South Guard 6a. Tidings Good and Ill

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

South Guard 6a. Tidings Good and Ill

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Last edited by Pentarctagon on March 1st, 2019, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked as the scenario is removed in 1.14.6.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. hard 1.1.1
2. 2 very easy because I had quite a few elves and a few were leveled
3. obvious
4. made good sense, not tiresome not exciting.
5. poison... which didnt amount to much
6. 7 a nice quick breather after the last marathon
7. seems fine, though i worry for anyone who didnt decide to recruit a decent amount of elves
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Kvasir
Code Contributor

Post by Kvasir »

1) hard on 1.0.2
2) 1
3) clear
4) interesting
5) nothing
6) 5
7) could maybe be made a bit tougher, unless you have very few elves it is too easy
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

1. Hard 1.1.7
2. 5 - a little tricky but it's not like there's a lot of options
3. Very clear
4. I'm not exactly understanding why the two parties split up, but whatever. And was there something to do with the Ogre? I couldn't tell. It didn't seem to want to attack, so I ignored it for most of the scenario, then rushed it towards the end.
5. Too many monsters appearing out of the fog.
6. 5 - too linear a fight, too many monsters appearing out of the fog.
7. Provide more than one path to travel; allow some recruiting or something.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Difficulty, version: Hard, 1.1.8

Difficulty: 2/10, would have been magnitudes harder without my leveled Elves.

Objectives: very clear.

Dialog: could be improved.

Challenges: None really. The big Nagas were pretty fierce.

Fun factor: 7/10, quite relaxing really.

Changes: Do I really need to kill the poor Nagas?
akepooh

Re: South Guard 6a. Tidings Good and Ill

Post by akepooh »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

- normal, 1.1.8

- 5/10 very good balance for me. i happen to have 4 lvl 1 elves (3 sword, 1 healer). with the lvl2 elves given and my lvl 3 guy...the balance is real good.

- good

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- good

- troll and queen naga are not easy...but beatable.

- 9/10 what with no money?? i got about 500 from last scenario

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- gimme my money!
Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi »

(1) hard with version 1.1.11.

(2) 10: unbeatable, I only had the hero at level 3 and one level 2 elf, no means of recalling units, no means of healing, stopped playing the campaign at this point, which is a shame (actually I had a lot of swordmen and pikeneers, HOW was I supposed to know that I won't be able to use them at some point...).

(3) clear.

(4) ok.

(5) see (2).

(6) could have been fun, but regarding (2) I have to give a 1.

(7) Give the player like 60-100 starting gold (maybe make it difficulty-dependant) to recall units (and a small fort for that, obviously), or give the player some units at least. I could have finished this level in that case.
Septim

Post by Septim »

(1) third (called normal) v. 1.2
(2) 2-10, depends on the number of elves and woundation of Gerrick; 8 for me
(3) little stupid (why have they to kill Naga Queen, when Deoran's group is much stronger?)
(4) 3/10
(5) finish it
(6) 4
(7) Make it more playable for players, who don't know about this scenario beforehand e. g. Gerrick would have got full health...
In this way you support spoilers!
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

I played "Tidings Good and Ill" in January 2007.

(1) Hard "Soldier", Wesnoth 1.2.0
(2) Scenario difficulty: 3 (easy). The first time, I won but some elves died. The second time, I was careful to fight instead of rush, and I won the scenario without losing any units! It helped that I had 3 Elvish Shamans.
(3) I could see the goal in the fog, so I knew what to do. I originally had not expected so many encounters (saurians, ogre, nagas, dark adepts, ...) but I was able to handle them.
(4) I consider the previous scenario and the next scenario to be adjacent, so this one was an interim break. I redid the scenario so that I could keep more elves. (I never was able to use those elves in a future scenario.)
(5) The major challenge is not having the Scorpion at the beginning poison someone. When that happens, I must keep the poisoned unit next to a Shaman, who cannot cure the poison but who can at least prevent HP loss.

