South Guard 3. A Desperate Errand

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

South Guard 3. A Desperate Errand

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. hard 1.1.1
2. 4, not that hard, lost jarek
3. obvious
4. getting to the castle seemed easy, but the ai moving to protect it made it interesting
5. the ai did pretty good defendings its home camp and moving to block advances to the castle
6. 6, a little interesting, nothing too special.
7. seems fine, though on lower difficulties i can imagine this scenario would be incredibly easy since the AI wont have the troops to defend their leader and block off the castle at the same time.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Kvasir
Code Contributor

Post by Kvasir »

1) easy, hard on 1.0.2
2) easy 2, hard 3
3) clear
4) fairly interesting
5) keeping the cavalry that went north alive
6) 5
7) The AI sends too much forces north-west for too long resulting in a dead leader before the battle starts.
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

- Easy 1.1.2a

- 1, this was -extremely- easy, much more so than the preceding map... there was -no- support or coherence in the villains.. basically I just walked up to the bandit leader and killed him in two rounds, then swept up the other 3 or so thieves running around, and waltzed into the city.

- very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- it was alright, very good at the very beginning and at the end when the elf girl shows up.

- nothing

- 5, more if it was a little harder

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- let the bandit recruit more than 1 or 2 units per turn... with the castle I had, i just recruited it full for 3 turns and had an army of around 20 cavalry and bowmen, which was ridiculous against the 3 or 4 thieves I found waiting for me.

- also I seem to be having an extreme surplus of gold, which might be on purpose for the easy difficulty? I dont know.
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

1. Hard 1.1.7
2. 8 - took 3 replays and some luck to figure out
3. 8 - very clear
4. storyline was clear
5. recruiting enough forces to fight the thief leader, but getting out of the castle quickly enough to make it north.
6. 6 - it's not bad, but not amazing.
7. knowing I could recruit cavalry on turn 1, instead of on turn 2, would have helped a bunch. Still, I doubt I'd replay it.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: South Guard 3. A Desparate Errand

Post by Zhukov »

What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard, version 1.1.8

How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7/10 - Sooooo many high-defence enemies.

How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal.

How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the
scenario?
Mostly good. The whole bandit brother thing is still old.

What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Keeping stuff alive with miss-proof footpads rumbling about the place.

How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6/10 - Not bad, once things started falling into place.

What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It seemed wierd that the bandits can happily stroll through the Elf town without any reaction.
Septim

Post by Septim »

(1) third (called normal) v. 1.2
(2) 8; terrain is too advantageous for enemy
(3) clear and well explained
(4) 6/10
(5) cross river; train cavalry; no loses
(6) 7
(7) enemy have too much gold, he recruits tons of "meat" and attack without caution
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

I played "A Desperate Errand" in January 2007.

(1) Hard "Soldier", Wesnoth 1.2.0
(2) Scenario difficulty: 8 (hard), because bandits held many villages and Deoran had only 20 turns to reach the elves
(3) The goal in the elvish keep was clearly marked.
(4) I wanted to meet the elves to further the plot.
(5) I had a major decision here: do I send Deoran north then west, or west then north? I tried both approaches, twice failing the scenario, before I concluded that Deoran must go west then north, the path near the bandit camp, or else I would not have units sufficient to guard Deoran....

...So Deoran included, my army attacked the bandit camp. I intended to defeat Urza Fastik (though that was not a scenario objective) because I wanted to stop their recruitment of bandits. I did send three units north to take villages, but because Deoran was not among them, they had not much trouble....

...However, the attack on the bandit encountered difficulties. The river and sand slowed my attack, but this time, I fought well and killed Urza Fastik on turn 12/20. That still left many Footpads and the occasional Skeleton to threaten me, and my units formed a line....

