South Guard 3. A Desperate Errand

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kaiserdrache

Re: South Guard 3. A Desparate Errand

Post by Kaiserdrache »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.10.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

2, rarely seen easier scenarios.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Once again, crystal clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

What challenges?

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Lots of. First of all, a little bit more gold for the Urza. That guy runs out of money far too fast. Second, give him the opportunity to recruit nagas as there is nothing that can challenge mermans in the water. Third, cut down Jarek. A loyal rider is nice, but simply not needed during the whole campaign. It's a nice to have, but nothing more. Instead offer a loyal naga fighter to join for a price of 100 gold pieces in one of the villages adjacent to water. Would make for a far more interesting bunch of troops and it would cut down the gold a little bit.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Mainly easy but also medium 1.8.5 and 1.10.5.

Now it's a 2 but when I first started it was a 5.

This is quite clear - get Deoran to the spot marked 'X'.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Still clear and interesting even though Deoran gets to meet a crazy bunch of outlaws and also Elves on a bad hair day. However it's not explained how a Rogue manages to conjure up bats.

The first challenge can be summed up in one word - villages. In this scenario you gain Cavalrymen which reduces the defence disadvantage of your units but you're still at a significant disadvantage when it comes to mobility. Bats and Footpads are excellent at capturing villages because they're scouting units and you gain your own scouting units in the form of Cavalrymen but as they're on horseback they're slowed by forests, hills, water (basically any terrain which isn't flat or road) and cannot enter or cross mountains.

The next challenge is of course dealing with the highly defensive and highly mobile enemy units (Footpads and Bats) with your own highly defensive but somewhat less mobile Cavalrymen, your somewhat less mobile and somewhat less defensive other units and - on this map at least - your rather immobile supporting unit Sir Gerrick.

You could of course recall your loyal Mermen, which is probably advisable if you're a newbie anyway to keep the enemy units from drawing you into the water near the enemy keep - if you choose to deal with the enemy in one go en route to the Elvish citadel.

Levelling units on the easiest level also needs to be mentioned as a challenge, not just in this scenario but throughout the entire campaign.

For the newbie I can see how this serves as a 'breather' scenario in the campaign and dealing with the significant mobility disadvantage would be quite challenging.

However for a more experienced player this serves better as a character building scenario with a couple of half-serious enemy units (or a few, quite literally when you consider it's the (secret magician) Rogue leader and couple of Thugs) supported by some of the most annoying enemy units in Wesnoth - Bats and Footpads.

Thankfully it's a turn based scenario and not a time based one, which would perhaps be a bit more challenging given the lengthy encounters between Footpads and Cavalrymen. It's nowhere near my longest encounter (between a hardy Dwarvish Berserker and a Lich, which the Berserker - on a mountain - almost killed after three minutes of persistent hacking), but here the units do tend to slug it out between themselves.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I think there's a case for giving Sir Gerrick an extra movement point. I always imagine Sir Gerrick to be a knowledgable but somewhat pickled old soldier who's seen a few too many battles, a few too many bottles, and a bit past his best. I don't see much use in his leadership when by and large most of the units are several hexes away or even half way across the map.

Also, given the fact that Cavalrymen are the primary scouting unit for Loyalists, I don't quite understand the delay in the arrival of Jarek, the Cavalier, or with being able to recruit them. Additionally there could be some introduction for the newbie about Cavalrymen and horse units.

In the other novice campaign Heir to the Throne in the second scenario (Blackwater Port) you get a lengthy, detailed and adequate introduction to Horsemen. This is good because Horsemen are important to Loyalists as major damage dealers and you're even shown just how effectively they can take out Orcs.

I think an explanation (perhaps a paragraph) introducing the newbie player to Cavalrymen and the concept of scouting and village capturing given at the start of the scenario with the arrival of Jarek (who could explain just as Sir Kaylan does in HttT) would not only be a great act of balancing but also provide an introduction to new players on the importance of scouting and village capturing.

Other than that maybe something to cheer the Elves up. This lot seem to be a miserable bunch.
Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende »

Hard, 1.10.7

Very Clear

Interesting and clear

None, the enemy leader got killed after he went into the river

-
kiss

Post by kiss »

Overview
Shortest scenario, only 30 turns.
A lot of free villages.
The river design with many enemy villages near it.
Two way to reach the elvish city.

