South Guard 6a. Tidings Good and Ill

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kaiserdrache

Re: South Guard 6a. Tidings Good and Ill

Post by Kaiserdrache »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.10.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Crystal clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear, but boring.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

None.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

2, haven't met a more boring scenario so far.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Give me a reason to fight! Suggestion: Let the naga guard a treasure of 200 gold pieces. And at the end of the scenario let me choose wether I want to fight the dark adept or wether I want him to follow me for the price of 200 gold pieces (fitting, isn't it...).
SBak

Post by SBak »

mainly easy but also medium 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

This is all over the place. On a sliding scale 8 if you're a newbie, 9.9 if you're a newbie trying to involve Sir Gerrick in dealing with the monsters, 8 if you're more experienced but still trying to involve Sir Gerrick in dealing with the monsters, 5 if you keep Sir Gerrick away from everything except the Dark Adept, 4 if you have a Druid and a Hero, 3 if you have at least a Druid and a Sorceress and 1 if you have two levelled Elvish Sorceresses with a Druid and keep Sir Gerrick out of the way of the enemy.

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
This was weird, rather like a vivid bad dream, a hallucination, and on its own would have probably inspired enough material for the concept album of a late 1960's psychedelic rock band.

Dealing with Sir Gerrick, who couldn't move very fast, needed an extra turn to get into any sort of position to attack anything, was hopeless with the Saurians, got poisoned by the Scorpions, didn't really hurt the Ogre. When the Dark Adept rushed to meet him, even getting into a good position and not giving him the chill wave, Sir Gerrick couldn't kill him and an Elvish unit had to step in and finish the DA off.

About a 5, but 9 if you replace the music with extracts from Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Sir Gerrick... please... anything... just anything.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Soldier (aka the highest difficulty) 1.10.7

Clear.

It was rather boring filler. It makes sense plotwise for the characters to send warning back, but in most stories that would be the kind of thing that usually happens off camera, turning it into a level just felt like someone realized that their campaign wasn't going to have the desired number of levels and looked for ways to stretch it out. Also the whole we have to destroy these naga or they will ambush Deoran and Ethiliel was laughable. The whole 3 naga may have been a real threat to the small band of level 1 elves I had, but would have been no match for the army of level 2 units that would be travelling back with Deoran. As such Gerrick ended up taking a major risk that could have prevented his warning from ever being received in order to take care of an enemy that would barely rate as a speedbump to the main force. Not exactly smart decision making.

The start of the scenario suggested that I could recall some of my elves but at the cost of removing them from the recall list of the next scenario. I played this campaign apparently 7 years ago, and I remembered vaguely that the next scenario was quite rough so I went with a bunch of new recruits. This turned out to be a poor decision as the scenario was a nasty gauntlet with plenty of dangerous enemies, effectively zero villages to heal in, and a tight time limit. Four of my five recruits did not survive. The only reason I didn't rate it as harder then a 6, was that I beat it on the first try and I finished with my leader, the level 2 elf I was given, and my remaining recruit also leveled up to level 2 still in fairly good condition, so while harsh I still won by a decent margin.

4. It may be a reasonably difficult scenario, but it is not a very memorable one for some reason. If I had to guess its probably because everything in the level feels kind of disconnected from each other. You are basically going from one small skirmish to another, while most Wesnoth scenarios have you thinking about your objectives on a much larger scale then just kill whatever is immediately in front of you.

The scenario definitely feels like it can use some improvement but I'm not sure exactly what form that would take.
kiss

Post by kiss »

A short one this time 18 turns.
Only one village, ennemies are unkown and I can figure out how many moves needed to reach the goal.

Strategy: recall best units and run away!

Civilian (beginner) 1.10.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 2
This time I think only to run, run, run ... and notice Deoran was here only at the end!
With Deoran, one more recall turn it may be easiest and perhaps only 1.

Clear.

This is a nice thing to change leader.

Frightened! It make me lose my nerves ... only 1 HP at the end!

Nothing.
Attachments
TSG-Tidings,_Good_and_Ill_replay.gz
(22.48 KiB) Downloaded 872 times
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Soldier, Wesnoth 1.10.5, iPad ver 1.0.4
Starting gold 100. Ended on turn 18/18. No Carry Over gold from this scenario.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 4

Clear. The Note says, "Unrecalled units will be available for Deoran."
Meaning that units you recall here cannot be recalled ever again.
For that reason, I did not recall anyone. Instead I recruited 5 new units: 4 fighters and a shaman. I lost one fighter, but leveled up the other 2.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clear and interesting.
Its believable to me that they could encounter different types of enemies going through this valley. Like in life, there is not always an easy explanation for encountering diverse adversaries. Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll and a nasty Queen Naga in your path.

Getting to the signpost before the turns ran out.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8, short but sweet
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? can't think of any.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? yes, reloaded when the game ended before I got to the goal.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

Version 12.1, Challenging.

3. I didn't recall anything, just recruited 3-4 fighters and a shaman, then went North in a tight bunch, carefully using the heal and terrain advantages. Piece of cake!

Perfectly clear.

6, pretty decent.

Rotating my troops and surviving the Nagas' night attack.

8, I love scenarios where your troops don't carry over and you can go all-out.

Maybe lose the Ogre and add some more Nagas or some Saurians instead?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Version 1.14.0, Soldier (Normal)

5, mostly because of the scorpion at the beginning, because I didn't have a Druid.

Perfectly clear.

6, I liked that the Dark Adept said 'sacrilege' xD

Dealing with the naga.

6, It wasn't bad, it wasn't great.

I have no idea.
Attachments
TSG-Tidings, Good and Ill replay.gz
(27.17 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- Just move to the north and kill some monsters

- Dull, just run-of-a-mill scenario

- Trying to find a village to heal a poisoned unit

- Maybe making this scenario into cutscene instead