South Guard 6b. The Long March

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

podbelski

Re: South Guard 6b. The Long March

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.9.6, top difficulty, 408gp, no reloads

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
"3". As per 1.9, I don't see what can be "tough" in this scenario. Just recall/recruit some troops and quickly follow the path, avoiding deeper forest. I triggered a few bigger ambushes, and it was still pretty easy. I had good troops, but if you don't by this point then you play Wesnoth horribly wrong, watch good replays and figure out how to build the core of your army.

Finished in turn 14/20, 4 losses, 17 kills

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
At first I didn't realize how should I look for the path, and headed straight north. Cleared a couple of ambushes, I was on the trail again and only then it became clear the bandit "opens" the road if you send him ahead.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Nothing that I could call "a challenge" really.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7, very good

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I like it as is
Attachments
TSG-The_Long_March_replay.gz
(32.72 KiB) Downloaded 994 times
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Hardest, 1.8.6

A solid 5. It is challenging but not really hard

Quite clear. The unclear parts are intended i think

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear enough

Being faster than the undead following. It was fun to always see them lurking at the border of my vision

it is fun to actually flee and not attack, but it is a bit weird to see so much powerful undead when in the scenario before the undead were much weaker and were pushed back

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Cant think of something. I remember the older version and this one is way better
migviper

Post by migviper »

Civilian (Beginner), 1.10.4 (Current stable version)

8 - It took me a few times starting over to figure out a decent strategy.

Mostly clear. However, I did not understand how the revealing of the path worked at first.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Mostly clear. The first time I tried it I didn't realize that those undead were actually chasing me. Instead, I tried to stand and fight them and ended up getting sandwiched between them and an Elven ambush. But then on my 2nd try I payed closer attention to the dialogue and got it right away. Probably more so my fault for not paying attention :P

All those undead chasing me! I had to figure out how to keep the undead on my tail at bay so that I could take care of the ambushes with my main force. The speed of the ghosts and bats probably are what made it so difficult. I ended up recruiting 6 thugs to hold the starting encampment as long as possible hoping it would distract them long enough for me to get my main force, and most importantly Deoran, across the map. Suffice to say, the bats/ghosts still caught up with me about halfway through, but with some careful tactics and a little luck I managed to get Deoran to the finish without losing anything important.

8 - Even though I found it pretty difficult (and it was on beginner!), the challenge provided for a pleasant change of pace since everything so far had been a cake walk. I really enjoyed coming up with different strategies to deal with the multi-faceted threats.

While I liked the challenge, I was definitely not expecting it on the easiest difficulty. At least for this difficulty, I would tone down the strength/number of the undead.
Seldam

Post by Seldam »

Easy; 1.10.5

9. It is too hard for Beginners. And this campaign was mentioned as "beginner-friendly" ...

Very clear. You know what you have to do.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, interesting too.

To win without losing very important units.

2 at the moment. With a beginner-friendly difficulty around 6.

I think it is way to difficult for easy. I have started to play Wesnoth just a few days ago and they said this is a beginner scenario ... I don't want a hard challenge, just learning. This kills the fun and without my strong units I may be forced to surrender this campaign.
Attachments
DS-Der_lange_Marsch_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
The replay for this scenario.
(28.45 KiB) Downloaded 860 times
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Version 1.11.2, "Normal" difficulty.

8, it took me awhile to figure it out. Once I did though, I had only mild difficulties.

Pretty clear.

Very good.

Under recruiting because the undead appear so fast, and then not having enough units to plow through the elves. Once I decided to summon two keeps full of units (although three of them stayed behind as fodder for the enemy), then it became easier. It's also very crucial to keep your units together, most effectively around Hylas.

7. After solving the problems at the beginning, it was enjoyable.

This particular scenario requires more strategy and skill than the rest of the campaign, but I don't think needs any changes.

(8) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Looks great.
Attachments
It's finally here...
(25.6 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
kiss

Post by kiss »

Ok, stay on the line, stay on the line! I believe the outlaw, let's see.

Turn 1, ... 8, Nice they fight each other.

Turn 9, ..., 14: Over.

Civilian (beginner) 1.10.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 1

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.

It's in the line, the outlaw was trustfull.

None.

Nothing.
Attachments
(27.65 KiB) Downloaded 771 times
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Soldier (aka the highest difficulty) 1.10.7

Clear.