Strategy: Use mermaid with mage help for the early fight, use peasants to take villages, reinforce mermaids with bowmen.

Turn 1, 2: Riders may come?

Trun 3: Riders have a lot of moves, perhaps peasants are useless now! Mmmm, I notice only now (after 3 turns!) than enemy can recruit only two units each turn.
Strategy: recruit 2 riders and rush north with Deoran hoping there are enough to win the first fight against Urza Fastik.

Turn 4, 5, 6, 7: So much units useless now!

Turn 8, 9, 10, 11: Over

Civilian (beginner) 1.10.7

Straightforward.

The story goes on with the starting line, it's nice.

For a moment I was afraid that splitting wasn't good, but I stay on my first idea. With all those units it starts to become difficult to make the good recruitment choices.

Nothing.
Attachments
TSG-A_Desperate_Errand_replay.gz
(16.79 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
Linthar

Re: South Guard 3. A Desperate Errand

Post by Linthar »

Soldier (aka the highest difficulty) 1.10.7

Clear.

The scenario feels a bit like filler, but the writing is still decent.

Other then the fact that the enemy exists there wasn't any challenge to be had. The enemy started with a measly 70 gold, I started with 244. The enemy recruited only level 1 troops, I had a number of level 2's in my recall list. Level 2's which for the most part I didn't even bother recalling since the enemy was so unthreating. And for the third scenario in a row, the terrain was perfectly designed for me to meet the first wave of enemies on the shore of a small river.

3. This scenario is absurdly easy to the point where it becomes boring. I found the previous two scenarios easy as well, but as least the enemy had a chance of being threatening in them. Also the scenario ends with several turns of doing nothing but waiting for my leader to reach the opposite end of the map since every enemy is dead. The waiting around wasn't too bad since its clear where the destination is so I could just move Deoran each turn, but its still a tad bit annoying.

The enemy needs to be much stronger. I know that I said in the previous two reviews that my judgement on difficulty for this campaign may be questionable, but I can say completely objectively that this scenario is too easy, just by virtue of how much the enemy is weaker and less threatening then those in the previous two scenarios. In particular the enemy needs to have more gold. I should not be starting a scenario with triple my enemies gold.
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) v1.12.5 Hard
(2) 1. I think it's too easy and can't be called a "hard" game at all! The enemy leader can be very easily killed.
(3) 10. Very clear.
(4) The story is interesting. It can make the players always want to go on playing the next scenario. Good.
(5) No challenge at all!
(6) 3. Just so-so. First, it's too easy and not challenging enough. Second, The task is too common and simple. Maybe we can make the scenario more changeable.
(7) Firstly, we can have more enemy leaders. Second, we should make the enemy leader(s) stronger. Now the leader is too easy to kill. Third, we can have some ambush enemies in the forest. Fourth, I think we can make the map more complex. For e.g., to add some teleport gateways. Also, we can let peasants build villages or castles like "A New Land". Finally, if you don't want to do those above, maybe we can lessen the turns you have in order to make the game more challenging.
Attachments
TSG-A_Desperate_Errand_replay.bz2
(23.18 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

Version 12.1, Challenging.

1, ridiculously easy. Literally nothing in the scenario posed any kind of threat.

9, extremely clear.

3, very clear, but also pretty boring.

Nothing. Nothing at all.

2. It's just too easy, especially since the undead just charge into the river during daytime, so you can easily slaughter them. I was disappointed that there was no point whatsoever in sending troops straight North through the mountains, no kind of surprise, strategic advantage or anything.

Also, once the bandits were defeated, I spent five or so more turns just running Deoran north to the city, which was extremely boring.

Implement something interesting in the... well... Eastern and Northern halves of the map, I guess?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Version 1.14.0, Soldier (Normal)

1, maybe too easy?

Extremely clear.

3, very clear, but also boring.

Nothing.