...Carefully watching the turn meter, I decided that Deoran had to run for it, despite the undefeated footpads. Passing to the left of my line, but with a Horseman or two as guards, Deoran reached the elves at turn 19/20.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Normal, 1.2.4
2) 6
3) Okay
4) Okay
5) I split my force, leaving some units to guard the south while I marched my main force north then west. I knew it was a bad idea at the time :-), and it proved tough to keep in charge of the fight on the north side of the mountain range. Fortunately my southern force was able to make feints into the river whenever things looked too hot, causing the AI to march his units back south.

In particular, I was bitten badly by Sir Gerrick's terrible movement, 1 in hills, and worst of all unable to enter mountains at all (I thought only horsemen suffered from this), making him into an ornament for most of the fight. This left me short of units to work with the white mage battling the undead in the mountains. I slogged it out for a few more turns, then gave in and ran for the exit.

Also the bats. Cheap, fast, always where you least want them.

6) 5 - interesting scenario, but a bit irritating in some respects; I'd probably like it better second time through, knowing the pitfalls.
7) Buy Sir G some hiking boots? And maybe drop the bats, the enemy has footpads already.
8 ) start gold ~400
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1. Normal 1.2.6
2. 5. I had to restart it once because I got careless and took to many losses.
3. Very obvious
4. Meeting the elves was nice, but fighting yet another bandit leader just felt like filler.
5. Crossing the river to get to the bandits base, without getting your units killed. I heard that you could recruit some merfolk in an early map which would have helped, but if that's true I missed the chance.
6. 4. Nothing really made it stand out, and the filler nature of the actual mission was annoying.
7. Nothing really comes to mind.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

1) Easy or normal.
(2) 3 I did not loose many units.
(3) Very obvious.
(4) I was bored of outlaws but elves are good.
(5) Nothing just kill urza.something and rule the castle.
(6) 8 I like kicking bandit ass.
(7) I think the 1 or 2 weaker elves should patrol the forest on look out.
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
Dwachs

Post by Dwachs »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) 1.2.8 - norma/medium
(2) 8
(3) clear
(5) I headed my troops to the west and tried to defeat the enemy's leader. However I got stucked on the peninsula in opposite of the river. Here I had to fight all those bats and undeads. In this level I lost a lot of money but gained much experience for the troops. On round 10 I sent Deoran to the elvish city, and luckily he arrived in time and the scenario was complete.
(6) 5 - since I could not kill the bandits leader ;)
Anym

Post by Anym »

(1) Civilian (Beginner), 1.4, English [US]

(2) 2: Very easy, at least if you cross the mountains to the north of your starting position and ignore Urza Fastik instead of following the road.

(3) Very clear.

(4) Mostly clear and quite interesting.

(5) None at all, maybe wondering if I was foregoing too much experience if I just followed my objectives instead of aggressively engaging the bandits.

(6) 5: Due to my course of action, not much happened.

(7) "Elves" is capitalised once when it shouldn't be. Maybe some bandits (or other monsters) should lie in wait for you in the forest east of the clearing.
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.
lsummer28

Post by lsummer28 »

Recruit 1.4.2

Decently clear.

It was okay. My introduction to how elves in Wesnoth are grouchy and vengeful, an interesting touch.

I can't even remember.

It just wasn't very challenging; I pushed through some miserable scraps of resistance and ran on to the castle thinking "Where's the actual battle?" Some ambushes a la the Long Road adventure would be appropriate.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Soldier (Normal) 1.5.6

2. Not quite a walk in the park (as there were enemies), but really very easy (even given the difficulty setting). The enemies come rather piecemeal, and there are only 5-6 of them.

Crystal.

Good dialogue, especially at the end with the elves.

None at all really, and it could have been made a tad bit harder.

2. The map is interesting, and the idea of getting to the citadel to meet the elves is nice, but the enemy poses no real threat. Not to mention that you can send Deoran around to circumvent them entirely.

More enemies, possibly a second keep to the north to make the player have to watch two fronts and emphasizing a push to kill the first leader in order to reach the elves.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time