South Guard 5. Choice in the Fog

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

South Guard 5. Choice in the Fog

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. hard 1.1.1
2. 3 a little long, not very hard, enemy was stretched incredibly thin
3. obvious
4. made good sense, not tiresome not exciting.
5. small pockets of resistance... oh wait thats not really a major challenge :P
6. 5... a little long to trek through the woods even with elves, but a necessary evil
7. seems fine, though it was really easy considering how spread out the enemy made itself. on any easier... i cant imaging fighting more than 2 units at a time.

Having a major split in the campaign in the middle of this scenario... interesting, but i'd prefer it near the beginning to closer to the end personally.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Kvasir
Code Contributor

Post by Kvasir »

1) easy / hard on 1.0.2
2) easy 3 hard 5
3) clear
4) interesting, maybe offer the choice to capture the bandits as well
5) the first time on easy the walking corpses were so late to the show they actually managed to catch me off guard and I had to scramble to defend my (actually the bandits) castle.
6) 7
7) maybe move the river closer to the second castle so you can actually use the mermen here as well
PieterW

Re: South Guard 5. Choice in the Fog

Post by PieterW »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
1: 1.1.2 hard
2: 7
3: Not very clear, but this makes the scenario better, who are you supposed to kill? what is the role of the bandits? only improves the map
4: good, although a little more dialog before you make a choice could be nice
5: not getting your heroes killed by attacks from the fog
6: 8
7: make the second undead more easy to approach, you don't really feel like yet another undead that digged himself in
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

- Easy 1.1.2a (figured I might as well finish the campaign)

- Not very, I allied myself with the bandits, posted up some thugs to guard the camp against the green undead coming from the sw (they never even attacked) and marched up along the frozen mountain to the south, and the lich died or dissappeared as soon as I tapped it. Which was odd.

- Everything was clear except the ending, did the lich die or just escape or fake death or what?

- Extremely interesting, very well written, I had to ponder my decision a bit. In the end I went with bandits figuring I'm going to come back and do it again on medium/hard anyway.

- At first I tried to kill the green undeads.. there were too many of them and they beat me (which is a first in this campaign), later I just ignored them and they didn't bother me.

- 9 for the choice between elves or bandits

- It would have been interesting to have the other undead pounding on my defenses while I fought the lich, instead of just getting near my thugs then running for their lives.
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

1. Hard 1.1.7
2. 5 - played it through in one pass, I think, but with some sweat.
3. Clear enough.
4. I understood what was going on.
5. I was never sure where I needed to be going, so my forces spent a lot of their time scattered all over the map. Having a few Elvish Scouts would have been a big help.
6. 8 - it's an interesting fight in the south against the undead, and then again versus the lich. The decision to use the bandits is also interesting.
7. Shrink the map some - it's huge!
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Difficulty, version: Hard, 1.1.8

Difficulty: 4/10

Objectives: very clear

Dialog: It did it's job. Not TRoW level, but okay.

Challenges: Gerrick got himself ZoC'ed by a couple of footpads, that was a pain.

Fun factor: 8/10, the zombies were fun, as was skirmishig through fighting bandits and undead.

Changes: Well...nothing really.
Septim

Post by Septim »

(1) third (called normal) v. 1.2
(2) 7
(3) clear on the whole, but not much
(4) 7/10
(5) time limit, map is too big even for elves and cavalry; no loses
(6) 7
(7) more time
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

I played "Choice in the Fog" in January 2007.

(1) Hard "Soldier", Wesnoth 1.2.0
(2) Scenario difficulty: 7 (moderately hard); fighting was easy, but exploring the unknown map was hard.
(3) The scenario objectives were clear enough after I explored the map.
(4) The "Choice in the Fog" is whether to form an alliance with the bandits. To explore an unknown forest, I recruited a force entirely of Elvish Fighters and Shamans, using no human units except those that auto-recruited....

... When I discovered the bandits, I initially requested an alliance. I did not expect that the elves would go away and that the bandit leader would lose the ability to recruit. I had to go back a turn and reject the alliance. I needed the elves if I wanted hope of winning the scenario, and the bandits can still recruit and fight undead if I do not ally with them. The option to join the bandits is only feasible if the player knows the map and can move Deoran in the correct direction so as to preserve the ability to recruit from the bandits' keep.

(5) The major challenge was to explore an unfamiliar map, fighting the occasional bandit. In comparison, my attack against the Walking Corpses and Soullesses was easy; I simply massed some elves, used Etheliel, Hylas and shamans to heal, and if necessary, retreated weak units knowing that the enemy was too slow to chase them. I lost exactly one unit, an Elvish Fighter, in that battle....

... But as Etheliel explained, defeating those corpses, as I did, was not sufficient to win the scenario. I guessed correctly that I needed to explore a path that was sending skeletons. Meanwhile, though my elves had slain the bandit leader, a fleeing Footpad or two crossed the river north and started deflagging my villages. I sent a few units to chase, though the river was a major obstacle, and lost one unit in that fight....

... I was worried about fighting level 2 skeletons, but the bandits had apparently handled them, and I encountered only level 1 skeletons on my way to find the undead leader. The path to the undead leader was longer than I had guessed, and I became worried that I would not kill it in time. Luckily, I managed to kill "Mal M'Ebrin" during the second-last turn, because it only took one strike.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Normal, 1.2.4
2) 5 not knowing the way, 3 once you know
3) Clear
4) Good
5) I got bogged down fighting my way through hordes of WCs in the western woods; managed to kill the SW leader, but ran out of time just short of the real target. Reloading from the killing of the bandit leader, I was able to beat the S leader easily.