The elves seem to have a bit of a misplaced focus. I can understand them wanting to get revenge but shouldn't they have noticed that the woods were being absolutely flooded by undead.

The elf ambushes were easy to deal with. The real issue was dealing with the absurdly massive army of undead chasing you. I found that the only way to escape them was to leave some sacrificial footpads at the start to slow the army down and buy me time to get away. This did mean that I had a very small army to go through the map with because I could only afford a single turn of regular recruitment. And even then I was being hounded by bats and wraiths by the end of the scenario, but the elves posed little enough threat that I was able to reach the end before being overwhelmed.

8. Its a nice, short and tense scenario.

Nothing comes to mind.
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) 1.12.5 Hard
(2) 6. I think this is the most difficult scenario in TSG but you can pass it without problems with some smart strategies. The difficulty is fair.
(3) Very clear.
(4) The dialogue is clear exciting and attractive.
(5) There are three major challenges. First, how to slow down the undead in the beginning. Second, how to effectively attack the elves in the forest without hurting yourself too much. Third, how to let the elves and the undead fight. The biggest challenge is the second one. Attacking archers is the most difficult. I just don't dare using the mage because she is easily to be killed by the lv2 archer. In addition, I had a serious fault in the very beginning -- I should recurit thugs to slow the undead, not spearmen.
(6) 9. I think this is one of the best scenario in TSG. It's challenging and needs lots of strategies.
(7) In this game, there are three sides: humans, elves and undead. All of them fight with other two sides. Two nagas are allied with the elves. I think there should be more nagas and the nagas should be a independent side fighting with other 3 sides. Four sides mess fighting can be more interesting and needs more strategies.
Attachments
TSG-The_Long_March_replay.bz2
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.0, Soldier (Normal)

A solid 5. It can be tricky, but it's not exactly hard.

Quite clear.

Clear enough.

Avoiding to trigger more elves than I can safely deal with at a time.

6, solely based on the fact that this scenario and it's mechanics are absolutely unique. I don't think I've ever seen something similiar.
And I like the nagas at the end, it's a nice touch. (Because I went for the elvish choice as well.)

-
TSG-The Long March replay.gz
(27.69 KiB) Downloaded 729 times

EDIT:
Updating because of the new TSG.
Mind you, it's probably not exactly the same as the TSG online because the replay is from the playtesting phase.
Attachments
TSGr-The Long March replay.gz
(27.23 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
bproberts

Post by bproberts »

1.14.7 "Soldier/Normal"

1 with reloads. 5 without.

Perfectly.

The "correct" path is actually to march straight through the forest contrary to common sense, and the dialogue.

1- If you follow the "path" and directions, you'll stumble right into most of the elves.

Make the path actually avoid most of the elves, as presumably intended. Play up the elves fighting undead aspect, setting off the ambushes to slow down the undead was fun, but only really relevant in the last quarter or third of the scenario.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.6, Soldier (Normal)

3, some lone enemies (but it's an 8 on being nerve-wracking)

Clear.

I really like how the 'showing path' mechanic works and how obvious it makes how much you need the Outlaws to get out of there.

None.

9, I love it. My compliments to neemara. :D

-

Scenario stats (though they are kinda not necessary here):
Spoiler:
Attachments
TSG-The Long March replay 20201108-215709.gz
(30.25 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.2 Soldier/hardest
2. pretty simple once you learn how to manage the elf ambushes.
very clear
I really like the difference between the bandit and elf branches of this campaign. With the elves, you take on Mebrin directly, and Ethiliel and Deoran respect and support each other more over time. With the bandits, you have to just run away from your problems, and there is tension between Deoran wanting to just kill Urza for lying and causing all these problems, but still needing him to escape the forest.
The first time I played through I would let Urza get too far ahead and trigger too many ambushes on his own, so managing everyone's movement to stay ahead of the undead but not get too spread out took some practice.
5. Revealing the path is an interesting mechanic, and the frequent elvish ambushes make you think about every unit's movement very carefully.
I think that in earlier versions there was a naga that popped up to block Deoran in the river, but I didn't see one when I played through this time. I think bringing it back might add some extra challenge
Attachments
TSG-The Long March replay 20220327-070959.gz
(32.48 KiB) Downloaded 66 times