South Guard 7b. Pebbles in the Flood

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

South Guard 7b. Pebbles in the Flood

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. Hard 1.1.1
2. 10... it's impossible! :roll:
3. A little unclear...
Dialogue says:
Cannot win, keep sir gerrick and Urza alive as long as possible.
But Victory says hold line long as possible... should tie those two together... Scenario ends when both heroes die or something.
4. Clear, interesting, and full of suicidial idiots!
5. Beating the impossible... That's a challenge, did make it past... 13 rounds I think?
6. 7, holding out as long as possible against impossible odds is a blast. The only way to 'win' is to kill more of them before they kill your last man. :D Though I would have liked a few more higher level units...
7. Seems fine, other than slightly confusing objectives.

Pebbles in the flood... could use a better name maybe...
"Hero's End" (refering to gerrick)
"The Underdogs"
"Valiance and Sacrifice"
Just to throw a few out, I like "Valiance and Sacrifice" the best.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Kvasir
Code Contributor

Post by Kvasir »

1) easy 1.0.2
2) 9
3) tell holding the line equals keeping Gerrick alive
4) interesting
5) wraights
6) 10
7) maybe limit the number of thugs you can recruit
cordobatim

Post by cordobatim »

(1) Easy 1.0.2
(2) 5. After 65 turns, I got bored and forced an end; it took me two tries, though
(3) Objectives weren't very clear to me, which is why I messed up the first time. I'm still not sure if anything that is done in this scenario affects the rest of the campaign
(4) Very interesting
(5) Figuring out the point.
(6) 5
(7) I'd like what goes on in this scenario to somehow affect the next one. I'd also like some secondary objectives; try to keep them from capturing a certain village or keep them from advancing down the road, etc. [I backed Gerrick into a corner, surrounded by units. In the end, he had two skeletons next to him that were afraid to attack him. Could have gone on forever had I not decided to end it.]
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

In the next release you'll see clearer objectives.
Also the men from this scenario will no-longer be recruitable in the next.

How long you last does effect the next scenario. If you last 8, 12, 18, or 32 turns various nice things happen to make the next scenario easier including more pre-captured villages, special reinforcements, and better fortifications.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
PieterW

Re: South Guard 7b. Pebbles in the Flood

Post by PieterW »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
1: 1.1.2 hard
2: 3 it doesn't matter if you win or lose, lets just fix it next scenario
3: clear
4: interesting, it would be cool if you would get surprises with units suddenly coming out of nowhere, say something heroic, die and buy you half a turn
5: there are no objectives
6: 3
7: make a minimum of turns, it's not fun if you know you can fix everything you do wrong in the next scenario, perhaps it would be more fun if you would get a fortress with a bottleneck so you can hold out longer instead of getting wiped out in 4 turns, then spend some more turns running and being lucky with your hero
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

- Easy 1.1.2a

- 8, it was a good opportunity to see what the 'zone of control' actually is and practice using it

- clear enough

- It was good, it could use more dialog, as always, such as the different captains and soldiers shouting encouragement to each other as they are slaughtered. "Tell Wendy I love her!!" etc.

None really, I spread my troops out thin and lasted 14 turns

- 9, very fun

- Cant think of anything!
peet

Post by peet »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. Difficulty-Medium. Version: 1.1.11, I think.
2. How hard was it? To last a while, not too hard, maybe a 4... though how long is "good?" To actually beat the level... a 10.
3. Quite Clear
4. Storyline is fine, but only affects the beginning of the scenario.
5. Healing units is difficult in this scenario, as is fighting some types of undead, like wraiths.
6. I enjoyed it, frustrating as it was. I'd say 7.5
7. Some reward needs to be given if you actually manage to defeat the undead. It was insanely difficult, but on Medium after many tries I managed to pull this off on turn 35 or 36. Of course, if you do that, the scenario hangs... it cannot end until sir Gerrick dies, and that cannot happen if all the bad guys are dead, so all you can do at that stage is just keep hitting "end turn," or restart the scenario and go back to a turn where there are still bad guys.

For example, if you manage to kill both enemy leaders, some more bad guys could show up (possibly they are attacking Westin via another route), and Gerrick could decide to head to Westin to warn them, in which case you get to use Gerrick in the next scenario.

Peet
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

1. Easy, 1.1.x
2. 10. It is impossible to beat the enemy here.
3. Very clear
4. Storyline? Hmm, quite nice, really makes me want to cry when Gerrick actually has to die (considering that I have leveled him up to an infantry commander and after that one more lvl up to him)
5. Holding the line (yes, there is only a line) steadfast against the undead with the occasional wraiths crossing the cave walls.
6. I give...9. (It could have been 10, but I believe there is always room for improvement). This scenario is different from most other scenarios, and I had fun owning up those undeads and even leveling up a HI...until the draugs came.
7. Allow recruitment of HI and/or mages. Also as peet wrote, give reward if somehow you manage to kill all undead leaders.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

(1) Easy, 1.3.12
(2) 8, it was a challenge figuring out how to extend Gerrick's lifespan.
(3) Seems pretty simple to me. Hold off the enemy as long as you can.
(4) Very good. It was a bit sad, watching the last stand.
(5) Getting as many kills as possible.
(6) 9, a very different scenario, and I like it.
(7) Can't think of anything.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
delirium

Post by delirium »

Huh? I held out for 71 turns with 6 highwaymen, who were good against the Draugs and Bone Shooters. My fugitive was my hit and run attack unit, and in the end after obtaining 400 gold I launched a massive thug attack. Both lichs died after half my force was destroyed, but I ended up killing everything with 23 thugs, 5 bandits, and 7 highwaymen left. It doesn't do anything. I killed everyone. What do I do now? This is irritating.
delirium

Post by delirium »

Oh, and by the way, here's my report:
1. Hard - 1.3.14
2. Way too easy
3. Very clear - Just hold out and defend
4. Good, seemed like Sir Gerrick was doomed to die, but he didn't.
5. Killing the damn ancient lich who had like 100 income per turn and recruited draugs, boneshooters, shadows, and occasionally, wraiths.
6. It was a challenge of my abilities, and I really liked it. 8.
7. What if the player beats the Lichs? Some super special reward? I think you should either modify it so it is absolutely impossible (e.g. two ancient lichs with equal recruiting abilities) or create something in result to defeating the lichs.

Now I'm pressing end turn again and again... I wonder what reinforcements Deoran has by now (Turn 241). Wait, he doesn't need any. No more undead as far as I know. :D
delirium

Post by delirium »

Oh, here's an early save:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/19/ ... Turn_84.gz
It's an 1.3.14 compressed saved. Just load it accordingly.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

delirium wrote:7. What if the player beats the Lichs? Some super special reward? I think you should either modify it so it is absolutely impossible (e.g. two ancient lichs with equal recruiting abilities) or create something in result to defeating the lichs.
True, if the player somehow manages it, then there should be something special happening. Like the campaign ending at that point, with a different epilogue. That can't happen before 1.4, though, so we could just make the liches practically impossible to beat in the meanwhile.
delirium

Post by delirium »

Hmm, I don't think "impossible" is really achievable. What if the player has lots of highwaymen in his recall list? I don't know. One way is to leave the scene as is, and if the player beats the lichs, have an ending saying that a more powerful lich kills him without the player having a choice. In such a case, Deoran should have strong reinforcements by then.