2. There is prett much nothing to do.

Implement some guards in the north-east part of the map, and change the ai so the enemy leader defends himself instead of sending all his soldiers on a chase after Deoran. (The guardians block him instead.)
TSG-A Desperate Errand replay.gz
(21.77 KiB) Downloaded 674 times

EDIT:
Updating because of the new TSG.
Mind you, it's probably not exactly the same as the TSG online because the replay is from the playtesting phase.
Attachments
TSGr-A Desperate Errand replay.gz
(24.26 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
Last edited by Konrad2 on March 1st, 2019, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- As usual, get rid of rogue and rendez-vous with elves

- While the starting one is kinda the same wtih avenging Urza brothers, the ending one is superior

- None much, just trying to get footpads and rogue in the water

- Nothing really
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

wrote: (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.7 on Soldier/Normal
3. The easiest scenario yet, with no real major challenges. The AI wasn't very smart, they split their forces up and didn't really attack me in force at any point, allowing me to pick them off.
Crystal.
Clear enough. I'm not too sure why the bandits were in those woods, but the scenario needs an enemy, so why not?
None, really.
5. Not too much going on with this one, and not all that challenging either.
Maybe some wolves that attack the player? Just something to add a bit more challenge and interest to the scenario.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.6, Soldier (Normal)

Clear.

I like it.

None.

6, it's a nice place to just gain xp.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TSG-A Desperate Errand replay 20201104-171549.gz
(25.76 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Version 1.14.16, Soldier (Normal) difficulty

Pretty clear

Pretty good 7/10

-

-
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.2 soldier/hardest
very
it's fine. You fight another Urza, he's upset you keep killing his brothers even though they're the ones attacking you, simple enough.
Not much challenge, really. A bit of a bottleneck east of the leader's keep.
4. pretty simple. I do like how merfolk are again very relevant for ambushing the enemy leader while your cavalry attack by land. I actually like the delay, as you're literally "waiting for the cavalry to arrive". I also like the tension between cavalry being your most effective lvl 1 units against skeleton archers, but also the most vulnerable TO skeleton archers! I also like how cavalry are not really scouts in this campaign, but more frontline damage dealers.
Maybe make the river wider so you have to struggle more to cross? Or maybe give the enemy more gold and make the terrain more open, so the cavalry's high movement points are more relevant.
Attachments
TSG-A Desperate Errand replay 20220312-174818.gz
(25.84 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
JL42

Post by JL42 »

What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
v. 1.16.10
Soldier / Normal
How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
1 – This scenario is really too easy. I know it's probably intended as catch-your-breath map, but it feels a bit excessive in that regard. Deoran can simply walk to his destination unimpeded, while your other troops pick off a few of the (weak) enemies if desired. I had Deoran just sitting up there next to the great trees for 6 turns, waiting while the troops got a bit more XP.
How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialogue and storyline are very well done.

Cavalrymen don't seem to have a huge role in this scenario or in the overall campaign; the terrain is not really suited for them, so it's not clear why Deoran is so excited about them showing up. But, another loyal unit is always welcome, and it brings a bit more variety into the ranks.
What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None. The only notable hassle here is the bats, but since you have Hylas and Gerrick and a few other experienced troops they are easily dispatched.
How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
3 – The scenario is fine and the terrain is interesting; it provides opportunities for different strategies by land or by sea. But, there's not really any challenge to it.
What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe move the enemy keep up a bit so that it is more directly between Deoran and his destination, so that he can't so easily walk past the enemies north of the fighting. At least make him take a long route around. Probably wouldn't hurt to give the enemy a bit more gold as well.

About the Overall Campaign:

In general this campaign is really well done. The story and writing quality are notable here; it draws me in right from the start, gives Deoran some background and character, and creates a sense of urgency and mystery about what is going on in the countryside. You can really see the hero developing across the scenarios as new realizations emerge and as the challenges he faces continue to become more significant.

Most of the maps are excellent as well, very thoughtfully designed, and the battles feel engaging and meaningful. The early scenarios are mostly simple and easy but then they become solidly difficult around #5 and #6. Nearly all of them have some kind of interesting happenings or combat complexities. Really just enjoyable to play.

The only thing that brings this down for me is the final two scenarios. (I'm reviewing the elf branch – never played the bandit branch since they are clearly scum and siding with them seems like it would be out of character for Deoran.) In the elf branch, the last two scenarios feel like a total afterthought and waste of time; you could wrap this up with an epilogue after scenario 6 and be better for it. The story aspects continue to be good in those final scenarios, but the actual gameplay is a massive letdown from the previous maps.

For me the campaign is 4 out of 5 stars; the only reason it doesn't get full marks is the boringness of the final two scenarios.