I have become aware that there is completely different set of scenarios if I ally with the bandits in "Choice in the Fog". I have not reached those scenarios, because I believe that an alliance with the bandits makes "Choice in the Fog" more difficult.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

(1) Medium difficulty - 1.2.1
(2) 10 - Impossible (well - I could probably do it with a bit of luck and enough tries - but why?) . I had only Sir Gerrick and Ithelden a Lvl 2 Elvish Ranger. No means of healing, no reinforcements, no hope.
(3) Clear enough
(4) Would have been interesting if I had any hope of making it to the end. I didn't, so I just thought the incessant 'one more thing' foes were annoying.
(5) It doesn't matter if you only take 2 points of damage per attack. With no means of healing and enough enemies they will get you.
(6) 1 - Not at all fun. It's a pure gotcha. It's fundamentally flawed. It's broken.
(7) Oh, give the player some hope of completing it. Two characters against all the enemies and no hope of healing is not the way to design a fun scenario. At least it doesn't last as long as the old Sceptre of Fire before you realise you have no hope.

(PS Sir Gerrick's promotions are also broken because the extra swing doesn't work)
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard on 1.2, I also played Easy on 1.1.9.
Eleazar wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
10 Impossible without saveloading.
Eleazar wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear. Go North.
Eleazar wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was obviously an artificially constructed obstacle run. The excuses everybody had for attacking me sounded rather lame though. A single ogre going on a suicide rampage when he's obviously outnumbered just because he wants to find out whether elves taste good?
Eleazar wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No Gold. No recruiting. No control over the members of the party.
I was remembering having several levelled elves, which on second look turned out to be ethiliels guards and a sorceress, so maybe thats why they didn't come. Anyway, I was stuck with Garrick, Ithelden, a Fighter and three Shamans, which was much more than others had apparently, but still awfully hard to manage given the number of foes.
No time for proper movement.
If I moved my units carefully, protecting the healers and taking advantage of slowing, it was no problem to kill off all the enemies, but no way of finishing in time. If I rushed, they would swarm my healers and eat my force piece by piece.
Eleazar wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4 Challenging to fiddle with a seemingly unsolvable problem, but sacrificing almost everybody for no gain apart fom getting to the next scenario seems rather pointless.
Eleazar wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give a little more time for doing this properly.
Maybe one could combine this scenario with the next one into one, giving Garrick a hold for recruiting which disappears after the first turn.
This way maybe there wouldnt be so much Gold and unit chaos and the player would feel more in control.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Normal, 1.2.4
2) 4
3) Clear
4) Not very convincing.
5) The nagas are a bit tricky, but generally no big problems.
6) 4
7) The ogre seems out of place, and only makes the level harder if you accidentally wander into his attack range while still fighting the nagas.
Zajec

Post by Zajec »

(1) Easy ; 1.3.3
(2) 10 (sic!)
(3) Clear
(4) Fine
(5) Which way (path) should I choose to meet the lessest amount of enemies
(6) 0 in (1-10) scale
(7) Give more elves! It's extremly _stupid_ to give player 2 chars. I spent more than 1 hour in this scenario. It was set of save/load.
supercomputer42

Post by supercomputer42 »

(1) What [b]difficulty levels[/b] and [b]game versions[/b] have you played the scenario on?

1.3.3, Normal

10 (almost impossible); I only had a level 3 swordsman, a level 2 elven ranger, and an almost dead level 2 elven captain.

Very clear.

Stupid; there wasn't any storyline. Might as well have skipped this scenario.

Not enough units; I had to try dozens of times before I got the right combination of strategy and luck.

It would be really nice to (a) heal the units and (b) provide a few elves if you're short. And maybe add something interesting that happens (maybe runnng into bandits or something like that?)
nowhereman

Post by nowhereman »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1) Normal, 1.2.5
2) 8 (not enough time given the army I had, managed to reach the objective in the last turn)
3) Clear
4) Poor, not much of a story just a bunch of monsters attacking for no good reason
5) Getting there on time, given I had Gerrick, one level2 elf to keep at all costs (got poisoned as well...) + 3 level1 elf shamans and keeping them alive. Actually lost one shaman but that's ok I think
6) 3
7) Recall? Recruiting? As somebody on the forum already mentioned, more than one path to get there. More turns. I only had to restart the scenario once but it seems I got lucky (after reading the rest of this thread)