

I was about restarting in the middle of the fight because I found I do so badly.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 10
Mefel is fun.

Perhaps one more guy like Mefel?
Attachments
(40.86 KiB) Downloaded 890 times
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Soldier (aka the highest difficulty) 1.10.7

Clear.

It's kind of strange that the main villain of the entire campaign doesn't have a single line of dialog during the final battle. The epilogue is good, but the dialog of the scenario itself feels lacking for a final battle, just being 4 or 5 lines, not one of which actually mentions the villain (I'm not counting saying the undead army is here as mentioning Mal M'Brin.).

The enemy starts with an absurd amount of gold and is able to summon a ridiculous number of level 2 and 3 undead. My recall list didn't have enough veterans (especially since scenarios 6 and 7 are either difficult or impossible to level up units in) to stand a chance of facing that head on. (About 15 turns into the scenario the enemy had recruited 8 level 3 units and 29 level 2 units. For comparison I had 4 level 3's and 5 level 2's in my recall list. A bit of a mismatch there.) The strategy I found that worked was to flood the enemy with foodpads, at both places where they would try to cross the river. I took horrible horrible losses, but I could recruit one or two each turn, and bought myself enough time for the council to arrive (Barely enough time though. I had totally lost control of the bridge to the east, and the situation around the Westin itself was starting to heavily resemble a last stand). Their ability to kill undead really quickly plus the fact that the enemy had finally lost most of their first wave and were now trickling more units in slowly was enough to turn things around, and I had enough breathing room to recall my veterans to help push the enemy back. Even then it was one long running fight all the way to the enemy keep since the enemys income meant he was constantly recruiting every turn.

10. It's the largest scale battle I've played so far, and one of the most challenging. Makes for a pretty epic ending for the campaign. Plus the action doesn't ever stop in this map.

I'd improve the dialog to make it actually feel like the end of the campaign. Have Deoran metion that Mal M'Brin has come in person and this is their chance to finish him off, have Mal M'Brin taunt the heroes about how they are going to die or something else along those lines, just do something to actually highlight that you are finally fighting the Big Badguy of the campign.
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

[5 quote="Content Feedback"](1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?[/quote]

(1) v1.12.5 Hard
(2) 2. Quite easy. I have more money than the AI in the beginning. So it's unreasonable to lose. 60 turns is too much for me. I only spent 26 turns to win it -- not as much as half of the turn limit.
(3) Very clear -- to kill the king.
(4) It's interesting and let me feel release -- I have gradually reached the end. Now the south of Wesnoth is in a great peace.
(5) Nearly no challenge. Maybe the only to small challenges are: to keep the villages in the southwest of the map, and to efficiently kill the undead, especially for the fast chocobones and the nightgaunts. You must stop the shadows and nightgaunts from attacking you with backstab.
(6) 6.
(7) Maybe it's really too easy. It doesn't seem like a final combat. Make it harder!
Attachments
TSG-The_Tides_of_War_replay.bz2
(40.1 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Soldier (Normal), 1.14.0

Kinda...3. The terrain advantage makes a lot of difference.

100%

It was interesting, although I have to wonder why the great Council of Westin is not based in Westin..?

Not being stupid.

4? It's very straight and there are no surprises. There is not even a last breath of Mal M'Brin.

Add a last breath of Mal M'Brin and maybe some ambush guards?
TSG-The Tides of War replay.gz
(44.42 KiB) Downloaded 721 times

EDIT:
Updating because of the new TSG.
Mind you, it's probably not exactly the same as the TSG online because the replay is from the playtesting phase.
Attachments
TSGr-The Tides of War replay.gz
(47.78 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.6, Soldier (Normal)

5, it was very easy to imagine everything going wrong

Clear.

I like both.

Dealing with the first enemy wave without incurring crippling losses.

7, I like how the enemy gets 15 gold per kill.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Campaign stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TSG-The Tides of War replay 20201111-214602.gz
(49.97 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.2 Soldier/Normal
7. Mostly because I stubbornly kept trying to play aggressively from the start. Once I gave in and used a more defensive starting strategy, it went much better!
very
I liked it. Most of the real drama happened in Pebbles in the Flood, but I like flavor of the bandit units being the key to victory in this scenario and then "learning their lesson" and going back to being good citizens in the epilogue.
I just kept trying to rush it and cross the river on the first few turns, and kept getting slaughtered. Once I slowed down and let them come to me, it was much easier.
8. You get a lot of gold, it's a big complicated map, you finally get access to some real FIREPOWER when the city council arrives. It creates some interesting strategic considerations when you're deciding when to recruit your units, which ones to choose, whether to send them to the eastern or western fronts, when to push across the river, etc. Someday, I want to replay this campaign and see if I can make it to this scenario with 4-5 merfolk Netcasters/Entanglers, because there are points in this scenario where you could hypothetically sneak them around the edge of the map through the swamps and pull off a dramatic assassination.
The first few turns were mostly just me sitting around and waiting for the undead. It could be interesting if some ghouls pop out of a sewer in your castle at some point, or some other surprise. But that would just be icing on the cake, I like it already.
Attachments
TSG-The Tides of War replay 20220330-060138.gz
(49.1 KiB) Downloaded 79 times