6) 8 - good fun 3-way fight in the center with bandits and skeletons.
7) The main enemy should be made a bit tougher; after the initial wave, who spend their strength attacking the bandits, he only has a few scattered skeletons to command; you can walk up and kill him without much trouble. The SW leader, OTOH, takes days to approach and kill, as Deoran, Sir G, and the loyalist troops find WCs in woodland to be slow work.
ubr

Post by ubr »

- normal, 1.2.6

- Clear

- It's surprise to see the elves abandoned me when i want to save the bandit, i thought i can get new type unit to recruit. :)

- none

- 4, story is good but after i defeat the zombie and bandit i have to rally everyone to the southeast corner and there's nothing on the way so it's boring.

- A lair of naga west of Lich castle and give something on the Southwest corner.
Dwachs

Post by Dwachs »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) 1.2.8 medium
(2) 8
(3) very unclear! I found south of the river bandits and zombies fighting each other. Should I fight both? After the dialogue with the bandit - I rejected his offer - I beat the leader of the zombies. Then I overrun the bandits. After that, I had only very few turns left to find Melbrin. Luckily (and surprisingly) he could be killed(?) in one turn.
(4) ok
(5) choosing the right targets. I chose the wrong ones. So I had to hurry for the lich.
(6) 7 - it was fun after all - I won :)
(7) The zombies did react very weird. There were masses of them but sometimes they choose not to attack but to flee. An attack with lots of them would be certainly harmful. After their leader was killed (an easy task for the cavalry!) I took the forts on the river west to the bandits village. The zombies made only one lame attempt to attack my guards. So I propose to make them more aggressive.

Also the undeaths in the south east react crazy. Instead of protecting the guarding forts in front of the castle they chose to run around in the forest and attack randomly units. This enables me to send troops to the lich.

The disappearing of the lich was unexpected. I thouhgt I had to sacrifice much units, since I was late ~ only 3 rounds to go. But the lich disappears after one hit without saying anything. It would be good if he could say something like 'haha - you got trapped. you will never find me ..'
Lyinar

Post by Lyinar »

Medium. Version 1.2.8

8, but only for time constraints.

Clearly communicated, if unrevealing of the true plot.

It was certainly interesting, especially the "Choice", but it was NOT clear that the Elves would abandon you. I chose to accept the bandit's help, because like Konrad said, we're all in this together against the undead - and then all my Elven units (including nearly all my healers) up and disappear! I had to re-load, because otherwise that would have been a total loss.

None, really. I was really worried about facing that horde of Walking Corpses and Soulless, because of their ability to spawn more of themselves from units they kill, and so advanced very slowly through the woods in a tight formation with full healer access ... :P Turns out they weren't very interested in attacking me at all.

The only big challenge was the turn limitation. If I hadn't split my forces from the beginning, the time it took to slog through the green undead would have meant failure due to lack of time. As it was, only about half my army was held up there.

8. I liked advancing in a tight, wary formation, and having to explore the map rather than having it all revealed from the start.

Make it clear that the elves will abandon you if you let the bandits join. As in, have the druidess come out and SAY so. "If you forge an alliance with these murderers and thieves, we will have no more to do with you!"

An increased turn limit.
Rogrog

Post by Rogrog »

1. 1.4, at the highest difficulty available.

2. I'd say a 9 or 10 for your first time through - 6 or so once you've played through once.

3. Not too clear - especially since there's a good deal of practically wasted space in the east that you'll likely waste several units exploring on your first play-thru, and you don't really get the sense of the number and type of enemies you'll be facing. Honestly, I wasted a lot of turns on my first time fighting the bandits and watching them fighting the undead, not even realizing that you get a choice to fight with them once you get on the bridge. You should get the choice of whether to ally with the bandits or not the first time you meet their units, and the consequences of your choice should be made clear then and there (i.e., you'll lose all your elf units).

4. The concept is pretty interesting, though the execution is somewhat lacking (see above).

5. The turn limit, mostly (combined with the large size of the map). The lich is also pretty tough, though perhaps appropriately so (he's hard to kill, but under alternative circumstances, I wouldn't mind as much).

6. 5 - It's not much fun, particularly since it's very difficult to beat on your first time due to the large size of the map, the turn limit, and the numerous opponents. The concept is nice - it's the execution where this scenario fails.

7. (See #3). Also, eliminate the undead opponent who keeps cranking out the soulless (what's he supposed to be, anyway? Why not just have the lich and the bandits?). Reduce the size of the map to eliminate the 'empty space' that just wastes your time.
Anym

Post by Anym »

(1) Civilian (Beginner), 1.4, English [US]

(2) 4: Very suitable for a beginner's campagin, yet not so trivially easy as the previous scenarios. Still, the the only unit I lost was a merman that unwisely woke a sea serpent.

(3) Clear. The "Investigate the areas to the south of the Black River" was, of course, intentionally vague, but that was fine.

(4) Clear and very interesting. The only line I found a bit off was Urza Alafas' "Thank heaven! You're alive!" opener.

(5) Having some of my troops (elves) abandon me in the middle of the scenario.

(6) 8: The best of the campaign so far.

(7) Can't think of anything that could be improved other than maybe Urza Alafas' dialogue.
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.