South Guard 7a. Into the Depths

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Re: South Guard 7a. Into the Depths

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth » July 20th, 2019, 5:38 pm

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.7 on Soldier/Normal.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8. Had to go back a few turns on more than one occasion.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I liked it. The confrontation between Ethiel and Mal M'Brin was good. The trolls were as you'd expect trolls to be. I was expecting more to come of the eyestalk monster at the start, it seemed like the scene was being set for more exotic monster - but in the end, it was just generic undead.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The terrain is pretty horrible, with lots of water that you need to push through, and some nasty chokepoints that slow down your advance.

Because of high movement costs, visibility was poor, and more than once I lost a valuable unit to units emerging from beyond where I could see, which was a bit of a pain.

The fight at the end, against Mal M'Brin, was a challenge. I ended up swarming his units with Elvish Fighters to keep my stronger units safe. By the time I got past the Draugs and to Mal M'Brin, my arcane heavy hitters were all heavily damaged, and taking him down was difficult.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
3. I'm not really a fan of cave scenarios at the best of times, as they take away from the day-night cycle of combat, and tend to be slow slogs across bad terrain and through chokepoints. This one was the same.

I did like having some trolls to fight on my side, though.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Making the map better. Make the chokepoints a little wider, add more fords in the water sections, and add sections where light is shining down from above that encourage more tactical positioning.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.